Eagle Claw 4/ Talon 4?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoehahn

Reaction score
Hey, Im working on my L2 and have pretty much narrowed it down to these kits, and had a few questions.

1. Is the talon 4 from GLR in phenolic or magna frame worth getting? Im trying to track down an eagle claw 4 that can get shipped soon because I procrastinated too long in ordering.
2. Would you go with an AT 54/852, 54/1280 or Gorilla 54/1400 Motor for the flight?

Thats pretty much it, anybody have any experience with the GLR talon 4? thanks.

Tim is out until the 7th, so if he ships it on the 10th or so, It would get here about 2 weeks later, which gives me about 3-5 days to build and paint :/

Hey, Im working on my L2 and have pretty much narrowed it down to these kits, and had a few questions.

1. Is the talon 4 from GLR in phenolic or magna frame worth getting? Im trying to track down an eagle claw 4 that can get shipped soon because I procrastinated too long in ordering.
2. Would you go with an AT 54/852, 54/1280 or Gorilla 54/1400 Motor for the flight?

Thats pretty much it, anybody have any experience with the GLR talon 4? thanks.

I have the Eagle Claw 4 and would recommend it over the Talon. The Eagle Claw is all Fiberglass and will stand up to a lot more abuse than the magna frame tubing. I say this because I know 2 other folks with the Talon and were not happy with how the airframe held up. Only issue is the Eagle Claw will weigh a bit more. Mine weighs in at 17lbs W/O motor. Yes I over build. The min motor I would use is my 54/2000 case. My K670 EX motor sims out to 3500'. The 1400 might work with a high thrust motor depending on your final build weight.

I would prefer fiberglass, But i wasnt sure about the magna frame. I hope i can find one, or ill have to delay some launches at NERRF 8 and maybe LDRS

I have the Eagle Claw 4 and would recommend it over the Talon. The Eagle Claw is all Fiberglass and will stand up to a lot more abuse than the magna frame tubing. I say this because I know 2 other folks with the Talon and were not happy with how the airframe held up. Only issue is the Eagle Claw will weigh a bit more. Mine weighs in at 17lbs W/O motor. Yes I over build. The min motor I would use is my 54/2000 case. My K670 EX motor sims out to 3500'. The 1400 might work with a high thrust motor depending on your final build weight.

Hi, this is Kent from GLR. If someone isn't happy with my Talon4's, it's news to me and I welcome knowing who they are or have them contact me so I can deal with any situation, my phone number follows.

It is so frustrating when a nameless person says "I know so and so and I heard they didn't like such and so". How is a vendor suppose to answer and defend against nebulous statements like this? We offer T4's in Magnaframe, Dynawind and yes filament fiberglass.

Knock yourself out, buy what you want. Creativity and new technology are the greatest loosers.

Kent/GLR (original designer of the Talon 1997)
620-727-0045

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree. First post and bashing a vendor?! Bad form!! Talon's have been around a long time and are great rockets. Many copies, only one original.

I looked at both rockets and bought a Talon 4 in the dynawind frame. A couple of reasons why.
The dynawind frame in my opinion will give me all the strength I will ever need (fiberglass coated magnaframe applied under high pressure.)
with much less weight than the filament wound fiberglass. This allows me a much greater range in motors as I can fly several 38mm motors with the adapter.
I just finished a Talon 3 with dynawind frame and the quality fit & finish is very good.
The Talon 4 when ordered with the dynawind frame comes with top notch kevlar recovery equipment minus parachute and a fireball to boot. I would have ordered the GLR
recovery stuff anyway even if I did buy the Eagle Claw (which I almost did) From what I can gather from the feedback on these forums both are great kits. Personal choice my friend.
The original Talon design is Kent Burnett's baby so I kept that in mind when I made my decision. I am also a L1 and bought the Talon 4 for my L2 attempt at LDRS This summer.
In fact it just came in the mail today!
Good luck on your decision.

Good stuff glenbo. I have my eye on the Talon3 later down the road. Can you post some pics of the 3 as well as the kit contents for the 4?

I own a number of fiberglass kits; I like it, but I also like cardboard.

Every material has its place, and I would have zero problem buying a Talon 4, if that were a kit I was interested in. I have plenty of 4" airframes. I want a Talon 6. :D

My understanding is that MagnaFrame is similar to Blue Tube, in terms of its properties. It's not necessarily 100% the same material, but it's similar.

I'd have no problem recommending someone buy a Talon 4 -- one of the local guys has one he's been working on for a while, and it's a solid kit.

I'll also add, I have a working relationship with both Wildman and Giant Leap, and consider both fine companies. Both have treated me well over the years, and I recommend people buy from both companies with confidence that they'll receive a quality product, and be treated well.

-Kevin

Last edited:
No problem Grouch, Im just waiting for the final touch to come from Stickershock & I will post my T3 pics and content package of parts from my newly acquired Talon 4.

Kent:
I saw on the New site "4" ELIPSE" coming soon, You have any time frame on that??

FIRST HAND EXPERIANCE.......

I do actually own 3 of the 4 talons They are well designed kits but lets concentrate on the one asked about

THE TALON 4
Mine is of the dynawind variety... very strong tubes i have dropped it twice now from apogee at about 67 fps failed main deployment (dont ask:bang:) no damage and was able to fly it again with no repairs. now for the down and dirty numbers from the RAVEN2. this was a flight on a LOKI 54/2800 L1400 WHITE motor
talon 4 hutto.jpgtalon 4 hutto 2.jpg

[Axial Accel (Gs) 74.24
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-AGL)] 7495
[Altitude (Baro-Ft-ASL)] 7741
[Velocity (Accel-Ft/Sec)] 743
[Velocity (Accel-MPH) 506

Talon4's look like great performers to me

Last edited:
Kent:
I saw on the New site "4" ELIPSE" coming soon, You have any time frame on that??

Yes Gary, I want to upscale the Elipse to four inch, make some adjustments to the fin shape and maybe add a different style of Fin-ders, 54mm motor mount. I cannot start on that until the new revised Mariah 38 comes out next week, the M54 after that, M75. The Elipse changes won't be difficult to do though.

I didn't have a chance to thank you for coming to the last LDRS at Argonia.

Kent/GLR

Good stuff glenbo. I have my eye on the Talon3 later down the road. Can you post some pics of the 3 as well as the kit contents for the 4?

Here you go Grouch: Talon 3 "Yellow Jacket" Talon 4 contents will follow.
DSCN1775.jpgDSCN1779.jpgDSCN1773.jpg

I'm about to throw the Binder Design's "Excel" 54mm kit I bought a few months ago on the workbench and start assembly now that my LOC Bruiser is finished.

With that in mind, I'm always looking forward to that "next" build. I think I liked the looks of the Talon 4 - might be my next build!! Its a good contrast to the Bruiser (which is a big fat rocket). This looks nimble. Hell, it looks FAST just sitting on a launch pad.

I was checking out the GLR site at https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/products/kits_sport_talon.aspx#Talon_4 and I think there may be some typo's. Under the grey "upgrades" section under the rocket it lists prices for Talon 3. Since the Talon 3 listed above the Talon 4 has its own upgrades section, I'll assume that the upgrade/price section under the Talon 4 is correct even though it says Talon 3??

I'll be making a final decision in the next month, depending how fast I work on my Excel kit. Dual deploy is new to me so I'm not sure what I"ll be running into.

Glenbo - love the Yellow Jacket design!!!

Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry for the confusion, chalk it up to new website issues. Call me at your convenience and I'll get it straightened out. Thank you.

Kent/GLR
620-727-0045

I bought the EC4 from a friend, Plan on buying a talon 2,3 and maybe a mariah soon tho.

dear friends,

first of all regards from Munich *prost*...Now my question on Eagle Claw / Talon: I want to use contrail hybrids, meaning a 36 inches tube in 54mm or a 40/53 inches motor in the 75mm version.
Would that fit in one of the models? Looks the eagle claw has got very long MM..may work for the 54mm contrails? what about Talon 4 and 6 (for a 75mm hybrid)? How long is the MM?

Thx for your advise folks...
D.

dear friends,

first of all regards from Munich *prost*...Now my question on Eagle Claw / Talon: I want to use contrail hybrids, meaning a 36 inches tube in 54mm or a 40/53 inches motor in the 75mm version.
Would that fit in one of the models? Looks the eagle claw has got very long MM..may work for the 54mm contrails? what about Talon 4 and 6 (for a 75mm hybrid)? How long is the MM?

Thx for your advise folks...
D.

In regards to the Talon4, the motor tube is 34.5" long. If you don't mind having the motor stick above the motor tube, knock yourself out. The Talon6 was redesigned several years ago expressly to accept the longer Contrail motors. It has a motor mount tube 75mm x 60" long. I was hoping Contrail would come out with the Trojan Hybrids but apparently that never happened.

Kent/GLR

Hi Kent,

this sounds like the beginning of a dream ...

:))

Now tell me you've got the Talon 6 also in a double deployment version adapted to our European pocket launch sites (your website says single deploy) ....and then I will have a sleepless night *lol*..?

In regards to the Talon4, the motor tube is 34.5" long. If you don't mind having the motor stick above the motor tube, knock yourself out. The Talon6 was redesigned several years ago expressly to accept the longer Contrail motors. It has a motor mount tube 75mm x 60" long. I was hoping Contrail would come out with the Trojan Hybrids but apparently that never happened.

Kent/GLR

cool now i have another point of arguement towards getting the boss to let me complete the set......

Back