Cygnus - Critter Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacEsq

Reaction score
Here is a fun little build ... the Cygnus Critter*. I got this off of eBay and later learned (or so it appears) that the Cygnus company may no longer exist, so I was quite happy with this find. Although it looks like you might be able to still find one here: https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Cygnus/Cygnus_Kits.html

It is a very easy build. The only thing different for me was that this was my first kit with a balsa NC. It also came with a considerable amount of nose weight (shot) to put up into the hole drilled in the NC, which you then had to epoxy into place and cap with a piece of dowel (this was missing from my kit) in the hole. It is this piece of dowel that you then drill and epoxy a small eye bolt into place to attach the recovery harness to the NC. The only other thing of note with this kit is that when I put the waterslide decal into the water it completely fell apart. My guess is that this was a very old kit and the decal did not age well. No worries .... Mark at Stickershock made me a replacement.

Here are the pics. One has a E9-6 next to it for scale.

2012-08-20_18-28-45_875.jpg2012-08-20_18-28-53_33.jpg2012-08-22_11-19-52_755.jpg2012-08-22_11-46-15_562.jpg

Here are the specs:

Laser Cut Fins
24" Parachute Recovery
Balsa Nose Cone
Length: 13.1""
Width: 2.60"
Weight: 4.8oz**
Recommended Motors: D12-3

The only modifications wee to put a mm to accept the E size motors and the addition of kevlar cord wrapped around the motor tube, up through the forward centering ring, and then tying that off to approximately 4-5ft of fabric elastic just below the top of the BT. I plan on putting AT reloads in it and possibly working it up to a F39-6T :y:

* I was not sure where to put this so please relocate to a proper gallery if necessary.

** Not sure where they got that weight. Mine is 7.3oz with recovery and no motor, 8.9oz with loaded AT reload in it. I did not do anything special to add to the weight so I am not sure how it is that far off. :confused:

Attachments

• 2012-08-20_18-28-25_398.jpg
    2012-08-20_18-28-25_398.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that is fun little kit to build. I have built two of them. Both remain unpainted. I build one in Iraq and the other in Egypt.

You have done a great job on the paint job.

Yes, it flys very nice. I have flown it on an E9 to an E85.

Welcome to the Cygnus Critter Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Cygnus Critter and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Cygnus: Critter:

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Cygnus Critter Basic Information.

cygnus.gif
Cygnus Model Rocket Company

MODEL NAME: Critter Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 13.1"
Diameter: 2.6"
Span:
Weight: 4.8 oz

Mfg. Description: Big and Fat! Oh Boy! (Cygnus 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

cygnus-critter-2009%20web.jpg
2009 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
* I was not sure where to put this so please relocate to a proper gallery if necessary.

** Not sure where they got that weight. Mine is 7.3oz with recovery and no motor, 8.9oz with loaded AT reload in it. I did not do

You did exactly the right thing. If the gallery you need does not exist or can't be identified, create one in the main section. I'll get it sorted away.

Thanks for the contribution

Back