Estes - (Astron) Invader (K-19 or #1219) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I cloned one of these one summer when I found myself overloaded with balsa. I actually got it to fly and glide, never great, but with interesting acrobatics. Looped and boosted into a power line on the last flight, the ignition and post-mortem being the pics shown here.:horse:

Invaderfatalignition.jpg

Zachwiththepost-crashAstronInvader9-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built a couple of those over the years and they have always been really touchy on getting them trimmed for any sort of glide. I think the extremely close-coupled design (together with the very low aspect ratio wing) makes this configuration pretty difficult to get working. But it sure is fun to try....

Sorry to see that yours had an 'unplanned' flight event

I have built a couple of those over the years and they have always been really touchy on getting them trimmed for any sort of glide. I think the extremely close-coupled design (together with the very low aspect ratio wing) makes this configuration pretty difficult to get working. But it sure is fun to try....

Sorry to see that yours had an 'unplanned' flight event

"AN unplanned flight event"?! Actually, several.:wink: One time it did a tight loop off the pad and power pranged. Turned the struts into balsa dust. They literally crumbled in my fingers.:rolleyes: I bought a couple of the BMS Clone of the Month Invaders a few years back. By that time I was just buying them to support the program. I was pretty much done when mine pranged the wire.:D

I have built two full-scale versions and one MicroMaxx downscale of the Invader. I could never get them to do anything but quickly loop into the ground. Both of the full-sized clones destroyed themselves in the process but the MMX version (built with 1/64" plywood) lives on.

No pad pictures, but here are photos of:

• my first Invader clone
  • my Micro Invader downscale

Astron Invader #1-001.jpg

MMX Invader.jpg

Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Invader (K-19 or #1219) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Invader (K-19 or #1219) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: (Astron) Invader: K-19 or #1219

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Invader (K-19 or #1219) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Ivader Also known as: Invader

NUMBER: K-19 or #1219

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1967
Designer: Ron McClaren

Type: Boost Glider, Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Glide
Stages: 1
Length: 11.8"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span: 8.7"
Weight: 0.89 oz

Mfg. Description: Flying Saucer? UFO? The Astron Invader is a truly unique boost glider. Recommended for the experienced modeler, the Invader gives top duration flight after flight -- fascinates spectators with its performance and appearance. Comes in kit form with complete instructions (less engines). (Estes 1966 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-invader%20k19-1966%20cat.jpg
1966 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

estes-invader%20k19-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
So... This one is very confusing to me. It's just a flat plate... What is supposed to make it stable in pitch? Normally, there's a separate stabilizer, or canard, or S-airfoil, or something to provide a nose-up moment to counter the pitch-down moment from CG being ahead of CP. The farther away CG is from CP, and the larger the balancing nose-up moment, the higher the stability margin... With zero aerodynamic pitch-up moment, the glider CG must be on the CP and so result in zero stability margin...

What am I missing?

Ari.

Back