EggFinder GPS Graphical Mapping Program Update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Man oh man! Was soooo close with this on a $70.00 7" WinBook tablet that would be capable to be hand carried to a recovery site when using an EggFinder GPS tracker. The Java based YAAC program works perfect on a Linux laptop but Bluetooth is not working with YAAC in Windows 8.1 nicely. If someone has Linux experience and wants to try it, follow the instructions here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...apping-Tracking-program&p=1533449#post1533449

All the software and maps are free. If you're running Linux you probably know about ports, permissions and pairing B/T in that OS. It will get you salivating. The old MapSphere program mentioned in the EggFinder documents hasn't been supported for years though it's still out there. It will not keep track of your location and your rockets at the same time though. You could cache maps with that program but I suspect most of the map servers have gone away and no longer available.

The Android program "GPS Rocket Locator" needs a live internet connection to display maps reliably. I've tried caching but it doesn't seem to work well. Shut the program down and if there is no internet connection, when it powers up, just a grey screen and two points. That will get you to your rocket but it won't tell you what's in the way or the nearest roads you could take. Yeah, you could input lat/long into a handheld mapping GPS but that's another device to carry along.

The Winbook has a full size USB socket so a hub "could" be connected but then the attached devices will suck juice from the battery. I tried a "plain" USB EggFinder receiver and it works fine. The thing is, the fewer attached cables out in the field, the better. I can get by and "stand" a single wire from a Kenwood D72A serial jack to the secure round port on a Garmin 60CsX mapping GPS for graphical APRS tracking on a map that's easy to carry and navigate with.
Jostle a USB cable and the system would likely "freeze" hence the desire to use all B/T peripherals. Try pricing that APRS receive station and you'll see why I was getting excited. An economical station that anyone including a
non-Ham could use.

You try tracking a rocket on a portable map and you won't want to track any other way. Launch, track, pickup rocket and go back to fly some more. If you're launch windows and times are limited you have the potential
to fly more rockets rather than wondering around trying to find them. Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
Still trying to get an easy mapping solution for folks with the EggFinder GPS units that's portable enough to take to a
recovery site on one of those new, cheap WinBlows tablets. YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client came closest to delivering the goods. https://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAAC.html)

A non-ham radio operator would be able to use it with their EggFinders and have a portable map to refer to out in the field that shows their current position along with the last known position of their rocket.. Only problem is WinBlows has issues pairing with B/T devices that YAAC can't deal with. I was hoping
I could get this to work with $70.00 WinBlows tablets that are readily available so non-ham radio operators could
have nearly the same utility as a bullet proof Beeline APRS GPS tracker with a Kenwood D72A and Garmin 60Cs(X)
system has. Price those devices and you'll understand what I mean.

YAAC works fine under Linux. Bluetooth pairing is perfectly fine there. Only problem is no easy to use Linux 8 to 9" tablets out there for the rest of us to use.

I was absolutely shocked that Andrew Pavlin, the author of YAAC, altered the code in less than two weeks when I made an inquiry that allowed YAAC to monitor a second NMEA GPS stream and place it on a map so one could see where "they" are and where their rocket "is". Trouble is that it works under java/Linux but not java/WinBlows. Am hoping that might be remedied in the future.

I put some inquiries out there to the authors of APRSIS32, https://aprsisce.wikidot.com/
and SAR Track, https://www.sartrack.co.nz/ as to the prospect of configuring a second port to monitor the
incoming data from the EggFinder LCD. Lynn Defenbaugh with APRSIS32 has sent me some pointers for his program that are promising but only would be beneficial to Ham radio operators such as myself. Pretty involved to get going but nice Mapquest photomaps though.

Bart Kindt of SAR Track was courteous but simply didn't think there was a need. Hmmmmm, the ham version of his software assumes that one has a continuous on line presence. The SAR version which one can switch to easily allows one to download and cache some maps for offline use (Not Google satellite though. Copyright restrictions there.) . Best presentation I've seen so far.

All of the above software is free so I can't really complain. Again, I was totally flabbergasted that Andrew made some changes to YAAC in two weeks and it works so beautifully in a Linux

I'll keep hammering at this as I believe it would really help people out there with an easy
way to go after outta sight rockets that is economical and automatic to use.

Kurt Savegnago

Since I'm an iPhone user I gave up on the bluetooth dreams, but if someone can cobble together a system that lets me have cached maps available on an inexpensive tablet for my eggfinders that would be amazing. Keep up the good work!

The best that is offered a non-Ham radio operator is YAAC. (Yet Another APRS Client) All the other tracking applications out there require one to register their callsign to open the program or is way too hard for a mere mortal to
setup for EggFinder use. (Xastir)

If one has a Linux laptop with Java installed, they would be able to run YAAC and use either bluetooth or USB EggFinder receivers. YAAC works perfectly there.
The bugaboo is WinBlows Bluetooth pairing vagaries. I've been able to get an outboard bluetooth module paired with the WinBook and use a USB EggFinder receiver with it's limitations plugged into the full size USB ports the WinBooks offer.

Works fine but I don't like unsecure cables out in a field. The pull loose right when you least expect them to.

Oh yeah, the Android app "GPS Rocket Locator" works but unless one has an internet access through their phone they will not see a map. There is not a cacheable map program besides YAAC that can be used for EggFinder tracking.

APRSIS32 might be able to do it and I'm working in it with help but for a non-Ham, it is a non-starter.

YAAC was so Dern easy I would be able to get one page instructions for folks to use if only the B/T vagaries could be remedied. Oh well, I posted what I've found in the YAAC developer group and perhaps the problem will be sorted out.
The bug I've found means YAAC cannot use useful Bluetooth Ham Radio devices like a Mobilinkd TNC or an AP510 GPS tracker. That alone might be the impetus for the author to check it out and see if it can be made to work better in Windows.

Like I said, the funny thing is java/YAAC works with all that Bluetooth stuff in Linux. Java/Windows and no joy with an EggFinder LCD with the HC-06 B/T module.

Kurt Savegnago

Yea the Linux thing is the issue for me; I've got an android tablet, but it's not worth setting up the b/t with GPS Rocket Locator if there are no maps and I'd just have to plug the grid into my phone manually anyways.

If there was a $70.00 java/Linux tablet remedy it would be a no brainer to get one and set it up. Bluetooth works perfectly fine there. I've got a Ham tracking program, APRSIS32 that can be made to work on two open instances but I'm afraid
it would be too hard for a casual, non-ham user to setup. Some idiosyncrasies including callsign issues.

I'm hoping the author of YAAC might be able to make some code modifications to get it to work better in Windows. That done, I'll be reporting back with instructions. Kurt

Hi,

I've been in contact with the author of the YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client) concerning Windows Bluetooth connecting issues. He's aware of it and is going to try to come up with a programming change that
will remedy the situation. As it stands, YAAC cannot pair with many other Bluetooth devices under Windows and he'd like to correct it so it can. As I suspected, he shared with me he does a lot of programming
in a Linux environment and hence YAAC works perfectly there. Really got me drooling.

Now he's going to try to get it working in Windows hence a person would be able to get YAAC mapping incoming EggFinder positions in real time on a map. Yes I know folks out in the featureless West just need two points
and a line to follow but the rest of us who fly in farmland are aided by knowing what stands between us, the rocket and possible roads we can drive on to get closer for recovery.

The significance of this is this would be the only tracking program a non-Ham could use besides the Android app "GPS Rocket Locator". The problem with GPS Rocket Locator is if one doesn't have an onsite internet connection
via an Android phone or wifi access, no maps.

YAAC is the easiest to setup and I'll be able to explain it in a single page. Essentially pair a B/T GPS source so you know your position. Assign it in YAAC to a serial GPS local. Pair the HC-06 in the EggFinder LCD and assign it
in YAAC as a serial GPS remote. One can assign the remote GPS an icon and it will be plotted on the map. YAAC has a rocket icon and also a slightly different missile icon one can use. Have it running and one will be all set.
Can call up on the YAAC screen a utility that can show how many satellites each station is using (your local position and what your EggFinder is using in your rocket) and YAAC will also give you a line of sight to the current or last received packet. There are cheap Windows tablets out there at $70.00 which
I think is an affordable arrangement for graphical tracking. I'd suggest a wireless hand mouse for field use as it's easier to control the tablet with one.

Will report as soon as YAAC gets working. I am a big proponent of automatic tracking to relieve as much manual inputting of data as possible. I've done it with APRS with a Beeline GPS, Kenwood D72A and Garmin 60Cs or CsX.
This is still a formidable, bullet proof setup. Lock the rocket in on the pad with the 60CsX while attached to the D72 and the Garmin will continuously compute a tracking solution in real time.

The YAAC/EggFinder LCD won't quite have this utility but it will be pretty darned close. You'll get updated distance and bearing to the last known position, geographical and road details to effect a quick recovery.
No manual inputting of data and risking transposing a number. Yeah, yeah, I know. It's easy to do it nominally but I like a no touch data situation and I was thoroughly addicted after doing that with APRS tracking.
I will be ecstatic if this can be pulled off my non-Ham Rocketry brethren. Stay tuned.

Here's the thread with some screen saves of it working in Linux. Once B/T pairing is remedied, it will look the same in Windows.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...apping-Tracking-program&p=1534933#post1534933

Kurt Savegnago KC9LDH

https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/QCRS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your work on this, Kurt. I'm pretty excited about the solution too. I've even thought about changing from my iPhone (I'm a die-hard Apple-guy) to an Android just to get Rocket Locator.

Do you think a Windows Surface would work with YAAC? I've been thinking of getting one for work, and it might double as a nice computer for launches.

If Andrew gets the bluetooth problems ironed out any Windows computer should work that can pair via bluetooth. I might suggest something small you can put into a small box the inside of which is painted flat black. It's hard to see a screen out in the sunlight. I've used this arrangement with a Nexus 7 2013 wifi only with GPS Rocket Locator and it is viewable nicely. I have a WinBook TW801 that fits in the box too. I can put the WinBook or Nexus in there with an auxiliary battery pack, set the EggFinder LCD in there and carry it around one handed. That's the key, you want something portable you can easily carry to a recovery site in case you need to be ready to receive an updated packet to find the final position.
Remember, it's hard to read screens out in the sunlight. The handheld Garmin GPS units I use for APRS tracking are designed to be readable in the sunlight. First time I took a laptop outside years ago, I couldn't see a derned thing!
Putting my device in a shallow box, the inside of which is spray painted flat black allow me to face the sun and the box shades the screen so it's readable. I simply use a cardboard box. Kurt

Here are some shots of the EggFinder drive around test. Click on them for larger pictures. It updates the map 1/sec and looks really nice. No, it's not Google Earth map but the program and
the map is free. Platform is 8" Windows tablet. Program is APRSIS32 running two instances. One instance monitors the Eggfinder on the the NMEA port.
That is the "ROCKET" icon aka the EggFinder GPS. KC9LDH-5 is the local position on a second instance of APRSIS32 It sends the NMEA strings to the 1st instance using the address 127.0.0.1 port 8150. I have that minimized in all but the first screen. The first screen shows the second instance of APRSIS32 with the local position. Some salient features are 1/sec update rate of the position as long as the packets are received. The GPS altitude is shown in the lower left corner of the screen where it says V/H. North, South, East and West positions are shown on the ring. The colored bars at the bottom are the GPS satellites the EggFinder has a lock on. The little colored numbers seen on the screen are the relative GPS satellite positions and can be switched off in the display if desired.

During the series of the test, I increased the "thickness" of the trail of the ROCKET/EggFinder GPS from 1 pixel to 3 pixels so it's more discernable from the local position
which remains at 1 pixel thickness.

The second instance of APRSIS32 passes along the local (my) position monitored via a Bluetooth Royaltek GPS device since few Windows tablets have an
accessible internal GPS. It updates once a second but only passes along the position once every 10 seconds to the 1st instance where the ROCKET is displayed. I can call up the minimized window where the local position is being monitored, hit "transmit" in the upper left corner and it will immediately update and be placed in the "main" map where the ROCKET/EggFinder is displayed.

This is an old photomapset that can be cached. There are Open Source maps available for caching also. Again, the only thing that cost me besides the
EggFinder was the Windows Tablet. Some of those could be had for less than $70.00. The program(s)/maps are free.

Could a non-Ham use this program? I believe so since one can't place packets on the internet without a Ham callsign (system won't accept them)
and one would be just using it with an EggFinder receiver, wouldn't be a problem. Only problem is the learning curve is pretty high. A flier who's a Ham that
also has experience with APRS tracking and tracking programs, especially APRSIS32, might understand it a bit easier. I've posted some instructions on another thread here on TRF. Be forewarned, it is difficult. I posted a question about a second port for NMEA monitoring and I was told that's not easily doable but run two instances using the NMEA port of each and pass along the information from one instance to the other. I was like ????? but some folks spelled
it out for me and I believe they wanted to see if it could be done.

So, I like this representation albeit difficult for me to setup but was doable with help from folks in the APRSIS32 group along with the author of the program.
I shutdown the tablet last night and it only took me 5 minutes to get the devices running and the program actively tracking this morning for my drive around test. Once setup, the system is solidly steady.

I'm still trying to work with Andrew Pavlin, the author of the tracking program YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client), as YAAC would be easier for a non-ham to setup and a portable Open Source mapset is available.

The hangup with YAAC is bluetooth works great in java/Linux but not well in java/Windows. I hope he can remedy it and I can get a one page instruction sheet out there so non-Hams could have a real time mapping solution with the EggFinders. What got me going on this EggFinder situation was I got addicted to
the risk free bullet proof tracking with APRS trackers via Beeline APRS GPS Kenwood D72A and a handheld mapping Garmin plugged into the D72.
Hard to beat that but this setup is really, really close to it except it doesn't compute a navigation solution in real time like the Garmin GPS can.
But so what? One can see the last known packet on the screen and if they are using an EggFinder LCD, they have that for backup. Make the two icons
come together and you have it made.

Another reason why I was able to pull this off is I have a battery powered/HC-06 bluetooth version of an earlier EggFinder receiver on 915Mhz. If I had to listen to the BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP of my EggFinder LCD during this protracted setup and testing, I would'a gone FREAK'IN CRAZY!! Mind you the beeping serves its purpose when tracking rockets out in the field. It's beeping? You gotta lock. No beeping and it's probably out of range. Starts beeping again and you're going to find it eventually.:) For testing, quieter is better.

Kurt Savegnago

Screenshot (19).jpg

Screenshot (18).jpg

Screenshot (17).jpg

Screenshot (16).jpg

Screenshot (15).jpg

Screenshot (14).jpg

Screenshot (13).jpg

Screenshot (12).jpg

Kurt,

I don't have the Bluetooth module for my eggreceiver. But is there anything stopping me from simply running the usb cable from that port to my slate? Other than cable-nuisance?

And if I'm simply running one GPS, do you have a recommendation for YAAC over APRSIS - or versa vice? I took a look at YAAC, and it seems like he's pulled the Bluetooth kludge from the last Windows build.

Kurt,

I don't have the Bluetooth module for my eggreceiver. But is there anything stopping me from simply running the usb cable from that port to my slate? Other than cable-nuisance?

And if I'm simply running one GPS, do you have a recommendation for YAAC over APRSIS - or versa vice? I took a look at YAAC, and it seems like he's pulled the Bluetooth kludge from the last Windows build.

I haven't given YAAC a go for a little while. Andrew had mentioned to me he still hadn't got to working with Bluetooth in a Windows environment. Interestingly, APRSIS32 will access bluetooth with no problem.

I have a 1st generation EF receiver with a USB cable and as long as one can plug it in, it will work perfectly fine with YAAC or any other program. As long as one has java on the device, YAAC is workable.
If you notice on the setup screen, one can define one's GPS for local position and another port for another NMEA datastream. It is really easy.

Or, you can run the NMEA datastream to any other application you'd like to use.

I'm going to give it shot tomorrow at a launch. Will have two tablets monitoring on the ground and see how it goes. Will be using APRSIS/32 like shown above. Kurt

No problem. Just set your COM port to 9600 baud and it will work, just like the RX "dongle". Of course, that makes it somewhat less portable...

Kurt,

Flew the EggFinder GPS tracker in the Formula 54 Saturday. Bad juju day. Prefect brought out old launch batteries that could no longer provide current and had to wait for new ones to be
brought to the site.

Anywho, launched the Formula 54 on the H250 and it disappeared like it was supposed to.
Heard nothing but two beeps on the EggFinder LCD and this picture on the tracking map below.
The launch pads were right where this APRS icon is located on Google APRS. Change to satellite and
you get a better look of the starting position: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=hybrid&z=17&call=a/PARS&timerange=3600&tail=3600
Screenshot (3).jpg

Red is the Formula 54 path black is the base station path. The numbers are GPS altitudes.
The motor ejection failed to blow the rocket apart and a it came in ballistic. I followed the path to the Rocket and found it core sampled up to within 2.5 inches of the fin leading edges.
Screenshot (5).jpg

Dug out the rocket and it's in fine shape. Nosecone was embedded in clay and I wrecked it getting it out.

WIN_20160416_17_54_59_Pro.jpg

A note to RW and I'll get a new nosecone. One can see the EF was trashed. A $50.00 loss as opposed to $250.00.

I know the problem. I did a ground test with everything packed using an ematch canister and
empty motor casing. The .85 grams worked in the canister but not in the ejection well. I should have just poured in all the BP that came with the motor and call it good.

This a shot of the base station side:Screenshot (8).jpg

One has to run two instances of the program. The base position shown in this map is fed to the other instance showing the photomap. This instance runs minimized in the taskbar. One can see I went back and forth twice.
Next time, I'll wear my of VistaHcX so I can mark the rocket position. I didn't know if I could get back to the rocket
after I got the spade but was able to do it. I was afraid, if a glitch occurred with the program, I'd be toast.
The EggFinder LCD though had the last position locked on its screen so that backup would be there.

I suspect in ballistic flight that positions are not received and transmitted well by the tracker but two positions got out before it hit. The altitudes are likely not correct of the Rocket in that
dynamic a state.

Nonetheless, I/we didn't see a darned thing. If it weren't for the tracker, the rocket would have been lost. Now, I just have to get a new nosecone, an evening's work and good to go again.

Quick comment on Windows tablet OS. It sucks. Needs a mouse and I'm glad I had a keyboard to eventually do the screensaves. Since I was new to this, I was afraid to try to minimize the program and pull up the camera to do a picture of the fincan out of the ground.
I just washed the F54 off at home and EVEN the applique' name "Formula 54" is none the worse for wear!

I didn't expect to find it, but when I did, I didn't have anything to mark the spot when I went back in to get a spade. I successfully navigated back out a second time to dig it out and it
took a long time to get it loose. Nosecone was really stuck and I considered leaving it but
wanted to see what the tracker/battery looked like plus I didn't want to leave a lithium bat
buried in a farm field.

More comments later. The Jolly Logic chute release had released inside the body.

I will say, I really like having a map of some kind to have a general idea of where the rocket is at and the surroundings. As one can see it wasn't that far away and yet nobody saw it come in. All's it took were those few positions in the terminal phase before it hit to
find it. Kurt

Last edited:
YeeHaa!!

The author of YAAC is currently working on Bluetooth connectivity. Here's what he mentions in a post I lifted from a public forum:

So, I'm going to roll my own. Thankfully, from working on the Windows Bluetooth support problem, I've learned a lot of clever tricks for multi-platform native library support that I'd wish I'd known when I started developing YAAC back in 2011. So, build 93 may be a little delayed, but that's because it's going to include two new optional plugins: Windows Bluetooth SPP support for wireless TNCs, and support for Linux kernel AX.25. There also may be delays because we've gotten some interest from the FLDIGI team to get YAAC to work using FLDIGI as the TNC/modem; hopefully, this will continue, so I want to rapidly provide any tweaks needed to support their investigations. Imagine what APRS could do with widely supported error-correcting noise-resistant modem protocols....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The key is Andrew mentions specifically Bluetooth support in Windows. YAAC is way the heck easier to setup than APRSIS32. No photomaps but the Open Source Maps are downloadable and cacheable.

It will take all of one page of instructions to setup a tablet/laptop as a tracker as long as the NMEA sentences can be imported in real time from the receiver.

YAAC works fine in Java/Linux but a laptop is a pain to use out in the field.

Kurt Savegnago

Flew the Formula 54 at Mini Midwest Power on Sunday and suffered a motor failure on the
H250. The remains are here:burnout.jpg

It was the Mohave green H250 that flopped all over the place. Two green plumes are not a good sign. First time I appreciated the green color but not the conditions of a casing failure that I would desire. I got the motor out and showed it to Tim and it looked to him I installed the forward and aft O rings correctly. I checklist my
reloading at home before a launch so no pressure so I guess it's one of those things.
Since Rousetech and Dr. Rocket are out of production, doesn't matter now as AT only warrants cases with their name on it. The other outfits are long gone.

Screenshot (15).jpgScreenshot (16).jpg

Screenshots of the live tracking program, which I did not need this time are shown.
Interestingly, I was standing by the LSO at the road and I couldn't receive the position
from the tracker (that survived the flight) unless I held it up in the air after the rocket was down. The charge blew the nosecone off this time but too low for the chute to unfurl. The JLR chute release did release but too low to salvage for a gentle landing. I forgot to attach
the Yagi and should have to prove whether or not I could receive from ground level. My mistake. Did get the last position but that sort of doesn't count since that was within sight.
After recovery and I got the motor out by removing the aft closure and pushing the casing forward, I showed it to Tim with his comment above. I asked if he had a rocket that was similar and he mentioned the Punisher Sport Special. Weeeeeeeeelllll.......... It came today
and all's I have to do is assemble the sustainer and since the metal tipped nosecone survived, I'll be in business again.
The Punisher with my replacement filament Wildman NC along with the white plastic (supplied) NC is shown. The 26/360 case is doable if the maximum 14 second long delay is "good enough". Will be finally nice if I can get all this to work with the Punisher Sport.
PunisherS.jpg

Hmmmmm..... Wonder if Dave at Graphix N' Stuff can come up with an applique'.
Any suggestions?

Kurt

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).jpg
    Screenshot (14).jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 126
Flew the Formula 54 at Mini Midwest Power on Sunday and suffered a motor failure on the
H250. The remains are here:View attachment 291329

It was the Mohave green H250 that flopped all over the place. Two green plumes are not a good sign. First time I appreciated the green color but not the conditions of a casing failure that I would desire. I got the motor out and showed it to Tim and it looked to him I installed the forward and aft O rings correctly. I checklist my
reloading at home before a launch so no pressure so I guess it's one of those things.
Since Rousetech and Dr. Rocket are out of production, doesn't matter now as AT only warrants cases with their name on it. The other outfits are long gone.

View attachment 291331View attachment 291332

Screenshots of the live tracking program, which I did not need this time are shown.
Interestingly, I was standing by the LSO at the road and I couldn't receive the position
from the tracker (that survived the flight) unless I held it up in the air after the rocket was down. The charge blew the nosecone off this time but too low for the chute to unfurl. The JLR chute release did release but too low to salvage for a gentle landing. I forgot to attach
the Yagi and should have to prove whether or not I could receive from ground level. My mistake. Did get the last position but that sort of doesn't count since that was within sight.
After recovery and I got the motor out by removing the aft closure and pushing the casing forward, I showed it to Tim with his comment above. I asked if he had a rocket that was similar and he mentioned the Punisher Sport Special. Weeeeeeeeelllll.......... It came today
and all's I have to do is assemble the sustainer and since the metal tipped nosecone survived, I'll be in business again.
The Punisher with my replacement filament Wildman NC along with the white plastic (supplied) NC is shown. The 26/360 case is doable if the maximum 14 second long delay is "good enough". Will be finally nice if I can get all this to work with the Punisher Sport.
View attachment 291333

Hmmmmm..... Wonder if Dave at Graphix N' Stuff can come up with an applique'.
Any suggestions?

Kurt

Did you talk to Aerotech? I would think it was the reload that caused the problem, not the case, and that AT should replace your case that their reload damaged.
Also, please be sure to file a MESS report, if you haven't already.

Did you talk to Aerotech? I would think it was the reload that caused the problem, not the case, and that AT should replace your case that their reload damaged.
Also, please be sure to file a MESS report, if you haven't already.

I considered it but I read their guarantee on the website and it has to be an "AT" case. Should deal with other manufacturers for their "products". RT and Dr. Rocket are no more. It was a Dr. Rocket case. Also the site says the
RMS reloads are warrantied one year after purchase. This was a couple of years old. If you know that's "window dressing" I could give it a shot.

I filled out a MESS report. Not hard to do. Kurt

Last edited:
I have had two case burn through's with H250G reloads. You have to inspect the interior of the phenolic liner and select the best end for the seal disk (fewest chips from cutting) and then use extra grease on the outside to give you the best seal. I have had no issues with H210R or the other reloads for that case size.

Lot-A-Fins Rocket Cato.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

I have had two case burn through's with H250G reloads. You have to inspect the interior of the phenolic liner and select the best end for the seal disk (fewest chips from cutting) and then use extra grease on the outside to give you the best seal. I have had no issues with H210R or the other reloads for that case size.

Thanks Terry, I'll be extra careful in the future. As an aside I took another look at the Formula 54 and it now appears if I can clean the residue out of the inside of the rocket, I could epoxy a coupler on the inside to buttress the hole and it should be
flyable again. Nonetheless, I'm proceeding with the Punisher Sport build. Kurt

Is there a larger issue with H250s, or just that it's so near the ragged edge that it's a crap shoot?

I still suggest contacting Aerotech and letting them know about the case burn through events as well as filing MESS reports (thanks, Kurt) which helps the organizations and motor companies track problems with specific reloads. Kurt is correct, Aerotech wrote their case warranty to classify burn throughs as case failures, but in my opinion (which counts for nothing here) if burn throughs are caused by the reload, the case ought to be replaced under the reload warranty. Aerotech has been reasonable about things like that in the past. Just contact them.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

I still suggest contacting Aerotech

I agree - no harm in asking. I had an H250G blister a 29/240 Dr. Rocket case and take a chunk out of the seal disc (a couple of years ago, probably). They sent me a new AeroTech case and seal disc.

Mark

Last edited:
I agree - no harm in asking. I had an H250G blister a 29/240 Dr. Rocket case and take a chunk out of the seal disc (a couple of years ago, probably). They sent me a new AeroTech case and seal disc.

Mark

Whoa,

I'll give them a call then. The same thing happened in my case like I showed in the pictures above. It bit out the side of the seal disk too. I showed it to Tim Lehr and the O rings could be seen. I didn't misplace them with the forward one aft and the aft one forward. If I messed up, I'd be man enough to accept it. Kurt

Well, It was fun while it lasted. The developer of the above program, APRSISCE/32 says that MapQuest is going to go to a cloud format that is going to require a "key" access so APRSISCE/32 is no longer going to be able
to access the MapQuest Photomap. Since I've cached some of my oft used sites I'll be fine as long as I don't purge or change the mapset files.

This leaves three choices for photomap tracking, Altus Metrums Altos Droid and their laptop version AltOS and the Android program GPS Rocket Locator. Altus Metrum can cache the map tiles for offline use and the author of
GPS Rocket Locator is trying to achieve that ability also.

Looks like the map tile servers outside of Open Source and government stuff is shifting towards subscription/pay service.

Oh well, a map with the major geographical features is still helpful even though one can't see that their rocket likely landed in "this lake", "next to that barn" or hopefully "by that tree". Kurt Savegnago

I'll be sticking with google earth, there are ways to backup the cache for offline usage.

+1. Google (maps in my case) is all I really need on my phone with cached maps.

The ability to cache varies by application. Also in many cases a live internet link has to be maintained with the device in order to have access to
the Google Earth maps. Caching can be very unreliable except AltOs, and AltosDroid use a watermarking scheme and decreased zoomlevels to get
around restrictions. The maps are still very usable. My goal was a totally off-grid solution for use in remote locations or with Android devices that
are not cell phones with no onfield internet ability. This broadens the ability for those who want to use cheaper devices for economy sake.

Kurt

The ability to cache varies by application. Also in many cases a live internet link has to be maintained with the device in order to have access to
the Google Earth maps. Caching can be very unreliable except AltOs, and AltosDroid use a watermarking scheme and decreased zoomlevels to get
around restrictions. The maps are still very usable. My goal was a totally off-grid solution for use in remote locations or with Android devices that
are not cell phones with no onfield internet ability. This broadens the ability for those who want to use cheaper devices for economy sake.

Kurt

I don't have a reliable connection where I fly and would not bother with an Internet connection. I've not had an issue, but the idea is to take a backup of your cache that you know works. You should clear the cache first, go to the area you are interested in, zoom in and make sure it loads completely. Once complete, disconnect from the Internet, restart google earth and confirm there are no issues with what you have cached, then take a copy. If you run into issues on the day you simply restore your cache using the backup. My understanding is that people run into cache issues if they don't allow the download to complete or they wipe the required area from their cache by viewing other areas.

Of of course all of this is just nice to have, if something goes badly wrong it simple enough to to chuck the coordinates into a GPS.

Back