Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I REALLY would like to keep this thread simple.
That's why I didn't use the words "Scratch Build".Cuz, most know the worms that would crawl out of that can.:facepalm:
I'll have to work out a few things.
Mainly sorta the same rules back when PantherJon ran contests. And boy oh boy do I miss those days.
We had some really cool builds
I'm more interested in the look of the design.
If it flies straight and comes back in reasonable good shape, good enough for me.
Oh ya..I think it should be anything/size that could be posted in either MPR/LPR.
And Im thinking it should be a new design.To easy to pull a winner out of the built pile for some.
I want to see what people can come up with now when asked.
All rules are/will be governed by the honor system.

Ill see if there is any interest.

Lastly, Ill put up the prize(s) Crazy thing tho,the prize(s) will be a KIT(s)... :lol: I have more than I will ever build.
It will be well worth it to me to inspire some cool designs.
And to WAKE UP this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!
th

Last edited:
You'd probably need to post a beginning and end date, and to keep folks honest, have them post a build thread that shows their design progress, and flight results.

I am willing to hope with the judging and running of contests if they restart. It is too much work for one person.

I would love to see a contest/thread.

Probably won't be able to participate myself, as my build season is mostly in the winter, and I have extremely limited time for building during this part of the year. Still, I would love to see whatever other folks come up with. I KNOW ScottyDog will "bring it", (and will be tough to beat I bet).

Yeah, I miss PantherJohn too.

ssix

I am willing to hope with the judging and running of contests if they restart. It is too much work for one person.

Thanks.
I was going to get in touch with you. Could use the help and any tips to keep it SIMPLE.
One thing that is covered, for this contest anywhoo--- is the prize(s). I really have more kits than I need and have no issue donating a few.

I'm thinking run it a few months or the whole summer? Makes no diff to me. Call it a summer build off????????
I think most shy away because of a short time limit.
Again, for me, it is all about inspiring TRFers . We have a lot of newbies and would love to have them experience the thrill of seeing their own design take flight.
I know I was thrilled to see my first own designed rocket liftoff and return.

You'd probably need to post a beginning and end date, and to keep folks honest, have them post a build thread that shows their design progress, and flight results.

Agree. Not too worried bout honesty, but a few pics of the build would be nice eye candy for the forum users.

I would love to see a contest/thread.

Probably won't be able to participate myself, as my build season is mostly in the winter, and I have extremely limited time for building during this part of the year. Still, I would love to see whatever other folks come up with. I KNOW ScottyDog will "bring it", (and will be tough to beat I bet).

Yeah, I miss PantherJohn too.

ssix
Thanks for the nice comments. However no worry, being the so called sponsor , Scotty Dog will sit this one out. Ill be posting my summer ideas in "Scratch Built".

Over at a cruiser bicycle site I used to be active at, they do a custom bike build off every year. Starts May 1 (I should probably pop over there and see what people are starting) and runs through early August. Participants maintain a build thread detailing their progress. Then at the end, a summary & voting page is set up so that all registered users can vote for their top 3. The forum software does the tallying. I've participated in that build off 4 times:
P1012568b.JPGP1015550.JPGIMG_0588.jpgIMG_1262.JPG

Eventually I got a bit burnt out. The bikes got so well done - and so over the top - that I just don't think I could keep coming up with creative new ideas for it. It also became something of a photography contest, because you only got votes if your pictures showed well. The bigger issue then was, what do you do with an ergonomically-challenged custom bike when its all over?

With rockets, its an entirely different matter, at least as far as creativity is concerned, though I have no doubt there are a lot more imaginative folks here than myself. That's half the fun!

Over at a cruiser bicycle site I used to be active at, they do a custom bike build off every year. Starts May 1 (I should probably pop over there and see what people are starting) and runs through early August. Participants maintain a build thread detailing their progress. Then at the end, a summary & voting page is set up so that all registered users can vote for their top 3. The forum software does the tallying. I've participated in that build off 4 times:
View attachment 289943View attachment 289944View attachment 289945View attachment 289946

Eventually I got a bit burnt out. The bikes got so well done - and so over the top - that I just don't think I could keep coming up with creative new ideas for it. It also became something of a photography contest, because you only got votes if your pictures showed well. The bigger issue then was, what do you do with an ergonomically-challenged custom bike when its all over?

With rockets, its an entirely different matter, at least as far as creativity is concerned, though I have no doubt there are a lot more imaginative folks here than myself. That's half the fun!
WOW!! Cool rides. I built a few pedal bikes .I took two stingrays and welded them together and chopped it. A chopper built for two when I was about 12.
Only issue, I never could keep the chain on the two rings. The day I dropped it off at the dump,two kids loaded right back in their Dads' truck. ha ha

I think a summer build off sounds good.
So be it.

"The 2016 My Own Design Summer Build Off"

Hey, if it works out, I may just make it a summer annual.

I guaranty the prizes will make it worth entering. :eyepop:

My suggestions:

1) rules should be kept as simple as practical
2) Scotty said low/mid power, so keep it to 29mm (single) or 24mm (cluster) so that they don't get too big, or too expensive
3) start Memorial day, end Labor day
4) finished rockets should demonstrate flight worthy at a club launch, with photos
5) for safety, rockets should have a minimum 1.20:1 stability caliber, unless squatty design

Now, the next set of questions is: what criteria are they judged on? Flight performance? Finish & aesthetics? Most unique? Best use of the color green? Highest flight on a SU G80? Should there be more than one judging class, or should we just keep it simple and vote which is coolest?

I'm down. What are the rules?
There will be an official post announcing the contest rules, regs ,dates, prizes and all that jazz once its all worked out.
It will be MPR/LPR and cuz of cost , shipping to USA only.
Lots of time to put on the thinking cap.

My suggestions:

1) rules should be kept as simple as practical
2) Scotty said low/mid power, so keep it to 29mm (single) or 24mm (cluster) so that they don't get too big, or too expensive
3) start Memorial day, end Labor day
4) finished rockets should demonstrate flight worthy at a club launch, with photos
5) for safety, rockets should have a minimum 1.20:1 stability caliber, unless squatty design

Now, the next set of questions is: what criteria are they judged on? Flight performance? Finish & aesthetics? Most unique? Best use of the color green? Highest flight on a SU G80? Should there be more than one judging class, or should we just keep it simple and vote which is coolest?[/QUOTE]

Some good thoughts. Thanks
Judged on cool/unique factor. TRFers will be the judges. In the end,they will vote for whom they want.
I like the 29mm (single) or 24 (cluster) idea. Again,I would like to inspire newbies to enter.
One thing...I don't give a flying hoot about sims or any of the likes.Saying that, safety should always come first.
Design it,fly it,recover it, you are in.
Lots of people either cant or just don't do club launches. If you choice to fly at a club, all the better,they all have their safety check people.
I fly all me own in a field bigger than most clubs. I have no issues with others testing on their own grounds.
I agree that we should have proof of build and flight. After all, it is going to be an all summer long contest. Shouldn't be that hard for someone to post a min of pics and proof of flight.
Start/ End dates work for me..it is the SUMMER BUILD OFF.
I guess no posts of build until start date. Not saying one cant get the marbles rolling around now.

HMMMMMMMMMMM, I like the color green!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, although I don't have too much hope of finishing my own build before Labor Day. Look forward to seeing what others come up with!

One other question - let's say, I start a kickass new build, and finish it in July. Can I start another one, assuming its finished prior to the deadline, and enter both, or will have to choose which one is the final entry?

One other question - let's say, I start a kickass new build, and finish it in July. Can I start another one, assuming its finished prior to the deadline, and enter both, or will have to choose which one is the final entry?
I don't know? I guess we can leave that up for discussion.

ALERT:
You have used 4 of your allotted 5 question.:tongue:

So be it.

"The 2016 My Own Design Summer Build Off"

Hey, if it works out, I may just make it a summer annual.

I guaranty the prizes will make it worth entering. :eyepop:

Heres one I dug out of the pile..more to come.

DSCN3498.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. Now that the May 1st snow is gone, and we have had a couple of days with blue sky, there is hope that I could actually launch a contest design entry before the contest is over. :)

I am new here but this is a great idea. The first annual "Scotty Dog summer build off " just has a good ring to it. That is a good way to promote new ideas and designs. I am looking forward to this .
Thanks

Here's another one. A kit with COOL factor.

I have an idea for a surprise prize. Something that has not been done before. BUT, you'll have to wait for it..... :lol:

DSCN3500.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I'm in in spirit. (The near future holds much uncertainty.)

A rules point: a cluster of 2x24mm has been declared OK, so I suppose a 24mm two stage would be as well?

Back