NARAM-54

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
My bags are packed.

My airline, rental car and hotel reservations are confirmed.

My rockets have been safely shipped and received.

I've pre-order rocket motors.

I will see all you NARAM-54 participants Friday! :wink:

FlisKits will be there through Tuesday with a full booth and CAKE! Don't miss out on the cake :)

We're in NY for the night and will finish the trip tomorrow!

See you there!

NARTS stuff is in the trailer. Packing my stuff (whatever I can find after packing and moving a month ago) tonight. Leaving in the early AM tomorrow.

I'm curious for news on who our next President of the NAR will be, since Trip has indicated he is stepping down from that position.

-Kevin

Gotta work Sunday afternoon, then packing up to make it in time to fly Monday. (Actually most of my packing will be done tomorrow morning.)

I guess we have some chance of storms but other than that the weather looks good.

Looks like we probably won't break 90 degrees, which would be very nice.

It was a gorgeous day today, mostly clear blue sky with a few clouds, just above 80F (enough for me).

Today was my first:

1) NARAM
2) Group launch
3) F impulse flight
4) Composite motor
5) Reloadable motor
6) 3-stage

I had a bunch of fun. Met Sandman from Excelsior Rocketry and Mike from Estes.

From a posting on YORF, it appears Estes has A LOT of new kits in the pipeline!:D And they ALL look pretty kewl!:cool2:

Semroc's new offerings have awesomeness all over them as well.

If you're here, stop by and say 'HI'. I'll be running the NARTS booth all week.

It was a gorgeous day today, mostly clear blue sky with a few clouds, just above 80F (enough for me).

Today was my first:

6) 3-stage

That wouldn't happen to have been a pretty orange Commanche 3 that went missing for a while, would it? If so, I found it while out recovering one of our flights and turned it in to the RSO.

Regardless, great job on attaining lots of "firsts" in one day!

-Eric-

Usually it is the V.P. who is groomed and moves up to Pres.
I'm curious for news on who our next President of the NAR will be, since Trip has indicated he is stepping down from that position.

-Kevin

That wouldn't happen to have been a pretty orange Commanche 3 that went missing for a while, would it? If so, I found it while out recovering one of our flights and turned it in to the RSO.

Regardless, great job on attaining lots of "firsts" in one day!

-Eric-

Yes, that was it! Thanks for grabbing it for me. I was just about to go hunt for it when I saw it sitting there on the table. :handshake:

kj,

Semroc is developing the kit. The rocket in the photo is a prototype, and flew on a C6; I thought quite well! Carl was talking about possible going with a 24mm mount instead of the proto 18mm....more power!:D The maple seeds indeed descended gently, much to the entertainment of the crowd!

Eric, since I saw what you and your pa had loaded up in the back the other day I've been dying for a report - how's it going? Fly the Tarantula yet?

Eric, since I saw what you and your pa had loaded up in the back the other day I've been dying for a report - how's it going? Fly the Tarantula yet?

Chad, I'm still unwinding myself! I should be able to post a brief synopsis of our adventure a bit later today. In the meantime, YES! Tarantula flew to either 11,200' or 12,100'; it had the most *interesting* recovery I think I've ever encountered. Loc Magnum flew to 9000'+; Gouda Wooshka DIDN'T shred on an H400 V-max, we had 12 Tomahawks (mostly IQSY's, with a few others thrown in) on the range. The 2 stage Nike-Tomahawk worked perfectly and the two stages landed within 100' of each other. Didn't get a lot of sleep, but had lots of fun!

Row row row your boat, gently through the :y:

-Eric-

Chad, I'm still unwinding myself! I should be able to post a brief synopsis of our adventure a bit later today. In the meantime, YES! Tarantula flew to either 11,200' or 12,100'; it had the most *interesting* recovery I think I've ever encountered. Loc Magnum flew to 9000'+; Gouda Wooshka DIDN'T shred on an H400 V-max, we had 12 Tomahawks (mostly IQSY's, with a few others thrown in) on the range. The 2 stage Nike-Tomahawk worked perfectly and the two stages landed within 100' of each other. Didn't get a lot of sleep, but had lots of fun!

Row row row your boat, gently through the :y:

-Eric-
Sounds awesome, wish I would have made the trip. I think the GW has enough epoxy on those fins to hold up to an H4000! Thanks for the report, get some rest.

Yes, that was it! Thanks for grabbing it for me. I was just about to go hunt for it when I saw it sitting there on the table. :handshake:

You're very welcome! It was mostly buried in the alfalfa with only a bit of the yellow chute visible. I asked the only other people around what they were looking for; when the answer was not "Commanche", I figured it had been "lost" for a while and returned it to the RSO. Ironically, I've launched two Commanche 3's over the years (both D-D-D) and lost both, but I'm able to find someone else's...go figure;)!

-Eric-

First of all: Bob, nice meeting you at NARAM. Enjoyed the Initiator and Ventris flights after the fuse issue was resolved! Hope you don't mind me posting a bit of our adventure on your thread. Best of luck with all your flights the remainder of the week!:)

Here's a quick tale of our trip to Muskegon for NARAM 54. Formally, the trip began Friday evening shortly after 6 when we headed south from Manitowoc, WI (home). We stopped briefly in Milwaukee to pick up the almighty Gouda Wooshka, the Woosh club rocket, from Chad Rogers (thanks Chad!!!:cheers:). After looping around the south shore of Lake Michigan, we arrived about 6 hours later in Hudsonville, MI where we crashed for the night. Up early the next morning and to the field for setup and some sport flying!

Upon arrival at the field, we found the Muskegon Wastewater facility to be huge! Miles in every direction with occasional clumps of trees and one rather large liquid hazard (I was going to say "water hazard, but that wouldn't be quite accurate:eyepop:). No complaints here, this is a nice field for flying rockets!

Unload the truck, erect the EZ-UP, and assemble a few Tomahawks. My Dad (Tom) likes IQSY Tomahawks, and has a few in his fleet. After looking at my kit stash, his parts stash, and Stickershock 23's decal stash, we resolved to assemble a few new Tomahawks for the event. All together we ended up with 12 Tomahawks at NARAM. Here's a photo and a listing of the models:

1.jpg

From left to right:
Back row: 4" scratch built 'glass IQSY, 3" Performance Rocketry IQSY, 2.6" scratch cardboard IQSY, 2.25" scratch cardboard IQSY, 1.9" Aerotech IQSY, 1.6" scratch cardboard IQSY, 1.8" Estes D-Region, 3"-1.6" Estes-Rocketarium Nike-Tomahawk.
Front Row (little guys): Semroc .9" IQSY, Centuri .9" IQSY, scratch/Quest Sandia, scratch/Quest Nike-Tomahawk.

We even had a few non-Tomahawks on hand, including but not limited to: Tarantula, Loc Magnum, Gouda Wooshka, Semroc SLS Javelin (which the McLawhorns signed...thanks!), and an Estes Ranger clone in case I ran into the Estes' (didn't see them before we left Sunday pm).

2a.jpg

Tomahawk Tom was first to the pads with the smallest of his IQSY's; the 1.6" version flew well on an F29 Imax and recovered easily on the field.

4a.jpg

...and a link to a liftoff photo posted on NARAMLive.com:https://www.naramlive.com/naramlive-2012/naramlive/02saturday/images/CIMG4145.JPG

Now, day 1 had what I considered to be a light wind; probably 6-10mph out of the North. Only problem with this light wind is that a wind out of the North blows directly to the hazard on the South end of the field "THE BIG ICKY". More on that later. Anyway, after determining that with a bit of angling, a properly sized drogue, and maybe a bit of luck, my favorite Magnum should make it through the day dry, I set out to fly the bird on a CTI L851 White. After a bit of smoking on the pad while coming up to pressure, the Magnum shot off the pad, stayed on a true flight path, and topped out at 9225'/9188' before deploying the reefed drogue. The main deployed on cue at 900' AGL, backup was seen at 600', and the big bird landed softly in the alfalfa about 500' East of us, 300' off the road. A great flight that started and ended well, yeah!;) Sorry no photos, but Tom from New Mexico took oodles of photos, so maybe they'll appear somewhere.

Next up was Gouda Wooshka (GW), a rocket that a team of Woosh members assembled, prepped for flight, and was RSO'd in 7 minutes and 57 seconds at NSL 2009. Now the "club rocket", GW has now flown 17 times, at 10 different locations in 6 different states, at 14 different events by 9 different (that's for sure) flyers on 5 different manufacturer's motors. GW flew on a CTI H400 Vmax this time around; after a quick boost, she recovered gently near the contest range. Here's static photo and a really blurry liftoff photo; with Tom's 2.25" IQSY Tomahawk awaiting a ride on a G78 Blue Streak on pad 5:

8a.jpg

10a.jpg

Gaining confidence that we were conquering the "THE BIG ICKY", we finished out the day by flying another pair. Tomahawk Tom flew his next largest IQSY on the next alphabetical letter; a 2.56" model with an Aerotech H123W. After finding the right "ignitor that could", the IQSY flew straight and true and yet again recovered uneventfully Southeast of the range, several hundred feet shy of "THE BIG ICKY".

My old Level 1 and Level 2 bird from y2k turned in it's second-to-last flight. The old bird has flown all of the Aerotech 38-480 and 600 loads, along with several of the 240,360, and 720 loads as well. It's also lofted on AMW, Loki, Kosdon, CTI, Sconnie, and now Gorilla loads. Michigan is its 6th state in which it has flown over. Anyway, the Gorilla I324 Red Twister was the motive power and the pretty red flame boosted "Gateway" to about 2000' before deploying the chute and descending over the contest range. Here she is on the pad, and then at the edge of the contest range looking out towards the sport range, vendor row, and tent city.

11a.jpg

13.jpg

That's all the flying we did on Day 1. Also did a little shopping, visiting, and eating! Altough we were tempted to stay for the evening activities, we were more tempted by the nearby Berlin Raceway. On the way, we stopped for gas; while there, a praying mantis sized me up for supper.

15.jpg

Berlin Raceway in Marne, MI was entertaining and interesting: it has no wall/fence on the back-stretch, and is more of a slightly squashed circle than an oval. The straights aren't long at all, but the turns are wide enough that plently of speed is carried through them. Among the classes, the outlaw late models were the fastest (pictured in the photo). Celebrating their 62nd Anniversary that night, Berlin Raceway was offering $1 beer and $1 hot dogs....good deal!:flyingpig:

19.jpg

Back to the Holiday Inn Muskegon for a few hours of rest!

-Eric-

The alarm clock sounded at 7; soon after we took to the streets of Muskegon en route to the launch site. Not a lot of people out at 8am on Sunday in Muskegon. Arrived at the field promptly, set up camp, and started prepping. After avoiding "THE BIG ICKY" all day Saturday while the winds were out of the North, we were confident we'd stay away courtesy of the light-to-non-existant winds out of the South on Sunday! Tomahawk Tom prepped his 4" IQSY while I prepped the Tarantula. Tarantula was ready to fly 9 minutes before the range opened and was on the pad shortly thereafter. As a precaution, we angled it a bit East to keep it away from "THE BIG ICKY". And so, an early morning, sun in your face, really lousy photo of Tarantula standing proud on the pad:

21a.jpg

Shortly after 10am, Tarantula took to the skies on its second voyage, this time on an Aerotech M1419W. The volumous white smoke and yellow-orange flame scooted the tall bird to 11,000+ feet. I was able to track it all the way down, occasionally catching reflections off the booster. The main came out as prescribed, and it disappeared behind a set of trees to the East-Southeast of the sport range. We drove off to an approximate landing site and upon arrival I was disappointed to find that I had no signal from either of my two trackers on board. From experience, this told me that they were likely under water, or rather under some other liquidous solution. So, I climbed the hill to the bank of the shore of "THE BIG ICKY", and sure enough, in the middle of the East end of Lake Muskegon Poopee was my Tarantula, or rather the chute and the nosecone:shock:. Being a fiberglass rocket, the rest sunk. Okay, at least we knew where it was! How hard can retrieval be??

23.jpg

We headed back to the range and tryed to launch Tomahawk Tom's 4" IQSY before setting out on a recovery mission. While arming at the pad, we quickly picked up that the Perfectflite was only giving us 2 beeps rather than the 3 indicating continuity on both channels. So, back to the pits for some diagnosis. In the meantime, I found Range Master Rob (who did an absolutely fantastic job conducting the Sport Range by the way), and discussed our "BIG ICKY" issues. After he completed some work, we set off to analyze the situation. The good news was that A) the chute and nose cone were still floating, and B)They weren't more than a few hundred feet off of the Eastern shore. The bad news was that the means of potential retrieval was at the other end of "THE BIG ICKY"; which happens to be oh, almost 2 miles away. Furthermore, there is no way to get the rowboat in and out of "THE BIG ICKY" from any place except for the Northwest corner, as it is the only place bordering the lake that doesn't have giant rock piles prohiting entrance/exit. This beach area is the only area where the rowboat may depart and dock. After some discussion, the voyage begins. I'll spare the intricate details, but I will mention that the little row boat traversed over 3 miles of partially treated sewage, retrieving the Tarantula, and another flyer's Magnum in the process. This was verified by odometer courtesy of the chase vehicle on shore, as well as aerial maps. Anybody care to guess how easy it is to get a 40 pound booster over 5' long into a boat when it's completely filled with another 30 pounds or so of liquid?:horse: By the way, props to Tommy at Adept, the onboard Adept 22 started beeping out altitude after pulling the fully flooded ebay from the sewage...that's impressive!

Here's the captain upon his return to shore after a 3+ mile row. In the following photo looking southeast, the Tarantula rested half way between that poor sap's head and the right edge of the photo, near the far shore, barely visible in the distance. Regardless, the bow carries both a Tarantula and a Magnum, while the stern carries an inch or so of oddly colored scented heterogeneous sampling of "THE BIG ICKY".

26.jpg

Rocket "laundry" was placed into garbage bags and the rest of the retrieved rocket components drained and placed on a tarp and returned to the flight line. After a change of shoes, clothes, and a good wash up, we were back at the pads with the 4" IQSY. After diagnosing the wire that jumped out of the screw terminal, this time the twin Perfectflites chirped the right song at the pad. Here Tomahawk Tom starts the chirping.

30a.jpg

An augmented igniter brought the AMW K570 White Wolf to life quickly, and the largest of the Tomahawk group flew as true as its smaller siblings. Straight to about 4000' with a gentle angle into the wind and away from "THE BIG ICKY". The dual deploy worked flawlessly and the IQSY settled gently into a small patch of open grass between a small clump of trees. The majority of the rocket rested on the ground while the chute hung low on a tree. Nice flight:handshake:!

Naramlive has a pair of photos of the liftoff: Here and Here.

Rounding out the weekend, we each flew one more rocket. Tom flew an Estes D-Region that was upgraded to a 29mm mount first, courtesy of a nice slow burning Aerotech F22 Black Jack. The motor seemed ideal for the rocket, as it took off majestically to just the right height. Recovery was just East of the pads.:D.

A link to the naramlive liftoff photo: Here

On the same rack, but launching a few minutes later, my 1/5.5 scale Nike-Tomahawk was to take its maiden voyage on an Aerotech G138T staging to a CTI E31WT at T+ 3.5 seconds. I was/am really excited about this bird; in fact I have a brief build thread HERE on YORF (which I need to update!). This rocket was a marriage of the new Estes Pro Series II Nike Smoke and the Rocketarium Sandia Tomahawk. I'll save the gory details for the YORF thread, but essentially I took a stock Rocketarium Sandia kit, extended it a tad, added some Semroc cones for scale fin attachment, added some custom decals printed on Sirius Rocketry decal paper, and mated it all to the superb new Estes Nike Smoke. The Nike offering from Estes is flat out awesome, and I have to give a shout out to Estes for helping me out getting this done in time!:cheers: Apologies for the poor shot, but here it is on the pad; you may notice that the color scheme is not that of the "typical" Nike-Tomahawk...you are correct, this is modeled after the N-T's launched from Siple Station, Antarctica in December 1980-January 1981:

33a.jpg

On to the flight; the single progressive grain shot the Nike-Tomahawk off the rail with surprising speed and accelerated much quicker than anticipated. The two stages were climbing at a good clip when the E31 lit up 3.5 seconds post liftoff. The E31 sent the Tomahawk sustainer out of sight, towards some clouds just West of the range.

Naramlive's boost photo: Here

The booster arced over and deployed the 30" Top Flight chute just past apogee. The chute partially fowled before fully opening about 500' up. I spotted the sustainer's orange Top Flight thin mill chute against the cloud and tracked the sustainer to the ground. The sustainer and booster landed within 100' of each other, a nice break after the 3 mile poop row earlier in the day. While out recovering the N-T, I found a 4" Madcow nosecone which was returned to the RSO...I recovered nearly as many rockets/pieces from others' flights as my own. Booster in foreground, sustainer in background:

37.jpg

We packed up while the Mercury launches occured. We took one last stroll down Vendor row, but most had packed up for the day. We had a great time and another wonderful adventure at NARAM! I need to do a separate post just for the "Thank You's", but in the meantime, just know we had a great time and appreciated all who made the event great! Best wishes for the remainder of the week!

-Eric-

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Eric! Quite the ordeal with the Tarantula, certainly one you'll never forget!

Man, I love the G138 flame. The New Blue Thunder has an instant-on flame, unlike normal Blue Thunder, which has a faint orange flame which turns blue after a few feet.

Latest posts

Back