Idea for Mobius Camera mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 of the Mobius cameras and shrouds for mounting on the airframe.

I know I have seen something like this but the idea escapes me:

I want a locking sled that I can mount the camera and slide it the lower part across let's say a 6" nose cone.
That way I can get a shot towards the horizon and but I can arm it and slide it in at the pad.

Any ideas?

My best performance has come from simply gluing the camera whole down to a shaped plate of fiberglass, which is then backed with protective rubber. I will try to post a picture later today; I owe that to someone else too.

Like a horizontal SD card slot? That would be interesting. I look forward to seeing ideas.

To avoid the hassle of aligning the sled with the camera hole, I went with a lens extension cable. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51958__Mobius_ActionCam_External_Lens_Module_Extension_Ribbon_Cable_200mm.html?gclid=CIS-2KbRp8sCFYlrfgodlVQJSw
I used a strip of G10 slotted to hold the lens. The G10 strip can then be taped to the inside wall of the AV coupler to get a perfect fit of the lens to the camera hole in the vent band. The Mobius body sits in bubble wrap snug between the sled and the AV wall. You could do something more permanent, but the bubble wrap has worked fine even on high G flights. To turn on the camera at the pad, I run a USB cable thru a vent hole with the camera set to turn on when power is applied through the USB and stay on after the power is removed. The cable is chopped with the wires loosely taped to the miniature USB plug in the camera so that I can pull the cable out through the vent hole leaving the camera plug behind. To start the camera, all I have to do is briefly plug the external cable into a USB battery pack. Unplug from the battery pack and pull the cable out of the AV bay and the camera is running. Yes, maybe a little complicated, but it has worked out great for me.
DSC_0009c.jpgDSC_0010c.jpgDSC_0011c.jpgDSC_0141c.jpgDSC_0164c.jpg

I thought of just making a sled that slides across a bulk plate , like grooves on each side to slide.
Then use a ball latch to lock it in like on a closet door.
Still perfecting it via bar napkins, (rocketry drafting paper), wink, wink.
Dave A

I have some information and pictured of one of my camera setups here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Faster!-quot-Build-Thread&p=780015#post780015

This was a 54mm and necessitated the elaborate sled, but it works well and goes in and out easily and repeatably.

My new 4" build has a similar shroud but a simpler sled setup, it is a piece of phenolic cut to hold the camera body and cradle the sensor/lens unit at the desired angle. The rest of the camera is held on with double sided foam tape, the blue electrical tape just secures the extension cable:

IMAG0305.jpg

I have just about completed a dual sled assembly for my 6" dia. Hangar-11 X-15. The AV-bay sits in the nose and holds two altimeters and on the fore end of the sled I have a dual aluminum channel extrusion to hold a perpendicular mounted board that slides a Möbius camera laterally up into the X-15 shroud area and is locked in place by a pull pin.

I have just about completed a dual sled assembly for my 6" dia. Hangar-11 X-15. The AV-bay sits in the nose and holds two altimeters and on the fore end of the sled I have a dual aluminum channel extrusion to hold a perpendicular mounted board that slides a Möbius camera laterally up into the X-15 shroud area and is locked in place by a pull pin.

Forgot to post this set of pictures. It is an camera sled mounted orthogonal to the main (extended) av-sled. It is positioned so the Möbius camera slides up into the top of the X-15 canopy area then held in place by the pin as pictured.

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Back