Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just how are you in the know, that it would limit voters? Assuming, only a small number of folks have a google account? And lets face it. Just because we're all birds of a feather here, doesn't exclude the dishonest person. Greed is grows exponentially all the time. I did like Neil did. I cast my votes and left. But I also gave thought and wondered if someone could vote a bunch of times just so they would win. I was tempted to try it so I could report the flaw in the voting system. And if you don't manage it where a person only has one chance to vote, then it's flawed.
And I will ad, no matter how you spin it,twist it, ask about it,call it,color it, doesn't matter cuz there will always be someone that will have a BITCH about it. UFB!
IDK, maybe this will be the only Summer Build Off. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Seriously people... it's not this difficult. Cast your vote and leave. I'll put in a spot for TRF Username, and a confirmation box that this is your only vote. I could put in a script to track IP addresses of the votes, but to be honest, I don't have the time or effort to put into that. And besides, all someone has to do then is vote from a few different devices. There's no way to ensure that someone will only vote ONE time.

And I will ad, no matter how you spin it,twist it, ask about it,call it,color it, doesn't matter cuz there will always be someone that will have a BITCH about it. UFB!
IDK, maybe this will be the only Summer Build Off. :facepalm:

Scotty, I'm not bitching. I'm stating the obvious. FWIW, I do understand the complexities of organizing something of this nature all the way down to throwing a birthday party. It's never easy. I have had no issues with this whole contest in any fashion. Except until now. And I am certain you and everyone else involved has tried to make sure you dotted all your "I's" and crossed your "T's".

One of the important things to keep in mind though, is that, there is always someone that will feel envy or jealous of someone else because their efforts didn't quite measure up. In turn it is possible that said jealous person might fix the problem by hammering away at the voting system just so they could win. (my X wife comes to mind) Have you ever felt like you deserve to have one of your great brain storms get the attention from a manufacturer and become the next "cool kit" on the market? Only to find that someone else got chosen for an idea that makes you question "What? They chose that, and not mine? I worked so hard on this design and their design is stupid simple" I'm sure you know what I talking about.

And another FWIW here, I got in this contest because it would be fun, win or loose, it doesn't matter to me either way. But not everyone is like that. Some people feel they deserve more than they get or earn, so they take it.

Food for thought.

I think we'll be fine. Let's have a good book-end to the contest by enjoying the vote stage. Then let Scotty and cwbullet sort it out, let the chips fall where they may. The point was to have fun and be creative, and we've done that. Big thanks to Scotty Dog, cwbullet, and blackbrandt! Mad props to everyone who participated, wether finished or not. :clap:

Sad fact: Scotty et al on the one hand and Gary on the other are both right. I don't think there will really be any cheating, but the possibility of cheating should be eliminated whenever possible. I don't think it's possible this time, and not a big deal. Perhaps next year the voting can be handled with more rigor, but for now let's fuhgetaboudit.

(A Google account is not only free but really easy. If it's in the rules from the start that voting will require one then maybe that would be OK? Just a thought.)

I think we'll be fine. Let's have a good book-end to the contest by enjoying the vote stage. Then let Scotty and cwbullet sort it out, let the chips fall where they may. The point was to have fun and be creative, and we've done that. Big thanks to Scotty Dog, cwbullet, and blackbrandt! Mad props to everyone who participated, wether finished or not. :clap:

+1

I had fun and saw some great work. Sure, the possibility of a prize at the end helped to encourage me to finish on time but the prize had little impact on deciding to enter the contest. I saw it as being much like group builds at the scale modeling site that I used to hang around in quite a bit.

+1

I had fun and saw some great work. Sure, the possibility of a prize at the end helped to encourage me to finish on time but the prize had little impact on deciding to enter the contest. I saw it as being much like group builds at the scale modeling site that I used to hang around in quite a bit.

+100!

I really enjoyed it and it was awesome to see all the different designs and ideas everyone came out with! It was an honor to share company with such a talented and creative group! :clap:

+100!

It was an honor to share company with such a talented and creative group! :clap:
Yes it is an honor to hang with a gang like we have here.

Anywhooo...THE END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to clean behind the ears,clip the nails,part the hair,tuck in the shirt and get that money shot of your bird.
My how space and time moves us threw the cosmos.
I refuse let go of summer at this place in space.

Good luck to all you rocket scientists.

Scotty Dog

This was a really fun project Scotty. Seen some amazing skillz come out of the woodwork because of this. A scratchers delight. Ya'll done good team.

New poll features are great, thanks blackbrant! Wish I could vote for everyone, this is going to be a tough one.

New poll features are great, thanks blackbrant! Wish I could vote for everyone, this is going to be a tough one.

I almost felt guilty picking a favorite... but I did have a favorite. Choosing second and third was incredibly hard, though; I really was impressed by all of them.

:cheers:Yea, looking back and trying to pick favorites is more tough than I thought.

Good luck everyone

I thought that I had it sorted out until it came time to vote. First wasn't that hard but second and third took a little while to sort out.

Wow! Excellent voting turnout! We already have 9 votes. Keep 'em coming!

Maybe the poll could be posted as its own thread in the general section? I'd be happy to do it but don't want the appearance of spamming for the sake of "vote meeeeeeee!". I bet a thread pleading for TRF members to vote would get a lot of participation.

To Matt/blackbrandt

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

GREAT job on the survey! I work in the market research/survey industry and I think the survey was really well done and thought out. :)

Thanks! Took me a while to get everything working.

Oh the suspense...

That's a great turnout with more than 3 days to go yet!

Does this mean there are actually just 52 TRF addicts out of the teeming masses of registered members?

Back