16 Jul 11 club launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
Our club had a launch on Saturday morning...but we moved the hours to 0730-1130 because it's so friggin hot by mid day. I basically jumpseated in that morning at 0530, prepped rockets, packed the car, and made it out about 0800 ourselves.

On to pics and video!

First, pictures of the day's fleet (upright Saturn V is a plastic model, not miine, but same scale as N-1):

Fleet%252520Pic.JPG

Fleet%252520Pic%2525202.JPG

Saturn%252520V%252520and%252520N-1.jpg

Alpha III 2 stager - C6-0/C6-7 - Flew this combination in the same configuration as the last club launch. But this time, it was viciously unstable:
Alpha%252520III%252520launch.jpg

Alpha%252520III%252520turn%2525201.jpg

Alpha%252520III%252520turn%252520x.jpg

[YOUTUBE]nrgCb3QnSG8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]y8J36Kdy3m0[/YOUTUBE]
I think the reason it was unstable this time was due to me rotating the lower stage 60 degrees to the upper stage. I'll have to do another swing test...

AGM-69A SRAM - C6-3 - Not changed from last time, but because the winds were so much less, the rocket flew much nicer, with only a slight spin:
SRAM%252520Close%252520Up.jpg

SRAM%252520Launch.jpg

SRAM%252520Climb.jpg

Mini Saturn V - 1/2A3-4T - Couldn't get a good pic of the rocket on the pad because the camera kept focusing on the grass:
Mini%252520Saturn%2525205%252520recovery.jpg

But the flight was stable, smooth with a good recovery. Will be a favorite of smaller fields in the future...

Estes SR-71 - C6-3 - Nice, straight flight up to the ejection charge, where the shock cord broke. But the rocket was recovered fine because the nose didn't weigh enough to open the chute fully, and the body tumble recovered. No damage:
SR71%252520liftoff.jpg

SR71%252520climbout.jpg

[YOUTUBE]nlSFEydnfJ0[/YOUTUBE]

N-1 - D12-3 - I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
N-1%252520Launch.jpg

N-1%252520Climb.jpg

N-1%252520Composite.jpg

The third picture is a composite of the flight showing the flight path. Luckily, the rocket fell flat, with little damage. Will need minor repair. But will probably not fly again. We think it's a 'drag stable' rocket like a saucer, but doesn't have enough flat surface. The other option is adding significantly more weight to the nose...but the rocket is already pretty heavy as it is.

Cosmic Cobra - C6-5 - Nice flight...good airborne video:
Cosmic%252520Cobra%252520liftoff.jpg

[YOUTUBE]09OASIq0N_k[/YOUTUBE]

Patriot Pro - 4xD12-5 - Awesome flight! Of course, it decides to parachute down on the only gravel road near the field. Minor damage to one fin:
Patriot%252520Pro%252520liftoff.jpg

Patriot%252520Pro%252520climb.jpg

Satellite Interceptor and Interceptor - C6-5 for both - Straight, nice, textbook flights with no damage...even caught the Interceptor while it parachuted down:
Satellite%252520Interceptor.jpg

Interceptor.jpg

Overall, a good day. 10 rockets launched, all recovered (plus one...Art brought my Patriot that I left on the field from the last club launch). 6 rockets had no damage, 4 with trivial to little damage. Only 2 rockets didn't fly as expected...though I was surprised by both as they had passed the swing test. Plus, I'm figuring out those keychain cams....

Time for repairs, building more rockets, and getting those boost gliders airborne...

FC

Sounds like a successful day. Very much enjoyed the pictures and videos. What video cam do you use?

That Patriot Pro sure looks nice. How does a fella go about gett'n plans to clone one?

Looks like you all had a great day at the Alamo field. From the videos it appears that there was very little wind, a rare occassion for China Grove. I would have loved to have been there but we had the Granddaughters birthday party to attend. We have another birthday on August 20 so it will be September before I get to another launch.

Sorry the N-1 didn't perform as expected but I'm glad you got to try it. It is a beautiful model, I'm glad the damage was only minor.

I really like the Patriot Pro and you got a great picture of the 4 Ds burning. I bet that was a great one to see in person. Good job of of cluster ignition there.

I've built three SR71s over the years and I had problems with shockcords on every one of them. Luckily they normally flat spin in after a separation. The cords Estes provides are not up to the task and the body tube is too small to upgrade to anything larger. I think it's the best example of why Estes needs to change over to kevlar.

Congrats on a great day of launching rockets!

Well done, from one fan of fin-free rockets to another. Noseweight is the answer for the N1, i think.
'Drag stable'. I like that. It's something you tell the RSO next time you fly it.

Sounds like a successful day. Very much enjoyed the pictures and videos. What video cam do you use?

One of those generic keychain cams. My wife did the research and bought me 3 for my birthday....I think she paid about 18.00 each for them. She said she searched around TRF to find recommended dealers.

Well done, from one fan of fin-free rockets to another. Noseweight is the answer for the N1, i think.
'Drag stable'. I like that. It's something you tell the RSO next time you fly it.

Heh, 'Yeah, it's drag stable...that's the ticket!' I was bummed about the N-1 though...I had put a LOT of work into making sure it was built strong, flight ready and decent looking. So having it fail fairly spectacularly was kind of a bummer.

But she's already repaired and awaiting paint. After that, I'll glue on the lattice fins and put her on display...she'll join a couple of other scale rockets that have been retired.

Now I can start on a mini version of the N-1...

FC

Hey man ,that`s a nice mixed bag of rockets you have there ,the N-1 is truly a real beauty......but in fact ,they all are !!

My buddy in our rocketry club has a nice Patriot that is also a cluster.It could very well be the same kit as yours.I must say it`s also a nice flier.

I`m hoping to get my Estes Saturn V finished also.Almost there ,just need to get the engine fairings cut and glued on,then prime & paint.

Sheesh ,I`d be aweful nervous about flying the N-1.Hope she flies again !

Take care

Paul T

Back