Estes - Stinger (#1905) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
EstesStingercloneatB6-4Field-1.jpg

Another clone built around a decal from my long ago Ebay haul.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes Stinger (#1905) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Stinger (#1905) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Stinger: #1905

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Stinger (#1905) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Stinger Also known as:

NUMBER: #1905

Introduced: 1983
Final Year: 1986
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer
Stages: 1
Length: 13.5"
Diameter: 0.976"
Span:
Weight: 0.98 oz

Mfg. Description: A sleek sport performer capable of flights over 1000 feet. Easy-to-build and fun-to-fly. (Estes 1983 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-stinger%201905-1983%20cat.jpg
1983 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-stinger%201905-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-stinger%201905-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever built an upscale of this rocket? I'm VERY interested in converting it to BT-80 size tube - already have the tube(s) and cone, and fin material (1/8" balsa).
Crank it up! I already did the same thing with the Estes Wizard like countless others before me who have supersized an old favorite. Looking forward to the pics. :cool:

Ok, here goes guys. Using BT-80 and 3/16" finstock, I was able to come up with the following. This was my first attempt at skinning fins, and I could have probably done better (if I had read more testimonials and tips/tricks from other users on here first). I thought they turned out pretty good considering - I'm going to prime and sand to smooth them out more. So far, I have everything I need (except for motor mount/centering rings, and motor tube - which I have on order - waiting patiently... *tap*tap*tap* ...is this thing on?

Please excuse my work table - it needs a cleaning/organizing (but if I did that, I then wouldn't be able to find anything that I needed WHEN I need it... LOL! Anyway, this is a really fun build and I hope it looks at least "presentable" when I'm finished. I'll add more pics as progress is made.

Opinions: Should I stick with 24mm motor tube or go up to 29mm?? I can always adapt down if needed. Anyone's thoughts or advice or...?

Now onto the fillets:

Attachments

• IMG_8569.JPG
    IMG_8569.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8574.JPG
    IMG_8574.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8579.JPG
    IMG_8579.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8581.JPG
    IMG_8581.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8582.JPG
    IMG_8582.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Opinions: Should I stick with 24mm motor tube or go up to 29mm?? I can always adapt down if needed. Anyone's thoughts or advice or...?

Now onto the fillets:

I would absolutely go with the 29mm mount. You can always adapt down to 24mm if you like.

When building upscales I'm almost always upsizing the motor mount to one size larger than I think I'll need.

I would absolutely go with the 29mm mount. You can always adapt down to 24mm if you like.

When building upscales I'm almost always upsizing the motor mount to one size larger than I think I'll need.

I ended up clustering two 24mm motor tubes. I got impatient and just went with what parts/supplies I had - would have had to order 29mm tube and motor mount/centering rings...

stingertubes.jpg

I DO have the Maxi Alpha I'm going to build next - I will order some 29mm tubes/rings and boost that one up.

So, I started over... the original build did not look to scale - and they weren't by about an inch surrounding the fins - everything else was good. After recalculating the scale factor (on the original, I was off by .5 on the scale) and cutting and attaching the fins, they look perfect! IMO. 😌

I built everything the same - motor mount (clustered C/D/E 24mm bp motors). Attached are photos of the new build. Hope you like the final outcome so far (although I guess that's yet to be determined - will need to find a big field to fly in). Comments/suggestions/kudos welcome and accepted! 06 media.textnow.com.jpg05 media.textnow.com.jpg09 media.textnow.com.jpg

Last edited:
Back