SCALE - (Convair) MX 774 Hiroc Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardust

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite rockets..The MX-774 HIROC by Advanced Rocketry Group in Canada. The import was painless and prompt delivery of the kit.

The build was fun with a bit of cutting on the tail cone for the fins.

I have flown it on Cesroni G50 Imax, G58 White...love it!

I hope ARG offers this kit again... I want another!

Ht.37.5" Diam.3" Wt.32oz.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Scale (Convair) MX 774 HIROC Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (Convair) MX 774 and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

ARG (Advanced Rocketry Group): Convair MX-774 HIROC:
Centuri: MX-774: KA-3 or #5003

as well as any other kits, upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even a Goonie qualifies!

The MX-774 was the United States' first attempt at an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM). In 1946, Consolidated-Vultee was given an Army Air Forces research contract and began design and development of the MX-774, which led to Convair's development of the Atlas ICBM.

Last edited:
MX 774 HIROC Basic Information.

arg.gif
ARG - Advanced Rocketry Group

Convair MX 774 HIROC

NUMBER

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 37.5"
Diameter: 3"
Span: 7.75"
Weight: 32 oz.

Mfg. Description: America’s first supersonic rocket!

Historical scale model, an “in between” vehicle (V-2 and the Atlas), the Convair MX-774 Hiroc.

Our kit contains plastic nose cone, pre-slotted plastic boattail, laser cut centering rings, plywood fins and balsa laminate fins (for that true scale look).

Complete with a 38mm motor mount for the ascent and a highly visible 36” rip stop nylon parachute for the descent.

Spectacular Flights over 1500’ on a Pro38 G motor.

Overall length almost 38” tall, with a 3” diameter and a net weight of approximately 650 grams. (ARG 2010 Web Ad)

arg-convair%20mx774%20hiroc-2008%20web%20livery.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.
See Also: LINKS

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I just finished kitbashing the Estes Bull Pup 12D into a sport scale Corvair MX-774 Hiroc.
I think everybody has an extra Bull Pup kit sitting idle. Finding these kitbash instructions gave me a good reason to build it.

I went back an forth between Mr. A. Roger Wilfong's kitbash directions and the old Centuri instructions.

Mr. Wilfong's kitbash directions are here;
www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/mx-774.htm

You can see the entire build thread at my blog:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

It's very robust built around a BT-55. The kitbash stands at 16 1/2", much taller than the old Centuri kit at 11".

Post copied to gallery with permission

28 MX-774 017.jpg

My kitbash MX-774 flew today at the N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, Florida.
Vertical first flight with a German made Quest B6-4.

Looking back, it probably didn't need the two pats of clay supplied with the Estes Bull Pup kit. But I put it in anyway.
With its trailing fins and slightly longer body it should be stable without it.

Good altitude anyway, full deploy and no damage.

Post copied to gallery with permission

NEFAR launch 8.14.10 005.jpg

Centuri MX-774 (KA-3 or #5003) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: MX-774 Also known as:

NUMBER: KA-3 or #5003

Introduced: 1970
Final Year: 1981
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 11"
Diameter: 0.908"
Span:
Weight: 1.1 oz

Mfg. Description: Inspired by the V-2, the MX-774 was developed by Convair Aviation under contract to the Air Force. It includes many "firsts" now considered standard in liquid fuel rocket design. Centuri's accurate scale model of this famous rocket includes all parts, step by step instructions and a two page scale data sheet. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-mx%20774%20ka3-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

centuri-mx%20774%20ka3-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-mx%20774%20ka3-instr%201.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Refurbished an original Centuri KA-3 MX-774 over the past couple of weeks so that it had the proper paint scheme. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. Hope to fly it next weekend.MX-774.jpg

Back