TLP HAWK MIM23A FINISHED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
Well folks ,this is the last of my TLP builds for the season.

It`s the HAWK MIM23-A

El Phantasmo is doing a build also ,his is the 23B ,the main difference being the aft steering fins.

Cheers

Paul T

phpv8TbIkPM.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in.

So I can see how mine should have been done.

:pop::pop::pop::pop:

Don`t worry ,this will be the last of this nonsense until next Xmas ,cause I`m getting weary ......

All work and no play ,makes Paul T a dull boy :y:

Paul (redrum) T

Fit damn it...fit !

imagesCAA2BM6K.jpg

Here`s the little hat all formed and glued ,but no finishing epoxy as yet.

Paul T

php9BQOogPM.jpg

phpIadD75PM.jpg

phpkj1pCuPM.jpg

popcorn.gif

For a change ,you`ll see very little text ,cause a picture is worth a 1000 words...and change :2:

Paul T

Tip cut off ,so that after NC extension is glued on ,Gorilla Glue Polyurathane (expands into a foam in moisture) can be poured in through other end.

NC sanded where extension will be glued on for better adhesion ,and washed down with alcohol.

***NOTE*** I always wash my NCs styrene ,poly or FG in soap then alcohol to remove mold release agents ,cause you don`t want to scrub that stuff into the plastic/FG and get bad paint adhesion....right ! Then wipe down again after sanding.

Paul T

php8l8fvnPM.jpg

phpZpHPBBPM.jpg

phpDHzsOiPM.jpg

The area that accepts the "hat" gets a 120 grit scrub ,so the finish epoxy can "key" into the grooves.

Fin.Epox. was then heavily brushed into the hat until it turns translucent and soaked ,then exrta is added and the whole thing plopped onto the nosecone and eyeballed ......hey ,it works :rolleyes:

The NC is placed upright so the epoxy runs down ,and any extra that seeps out is wiped away with alcohol and let to cure for a couple of days.

Tail cone next and pretty much same process as per coating with Fin.Epox. so no text (keep in mind, I`m a two finger keyboard diddler ,so this is a time waster :wink:)

If it`s important ,I`ll mention it !

Right

Paul T

phpRw2B3EPM.jpg

phpjX2dHQPM.jpg

phpvEbJVUPM.jpg

phpMnpghnPM.jpg

phpeiOw5gPM.jpg

I used my own heavier card stock for the tailcone ,that`s jst me of course.

For some reason, the aft end of the TC must extend 1/8" past the the centering ring ,whatever.

And as usual, I use my own motor tube ,aluminum lined (but sure if it helps ,but it is heavier stock...and I found a BUNCH of 24mm motor tube in my stash ,all 2 feet long and heavy wall.....BONUS ,cause i have a "fun" build in the wings (3x24mm cluster long thing ,a la mean machine type )

Paul T

phpqEyUHMPM.jpg

phpQFfIiYPM.jpg

phpSKyL7fPM.jpg

phpTFUrUcPM.jpg

phpZwZgIqPM.jpg

This is the 2 part fin template to make the fins.It is indeed a large fin ,but I have an idea to make it look better ;)

Paul T

phpFnTIvRPM.jpg

The pattern is taped togther ,but it`s just not right.How can this thing steer itself ?

Cut that SOB apart shall we.

Paul T

phpmJdhVTPM.jpg

phpo8t4KGPM.jpg

Using my Basswood ,I`m cutting the "main" fins .

The other fins I`ll cut seperately .

Paul t

phpDlnsC5PM.jpg

phpgpzXFhPM.jpg

The main fins have been cut.The pencil lines you see are my sanding giudes for the bevels ,all hand done of course with sandpaper and a block of wood ......no S%$t seriously !

Paul T

phpjZlup8PM.jpg

phpXn5kGmPM.jpg

Hey "T" and anybody else who cares about where I do my sanding...like it`s anybody`s business LOL

Well ,I`m in a good mood, so I`ll show you my sanding box.

It`s 2 feet wide ,4 feet wide and 8inches deep.

The top is peg board and the sides are pine boards ,the bottom is 1/4" plywood.

I have a 4" hole in the front ,so it goes to my main dust collector or add the adaptor and the Shop Vac does it.

Place the stuff you want to sand on top ,turn on the switch and BOOM ,no dust BS.

***NOTE***If you use a shop vac or similar ,wrap an old T-shirt around the filter.This will catch the fine dust before it gets to the air filter ,because the fine dust will clog it pretty fast.Easier to clean that T-Shirt filter than the main.

You can tell pretty quick when your vacuum is suck holing for air.Just listen and feel for suction.

My shop also has two hang up air filters @ 650 CFM and still can`t keep up with dust.

POINT- do it outside :wink:

But it works !

Raul T

php39y7LmPM.jpg

phpMt0A6fPM.jpg

phpr6PqExPM.jpg

Last edited:
Tailcone done.Final fill and sanded ,then coated with thin CA and sanded with 400 .....done.

Paul T

phpMb3TOsPM.jpg

phpqKNDggPM.jpg

I got the main fins sanded ,and beveled.

Not an easy task ,as they are very long and being only 1/8" thick you have to take care.

Paul T

phpfA3moEPM.jpg

phpPQvqsNPM.jpg

phpWiSXmbPM.jpg

Nose cone done, and the Gorilla Glue is all foamed up.

Just a little sanding on the seam and done.

Rock solid !

Pau T

phpcmA3D5PM.jpg

phplKRT2nPM.jpg

Hey "T" and anybody else who gives a S%$# about where I do my sanding...like it`s anybody`s business !

I have a 4" hole in the front ,so it goes to my main dust collector or add the adaptor and the Shop Vac does it.

Place the stuff you want to sand on top ,turn on the switch and BOOM ,no dust BS.

***NOTE***If you use a shop vac or similar ,wrap an old T-shirt around the filter.This will catch the fine dust before it gets to the air filter ,because the fine dust will clog it pretty fast.Easier to clean that T-Shirt filter than the main.

You can tell pretty quick when your vacuum is suck holing for air.Just listen and feel for suction.

My shop also has two hang up air filters @ 650 CFM and still can`t keep up with dust.

POINT- do it outside :wink:

But it works !

Raul T (according to Jamaicans)

That is a very good set up you have. Thanks for the pictures and the filtering discription.

Very nice. Do you have any internal bracing for the peg board or do just put a heavy/stiff sanding plate/surface on the peg board to do the sanding? IOW, you don't normally have your part to be sanded on the PB itself?

--David

Very nice. Do you have any internal bracing for the peg board or do just put a heavy/stiff sanding plate/surface on the peg board to do the sanding? IOW, you don't normally have your part to be sanded on the PB itself?

--David

It`s actually a pretty stiff surface ,so no bracing needed (the pegboard is 1/4" thick)

To get better suction when sanding smaller parts ,I will blank off a portion of the sanding table ,say maybe half ,just using cardboard.

I do usually have the part sitting on a rubber pad ,the king used for hand routing, it`s non-slip and about 1/4" thick.

Paul T

Back