Quirky Two stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amsterdam

Reaction score
I ruined one of the rings on my estes twin factor.
hastly made an upper stage for it.

Never tried saucer to fin staging
53532F76-14A6-4439-B208-8280227E261B.jpg78A5AB4B-5CA7-40A8-8375-FA6F1A0DB650.jpg

That actually looks very cool. My main concern would be if it's traveling too slow when it stages, in which case the upper stage could go off in any direction.

Also, is that gap-staged?

No gap between the motors

speed never even occurred to me ha! Thanks for bringing that up!
I’ve only been worried about How wobble prone saucers are.

I was confident the tilt wouldn’t be more than 15 degrees but that was assuming the upper stage took right off and both stages would still be accelerating

A test with a spent casing and some weight in the upper stage should tell me if it’s going fast enough.. I think

That actually looks very cool. My main concern would be if it's traveling too slow when it stages, in which case the upper stage could go off in any direction.

There’s only one way to find out! We need a flight report.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

At first I thought the saucer had a continuous solid leading edge / face... but now I see the light.

That's a neat idea!

Saucer 1st stage.jpg

Credit for the saucer part goes to John Boren, it’s from Estes Twin Factor kit
unfortunately my second stage ring got ruined when my cat stole it off my desk

Might be fun to try different second stage designs too, if any one has one I’d love to hear it

something draggy but not necessarily a saucer might be better suited than the 5 fins and a NC.

78490D96-CCE8-4C1B-85D9-A5995549B7FF.jpeg

E79CA3DC-3EC3-474A-B15C-472D2DC33CF1.jpg

haha gonna have to wait for the snow to melt off my field, I’m in Michigan so.. I have no idea when that’ll be lol , but i intend to share the results!
No need to wait for spring, our club flies year round in WI, snow or no snow. Nice thing about snow is you don't need fire suppression equipment. Makes for soft landings too!

Back