Rocket City Rednecks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yippee, another show to make rocketeers look like screw-loose idiots blowing stuff up.

:rolleyes:

Yippee, another show to make rocketeers look like screw-loose idiots blowing stuff up

Absolutely agree.

I would like to see NAR spend some of there extra money and demand the show make a disclaimer protecting the reputation of good honest rocketeers.

Cornyl

I will say, though, that ethanol as an EX fuel is quite interesting.

I'll give this a watch, see what it's like.

Some idiot will end up blowing himself up trying Some idea he got from the show....this kind of cr*p is not what we need.

I simply wonder what “rocket scientist” at the National Geographic channel decided to schedule this new show directly against Mythbusters?

Otherwise, this kind of show would have seemed the sort of thing that Discovery would have as a companion show to air right after Mythbusters. Airing it during Mythbusters is going to hurt its ratings since many who might have watched this will watch Mythbusters instead. I’ll see both anyway, thanks to the wonders of a dual-tuner Tivo.

BTW Mythbusters has some sort of rocket myth next week, involving an anti-tank rocket.

- George Gassaway

For some reason I can't get the video to finish loading. I've tried numerous times with 2 different browsers and nothing. Oh well.

Did any of you bother to read the descriptive text to see that we're not talking about run of the mill rednecks? That most of them are NASA scientists with PhD's? I venture to say that most know more about what they are doing than WE do...

Yes, I read the descriptive and I fully understand that the guys on the show are intelligent enough to do this sort of thing. I will bet my savings that they probably exhausted every safety measure they could think of in the process also. The problem is that just using the term "redneck" in the title is going to cause some real "redneck" (to be taken in the most derogatory way) to figure he can do something similar. Then we'll read an article in the newspaper about some guy who was experimenting with "model rockets" and blew his arm off, or worse.

Redneck

Wikipedia =Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor white farmers, especially from the Southern United States

Merriam-Webster = sometimes disparaging : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class

Jeff Foxworthy defines redneck as possessing “a glorious lack of sophistication,”

While I fully believe that the individuals in the show are highly qualified on the educational level to do everything they are doing. I feel that they do not meet either Wikipedia's or Merriam-Webster's definition of "redneck"; however I am sure that they have meet Jeff Foxworthy's as have most of us.

I can understand that producers use of the word, even though it is derogatory. What show are you more likely to watch -

Rocket City Rednecks

or

NASA PhD's make things Fly

Just My :2:

I think some of you are jumping to conclusions. The show hasn't even aired yet. How can you pass such harsh judgement without even seeing it first? I for one think it looks like a fun and entertaining show.

the name of the show prodding stupidity is absolutly preposturious.

"rednecks"...

another point that is lacking on rednecks being slandourous is "where does the term come from"
Kind of like a farmers tan was a social (issue) in the 20's and 30's women who had to work fields actualy wore long sleves so they didnt get this tan...

problem is that just using the term "redneck" in the title is going to cause some real "redneck" (to be taken in the most derogatory way) to figure he can do something similar.
No... i verily disagree... you obviously dont know any REAL "ignorant hicks"
err, hold my beer and watch this guys....
youtube is the biggest promotor of stupid is, stupid does.....rednecks, friday night, and iphone, means "shenanigans" is a foot.

ask my wife how "ignorant hicks"- er - rednecks rid thier yards of gophers....
(i tell you it was loud, the ground shook,... and theve never been back..)
or just youtube gopher be gone...

The one point i will agree with, is that the name, does slander the hobby a bit. you can make an assertion, the uneducated public will be washed into believing only rednecks would have such a hobby. but i think it stops there really. And if the edgucation comes out in the way the white trash talks, people will see that they arent "ignorant hicks" which is more for the south east, than is a redneck. But, they are stereotyping a region, not a person.

Yes, I read the descriptive and I fully understand that the guys on the show are intelligent enough to do this sort of thing. I will bet my savings that they probably exhausted every safety measure they could think of in the process also. The problem is that just using the term "redneck" in the title is going to cause some real "redneck" (to be taken in the most derogatory way) to figure he can do something similar. Then we'll read an article in the newspaper about some guy who was experimenting with "model rockets" and blew his arm off, or worse.

Actually, we're more likely to see articles about guys "trying to do tricks they saw on a television show". Kinda like when you see the articles about people doing stuff they see on Jack@$$ - they don't talk about the implements used, they talk about whatever it was that gave them the idea...

We have something like this every so often. We had absolute outrage over Master Blasters, and how it was going to be "The End Of Rocketry As We Know It"...you know what happened? Nothing. This wasn't about the show itself, by the way...every single episode that aired triggered outrage on this board. Each time - nothing happened.

We had the tv commercial showing a father launching his AT Initiator and it going ballistic into his wifes car, and it was going to be "The End Of Rocketry As We Know It"...you know what happened? Nothing.

Then there was the Verizon commercial where they tried to download something before a rocket hit a target downrange that was going to be "The End Of Rocketry As We Know It"...you know what happened? Nothing.

This is more of the same. Sit back, relax, crack open a beer and enjoy the show.

These guys ain't real rocket guys, they are much too good looking, got all their teeth and their bellies are way too small, but this is reality TV on a trusted scientific channel like Nat Geo so it must be true! I think they need to bring in a hot intern so she can make custom nosecones with expandable foam while wearing a Daisy Duke outfit. "I say, Honey you put the Sugar in that there motor!" Yipee! Forget the beer, I'm goin' for the hard stuff during prime time. Heck, we are looking at a 25 share in the first season! Boy, I hope I can tune this one in on my UHF. Yeppers, this is Definitely "The End Of Rocketry As We Know It!" But at least it will get the Jaded Public off the couch and back into shootin', brewin' and distillin'.

We have something like this every so often. We had absolute outrage over Master Blasters, and how it was going to be "The End Of Rocketry As We Know It"...

I would have thought "October Sky" would have been more damaging to the hobby than those others. Mainly because people would be in their basements making sugar rockets in steel pipes. This is what started model rocketry in the first place- people trying to make rockets that turned out to be dangerous. Model rocketry gave people something that actually worked and worked safely. People that got interested in rocketry since then whether through Master Blasters, October Sky, or whatever probably discovered model rocketry and went that way instead of making their own dangerous stuff.

Somewhere I've got a stack of clippings that my brother in law accumulated back in the early 1960's, with articles about kids being injured while trying to make their own rockets with metal casings and improvised propellants.

I would have thought "October Sky" would have been more damaging to the hobby than those others. Mainly because people would be in their basements making sugar rockets in steel pipes. This is what started model rocketry in the first place- people trying to make rockets that turned out to be dangerous. Model rocketry gave people something that actually worked and worked safely. People that got interested in rocketry since then whether through Master Blasters, October Sky, or whatever probably discovered model rocketry and went that way instead of making their own dangerous stuff.

Somewhere I've got a stack of clippings that my brother in law accumulated back in the early 1960's, with articles about kids being injured while trying to make their own rockets with metal casings and improvised propellants.

Don't mess with October Sky - it is our backwoods creation myth. Everything in that movie is 100% true, like our gospel. Homer was a pooooor boy redneck from a downtrodden High School next to the coal mine. Rocket City Rednecks, Master Blasters and Myth Busters are continuing the legacy of our fine "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" tradition. At least I can say I was Country when Country wasn't cool!

Did anyone recognize the kit that was used for the moonshine rocket? It appeared to be a 4" fiberglass kit with canard fins.

I don't recall the name of the kit but I got it from Wildman. Then the canards on the front are actually cowlings that I built to house 2 GoPro Hero cameras. The cowlings protected them even when the chute didn't deploy and it became a lawn dart. We had the avionics set for 1000ft because I'd done my RockSim sims without the cowlings and camera mass. Cameras were a 1 hour before launch request from head camera guy. The rocket altimiter said it went to something like 893 ft or something close. Rog found it on the ground right by the lawn dart. The biggest rocket I ever worked on was the Ares I-X. That flight went perfectly.

Hey y'all,

I looked through this thread and realized that y'all don't have the true definition of redneck on it. Websters is incorrect historically. Wikipedia is closer. The term has 2 origins. One in Europe from the 1600s or earlier but unrelated to the one here in the U.S. most likely. In the U.S. it appeared in the 1800s refering to the family farmers who had everything they owned on their farms. If something broke they had to figure out how to fix it on the spot with what they had or they might go hungry or bankrupt. They had red necks from sunburn regardless of what a previous post says. This is documented and there are historical references to this. So call me a redneck = hard working+clever+resourcful+family centric. Anytime. And btw, a hand full of Germans and a city full of Rocket City Rednecks built the rockets that went to the Moon!!!!!

I've been building rockets all my life and my Dad built actual parts on the Saturn V. We didn't cut any safety corners other than I will always empty the chute charges before hooking them up in the future. It was a pretty benign rocket compared to others we do in other eps. And we pretty much keep things below a couple miles so we can launch them near my home. We had FAA and ATF approvals on everything. And, I'm trying to show a new generation that they don't have to go to the LDRC to build and fly and have fun. Oh, and we do drink lots of beer in the process. And we do keep local college Aerospace Eng students on board (I teach Rocket Science at the Univ).

Regards,
the "Ringleader"

Oh, and yes it was the RattWorks tribrid motor. I had a homemade one about halfway built but just ran out of time and so we cut it from the show. We only get from Fri-Sun to figure it out, build it, and do it. Whatever "it" is.

Redneck

Wikipedia =Redneck is a historically derogatory slang term used in reference to poor white farmers, especially from the Southern United States

Merriam-Webster = sometimes disparaging : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class

Jeff Foxworthy defines redneck as possessing “a glorious lack of sophistication,”

While I fully believe that the individuals in the show are highly qualified on the educational level to do everything they are doing. I feel that they do not meet either Wikipedia's or Merriam-Webster's definition of "redneck"; however I am sure that they have meet Jeff Foxworthy's as have most of us.

I can understand that producers use of the word, even though it is derogatory. What show are you more likely to watch -

Rocket City Rednecks

or

NASA PhD's make things Fly

Just My :2:

The show I am most likely to watch would be called "Yeah Baby, you could be a Rocket Scientist too!" A really hot chick is the unfortunate room mate of a bunch of rocket geeks in a really tight housing market. She designs and makes them fly pink oddrocs that actually work, all in remote and exotic locations. Mike Meyers could be the Austin Powers like geek. OK, there is already a show kind of like that on TV that I have never really watched.

Maybe with a reality show twist where the geeks have to compete for her affection by doing stupid stunts - all in the name of Science. OK, there is already a show kind of like that on TV that I have never really watched.

Maybe one where her Ex Hunk but really stupid boyfriend comes back and the geeks have to get their revenge, OK, there is already a show kind of like that on TV that I have never really watched.

Golly, I just realized I don't watch much TV after becoming a BAR. Is that a good thing?

Travis,

I, for one, would like to congratulate you on the show. I personally really enjoy it, and wish you and your family/friends continued success. I love the show because it just shows you all having fun, and really, that's always my main goal in rocketry - to have fun! If we're not having fun, what's the point, right?

Mark

Hey y'all,

I looked through this thread and realized that y'all don't have the true definition of redneck on it. Websters is incorrect historically. Wikipedia is closer. The term has 2 origins. One in Europe from the 1600s or earlier but unrelated to the one here in the U.S. most likely. In the U.S. it appeared in the 1800s refering to the family farmers who had everything they owned on their farms. If something broke they had to figure out how to fix it on the spot with what they had or they might go hungry or bankrupt. They had red necks from sunburn regardless of what a previous post says. This is documented and there are historical references to this. So call me a redneck = hard working+clever+resourcful+family centric. Anytime. And btw, a hand full of Germans and a city full of Rocket City Rednecks built the rockets that went to the Moon!!!!!

I've been building rockets all my life and my Dad built actual parts on the Saturn V. We didn't cut any safety corners other than I will always empty the chute charges before hooking them up in the future. It was a pretty benign rocket compared to others we do in other eps. And we pretty much keep things below a couple miles so we can launch them near my home. We had FAA and ATF approvals on everything. And, I'm trying to show a new generation that they don't have to go to the LDRC to build and fly and have fun. Oh, and we do drink lots of beer in the process. And we do keep local college Aerospace Eng students on board (I teach Rocket Science at the Univ).

Regards,
the "Ringleader"

And apparently that's what we're going back to... If you read the other thread on this...

Apparently "Doc Travis" and "brains" (and I use the term loosely) think that if you're not making propellant in the basement and shoving it in steel pipes, then you're not "really" into rocketry.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Oh well, everything goes in circles... We'll see idiots abusing the privilege of flying rockets, see onerous regulation slam down, forcing folks wanting to fly rockets "underground", where the lack of knowledge and safety will result in accidents and death, and then eventually someone will want to "do something" to minimize it by arguing for legalizing factory-produced motors...

Later! OL JR :)

Back