TRF Summer Build Off: SSC - Spiral Spin Can

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly, you could probably do a rotation fin can sandwiched between standard fins using loosely nested body tubes and graphite as a dry lubricant. I remember some helicopter designs doing this. I think it was a QCR heli

I suspect, based only on a very quick mind sim, that option 3 will be not just hard but impossible to calibrate, because I don't think their effects will remain proportional as the rocket's speed varies. The torques applied by the two sets of fins should be proportional to one another, but the transmission of torque through the bearing is probably not.

Fixed fins with no cant at all would provide some rotation resistance. Adding a tiny cant would be somewhat better, so if it were me I would just do that and call it a day.

And I'd probably use canards because, despite their detrimental effect on stability, they just look cool.

True that option 3 would be nearly impossible to calibrate; however I'm not aiming to keep the main body perfectly still...some rotation is fine and while the extra canard would help with that, I think the bearings alone should be fine. Additionally, I agree that fixed fins/wings with no cant will help provide some rotations resistance; however from what I recall, it usually will result in a gradual spiral flight. Just to make it a triple, I agree that canards would look cool. :cool:

My real rocket science buddy at ULA says true spin stability for model rockets only occurs when a high spin rate is achieved before leaving the rod. So you have to get the spin powered up by canted motors or like a monocopter. Like those illegal (except for Wyoming) flying diamond fireworks from China. He also says model rocket Gas Dynamic Stabilization is doable and that he can make it work. I wait with baited breath!

I say you can fly anything with enough brute force and nose weight. That power and nose weight won't solve all yer problems, but takin' care of 98% of 'em ain't bad. Brute force over complex aerodynamics, your thick winged Fokker D7 vs. my 400 hp Liberty motor. Hey there, hold my beer while I put in a bigger motor! So much for the high level of science going on, think I just brought it down several notches.

Actually I think your rocket science buddy is wrong (about this). :cyclops:

More precisely, he doesn't have the correct idea of this design. Regarding "true spin stability for model rockets only occurs when a high spin rate is achieved before leaving the rod", that's true if you're going for a rocket that relies solely on spin stability such as a stick with a nose cone, no substantial nose weight and a straight tube, but not in this case. Almost like saying that a Toyota Prius doesn't use electric motor propulsion since it also has a gas engine.

EDIT: I guess I'm at fault too since my OP noted spin stabilization; however it should more appropriately be "spinning to augment stabilization" or something like that. I figured it was clear what I was going for given the pics of the rocket with fins since fins are the main form of stabilization we use in rocketry (although maybe not for Daddyisabar ;)). I've added clarification in OP.

Regarding GDS, it is doable and can work...in fact, it's patented! ;) However I feel it is very inefficient and impractical. A lot of the motor power seems used just to draw in air from the sides into the lower extended tube, which in a way acts like a rear ring fin due to the airflow drawn to/through/around it (IMHO).

Actually there may be a way of reducing spin forward of the rotation fin can, although it will be a blunting rather than elimination and will cost you drag (doesn't everything?)

Set of big standard fins forward (or even aft, or both) of the spinning fin can. These will resist rapid rotation, will add to stability if they are still aft of the CG. OF course, they also sort of violate the point of spinning fins. Short chord long span would be best. Had to look up m fin nomenclature for that one

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?10393-Fin-Surface-Nomenclature

Might give it a Satellite look. Would certainly add to the cool factor.

Those may work; however as you've mentioned, it would add drag and I'm now thinking more and more that bearings are the way to go. As it is, the current design is very streamlined and aerodynamic...adding fins to counter spin will add drag and reduce performance. Still, I'll consider adding small canards just to see and compare. Since my builds are (so far) modular, I can add a forward fixed slightly canted canard (quite a mouthful!) and even switch different versions (ex. no cant and larger)...the big limitation is my ability to build variants fast enough and also have time to launch them.

Interestingly, you could probably do a rotation fin can sandwiched between standard fins using loosely nested body tubes and graphite as a dry lubricant. I remember some helicopter designs doing this. I think it was a QCR heli

I think this would also add drag...from what I saw in the counter-rotating version, it's very draggy to have air slapped around from one direction to the other...almost like a box hitting wind. However this would likely be better for a low and slow odd-roc version like the VTOL. I do like the dry lube suggestion and may use it!

Wow...this thread revolves from "pun wars" to "think tank"! :surprised:

Last edited:
My mental picture for pre-spinning the rocket is to use a jet of compressed air directed at the fins, open up the valve, get it spinning fast, and launch.

Trust me... It'd be a Gas seeing that!

My mental picture for pre-spinning the rocket is to use a jet of compressed air directed at the fins, open up the valve, get it spinning fast, and launch.

Trust me... It'd be a Gas seeing that!

How about using latent/rubber band power...wind it up and put it into a tube, release at/before ignition and Zoom!

However that may be a stretch. ;)

In all seriousness - Well, OK, some seriousness - I was thinking of pre-spinning the can on an HP version with an electric motor and a dedicated battery, i.e. the battery is separate from the one running the deployment system. Put a diode in the motor circuit and the motor will just run until the battery voltage is lower than the motor voltage, as either the battery runs down or the can spins fast enough to become a generator (actually, both) and then no more current flows. Gear the can speed up faster than the motor speed and then the motor's drag will look small to the can.

Some time ago there was a guy who built a football shaped rocket that was spun up on the pad. Not the same thing at all but it popped to mind, so...

In all seriousness - Well, OK, some seriousness - I was thinking of pre-spinning the can on an HP version with an electric motor and a dedicated battery, i.e. the battery is separate from the one running the deployment system. Put a diode in the motor circuit and the motor will just run until the battery voltage is lower than the motor voltage, as either the battery runs down or the can spins fast enough to become a generator (actually, both) and then no more current flows. Gear the can speed up faster than the motor speed and then the motor's drag will look small to the can.

Oh, so you mean a motor within the rocket? I'm not sure about that one...sounds very complex and may be hitting the gray area bordering on "guided" - I'd doubt it, but if someone finds motors and such inside, they may assume the worst first. Also see below for what I thought you meant...

I believe it was a drill, but was not hidden. IIRC he was on TRF.
An electric drill hidden under the pad to get the can spinning?

I think I've seen/read about that too, but don't recall where it was.

Here's the video of the finless spin stabilized rocket I thought jqavins was thinking of (at 1:41 you can see the way it works and it uses a hand drill):
[video=youtube;d4bbZzFe-ik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4bbZzFe-ik[/video]

Earlier failures show the drill setup better:
[video=youtube;ItEItMvK6Ck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItEItMvK6Ck[/video]

Oh, so you mean a motor within the rocket? I'm not sure about that one...sounds very complex and may be hitting the gray area bordering on "guided" - I'd doubt it, but if someone finds motors and such inside, they may assume the worst first.
From what I understand, and this is all second and third hand, "active stabilization" is legal on the way up; it's only targeting on the way down that's a problem.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...use-just-a-little-guidance&highlight=guidance

But yes, it would be complicated, which is why I was not entirely serious. And it could get heavy, which is why, if one were to do it, it would only be on an HP version at a later date.

Got some "rotation recognition patterns" laid down on the 18mm rockets. Should fly them this weekend.

2016-07-02%2000.21.58-1.jpg

2016-07-01%2022.42.09-1.jpg

You should try to get a grant from DARPA... Who knows what kind of thing could spin off from this design.

WWWWaaaaalllll... Nuts...

Just don't let that fin can jam, then the whole flight might go squirrely.

Okay, got some flights in this weekend, but results weren't exactly what I was looking for...

First I flew the 18mm recog pattern rockets:
2016-07-03%2010.48.01.jpg

"Mr. Twisty" on the left flew up beautifully...very straight and high and left a beautiful spirally exhaust trail:

[video=youtube;-qigxgXkhMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qigxgXkhMw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

"Something Screwy" on the right flew up and weathercocked a bit, but landed close. It think "Mr. Twisty" flew better since "Something Screwy" had a spin collar that had a bit of binding - video started late and it's not that good, but I took it, so I'll show it anyway...:

[video=youtube;FOiR5WWOEuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiR5WWOEuQ[/video]

The results weren't what I was looking for since the rockets went up so fast that there was no chance of me seeing them...I believe I need a high speed video camera in order to catch what is going on. Also the pads are kind of far from the rockets, so even 18mm is hard to see. Maybe I'll make larger and launch on a smaller motor...or maybe just jump to 29/38mm and do it there. :confused:

Also tried a drag race between one with non-spin (red and black on left) vs. one with spin (white, yellow and blue on right), but non-spin didn't lift off. Video isn't much since both only had 1/2A3 motors. The spin one seemed to be straighter and landed closer than the non-spin.

2016-07-03%2014.30.21_1.jpg

Last edited:
Finally I tested out one with an acrylic fin can in appropriate Red, White and Blue colors:

2016-07-02%2000.47.58-1a.jpg

2016-07-03%2011.29.25.jpg

Flight was okay, but not ideal or high since I had more nose weight due to the heavy spin can; however on landing on the packed dirt, one of the fins had a small stress crack. This means to me that acrylic is too fragile for this since you're twisting it a bit to fit around the spin collar, so there is stress already present. Oh well.

Good news is that I can now focus on the 29/38mm. To the drawing board! :)

This means to me that acrylic is too fragile for this since you're twisting it a bit to fit around the spin collar, so there is stress already present. Oh well.
I don't know how one would do this, but I wonder if it would be possible to aneal the acrylic after forming. Is there a temperature that woulkd successfully relieve internal stresses without allowing the material to sag? And would it help?
The squirrel army is nothing to laugh at...you know what they're after! :wink:
Then surely they should not be mocked with pictures of well armed gophers.:bangpan:

Okay, got some flights in this weekend, but results weren't exactly what I was looking for...

"Something Screwy" on the right flew up and weathercocked a bit, but landed close. It think "Mr. Twisty" flew better since "Something Screwy" had a spin collar that had a bit of binding - video started late and it's not that good, but I took it, so I'll show it anyway...:

[video=youtube;FOiR5WWOEuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiR5WWOEuQ[/video]

The results weren't what I was looking for since the rockets went up so fast that there was no chance of me seeing them...I believe I need a high speed video camera in order to catch what is going on. Also the pads are kind of far from the rockets, so even 18mm is hard to see. Maybe I'll make larger and launch on a smaller motor...or maybe just jump to 29/38mm and do it there. :confused:

Rats! So much for the best laid plans of mice and Ken...

I don't know how one would do this, but I wonder if it would be possible to aneal the acrylic after forming. Is there a temperature that woulkd successfully relieve internal stresses without allowing the material to sag? And would it help?

Then surely they should not be mocked with pictures of well armed gophers.:bangpan:

Not really...acrylic is just naturally brittle. Lexan is much better, but it is more expensive and I don't think it comes in the cool fluorescent colors.

Speaking of gophers, while heading to retrieve a rocket by the river bank, despite care with every step, my left foot went through the top layer into a deep hole (up past my knee) which a gopher had dug...I had a split second thought of some animal fighting my leg thinking I was invading it's home and pulled my leg out very quickly!

WWWWaaaaalllll... Nuts...

Just don't let that fin can jam, then the whole flight might go squirrely.

Actually the exhaust plume reminds me of a squirrel's tail! :D

Rats! So much for the best laid plans of mice and Ken...

Squirrels, gophers, rats and mice! Oh my! :)

Come to think of it, acrylic probably can be used; however I would need to use thicker (equals stronger) pieces and also add a bigger recovery device so that it would slow it down more on descent.

Also a side note that when making that first acrylic fin can, I had started experimenting a bit with using heat to form the acrylic to the twist, but didn't get to far...the first attempt resulted in too much deformation.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, acrylic probably can be used; however I would need to use thicker (equals stronger) pieces and also add a bigger recovery device so that it would slow it down more on descent.

Also a side note that when making that first acrylic fin can, I had started experimenting a bit with using heat to form the acrylic to the twist, but didn't get to far...the first attempt resulted in too much deformation.

Heat forming the acrylic would relieve the static stress. Acrylic is very strong but I don't see it doing well upon impact if it already has a high preload on it.

Back