Loc Esoteric & Top Gunn: Dinosaur builds!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just me...or has there been a really drastic fin design change?

Much more swept leading edge and longer root. Really changes the overall look from the original to the current.

TopGun.jpg

There was a "range" on the ogrional rocket. The way the fins were cut, they would vary from batch to batch... So what we did was took both extremes, and went pretty much right down the middle. Some are smaller, some larger, different angels.. It was just the old process on a machine we no longer have.

Lots of little work behind the scenes with only a few photos to prove it. Documenting the smart section of the rocket has always been a weakness of mine; no exception here.

As Dan pointed out before, I'm using a bit of (evil!) fiberglass in the center of the Esoteric. Laminated a pair of G-10 BP and CBP's together to cap the ebay. Lots of clampage!

20170304_071010_zps6ghjvgcn.jpg

And though I haven't seen it advertised much, Loc has a neat laser cut sled for their e-bay kits. My first go around with this design...I like it enough it'll appear both here and in the 7.5" Patriot. Cool!

20170304_071000_zpsupr8xwte.jpg

If the weather cooperates, I'll hopefully have some paint pics in the next few days.

-Eric-

Jeez! You got enough clamps on that bulkhead Eric?!

Lol!!! I enlisted the aid of a little helper for this step. After clamping one in place, he went through my entire inventory of mini-clamps. My help is feast or famine...either they don't want to help, or the uber-help! :)

Finally. FINALLY! The Top Gun booster is FINALLY ready for some outside body work. Removed all the old decal stuff....note: 30 year old trim Monokote (or equivalent sticky decal crap) is impossible to get off cleanly. I'm not sure what I did to deserve it, but this was horrendous punishment peeling, scraping, swearing, gouging, Goo-gone-ing, and so on. Here's the forward end of the fincan area all ready for a bit of sandpaper, then FINALLY primer on this beastly booster.

Ugly duckling now...but give it some time!:wink:

20170304_175918_zpsx3hdyrem.jpg

-Eric-

One final moment in Halloween colors. I liked the orange and black, but just had to go a different direction.

Prime me!

20170306_155801_zpsgpwqqref.jpg

Weather was uncooperative. Forecasted to be warm and at least partly sunny for several days. We got crap instead. Literally, the weather has been awful....warmed up a few degrees but lots of wind, rain, fog, high dew point..blah. Nevertheless, ugly duckling got some primer. Followed by some spot putty...in many spots!;) Degassing next to the 7.5" Patriot that's at the same stage of finishing.

20170306_214456_zpsju8g4oqz.jpg

-Eric-

Looking amazing there Eric! Cant wait to see the color scheme on the Top Gunn.

Ok Eric, this isn't your glass transition but I just printed my 11.5 Top Gun transition. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1488971795.640940.jpg
There will be lots of reinforcement on this guy as the 8 inch upper tube will run through the transition into the coupler where it will be supported by G10 rings

Great job with the little helpers, if they want to put a 100 clamps on your bulkheads so be it.
I got mine to help sand with an orbital on some big fins and was ecstatic. He may have gotten a bit to aggressive but he was happy to get to use power tools and it got him off of the video games for a bit.

Ok Eric, this isn't your glass transition but I just printed my 11.5 Top Gun transition. View attachment 314103
There will be lots of reinforcement on this guy as the 8 inch upper tube will run through the transition into the coupler where it will be supported by G10 rings

Whoa; nice! I'm constantly amazed by what people are doing with 3D printers! That is so cool; wow!

Great job with the little helpers, if they want to put a 100 clamps on your bulkheads so be it.
I got mine to help sand with an orbital on some big fins and was ecstatic. He may have gotten a bit to aggressive but he was happy to get to use power tools and it got him off of the video games for a bit.

Absolutely. Love to get the kiddos involved; I absolutely enjoy their presence when I'm in the rocket dungeon!!!

Looking amazing there Eric! Cant wait to see the color scheme on the Top Gunn.

Thanks Nik! Only waiting on decent weather...it's been awful!

I know one has to paint these things, but there's something about that fin can that makes it look seriously impressive just like that.

Someday I'm going to have a rocket that I leave partway through the finishing process. There's a certain form of beauty to the ugliness of blending it all together.

The 5 day forecast shows bitter cold, so I'm stuck paintless with that which needs color for the short term. But the 10 day forecast shows hope. I'll remain optimistic that the dinosaurs will get more color next week. In the meantime, here's a teaser of some finishing efforts.

20170309_225229_zpsvaz6gucx.jpg

20170309_225317_zpsvczbnunm.jpg

-Eric-

Last update for now....

006_zpso4osnvbk.jpg

A bit cool, wind present, and just a hint of snow. Wood dust + snow = oatmeal consistency mess that clings to coats, hats, gloves, and face that refuses to let go! For those that complain about a 50 degree workshop being too cold and prohibiting progress....suck it up!:wink:

Love the picture and the description of the "muck"

As to "suck it up!":

I can't help it if I live in paradise. 59 degrees is-so (burr) cold.

My proof? Try mixing up a batch of AeroPoxy at 59 degrees and see what it thinks. :)

(It's as thick as taffy.)

BTW, awesome project(s).

Last edited:
View attachment 314923

Eric

Black Brant Fins!!!

Bill, that looks outstanding! Hope to see it (and you) at LDRS!!!

Coming along nicely Eric. I hope you bring this beast to Airfest this year.

Thanks Capt! If there's room in the truck....we're planning on Airfest this year! Though the Airfest fleet is a little less low n slow, and a little more Go! See you there!

Love the picture and the description of the "muck"

As to "suck it up!":

I can't help it if I live in paradise. 59 degrees is-so (burr) cold.

My proof? Try mixing up a batch of AeroPoxy at 59 degrees and see what it thinks. :)

(It's as thick as taffy.)

BTW, awesome project(s).

Thanks!!!! Can't argue with California weather...always enjoy a visit to sunny CA! Though I always tell people I enjoy the seasons here...I'm definitely sick of this winter (though it has been reasonably mild). Thanks for following along!

-Eric-

Alright, quick progress update. Though the weather has been less than cooperative, it is time to march on and add some color to this build thread.

One more for Tim51.

20170316_124827_zps1mxd9y2i.jpg

The Esoteric had it's fins painted Apple Red a week or two ago during a very brief mild stint. With them dry, we added a bit of black to the top half of the fin-can.

20170318_133937_zps9oixfjum.jpg

Similarly, the Top Gun's main airframe was painted white on Friday. After two days of rest, she was masked and the top portion of the airframe thrown in the garbage bag for a few coats of apple red to the fin area.

20170319_113753_zpsjja6x7zg.jpg

It's good to have helpers. With the bit of snow melting away for *hopefully* the last time this season, it was still cool and overcast, but the show must go on. In order to prevent runs, B-man helps rotate Top Gun following the top coat of red. No runs and lots of shine...yay!!!

20170319_111314_zps0ybtexn1.jpg

With the sun out yesterday, it was time to kick back and enjoy a cocktail or two; but first let's stack these things up and see how they look. All paint work has been completed on these birds; some neato decals to come in the short term.

Top Gun with the kiddos!

20170319_162351_zpsaspkvnwo.jpg

And Esoteric and Top Gun with this guy.

20170319_162553_zpsa8n0kv6a.jpg

Very happy that the color coats are done! Looking forward to decals and e-bays.....first flights for both birds are planned for LDRS at MDRA!

-Eric-

Alright, quick progress update. Though the weather has been less than cooperative, it is time to march on and add some color to this build thread.

One more for Tim51.

20170316_124827_zps1mxd9y2i.jpg

Yeah!! From the look of those Imperial storm trooper blaster marks I'd say you really got that booster from a Jawa salvage yard on the outskirts of Mos Eisley.

But seriously, congrats on the finished paint job - both look stunning.

Eric

They both look outstanding! Look forward to seeing/meeting you at LDRS. Should be a good time.

Best

Bill D.

Back