NAR or Tripoli for Level 3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've been doing research on what the difference is and hoping someone can give me some insight.

Also fo NAR, do I really need 6 external switches? seems a little insane.

TIA

Have you looked at the list of L3 advisers to see if one is near you? I found that having a L3 adviser that was a member of the local club to be a big advantage. That, in my opinion, might make the decision pretty easy.

Your adviser will need to sign off on your electronics system design. You should ask them about the disconnect requirement.

That part was confusing me as well.
For Tripoli, I'd need a tap, but for NAR, I just need someone who is Level 3?
I know a ton of people that are Level 3 NAR that could check everything for me.

Will do. My original plan was to a have the pull pin method but I'm not sure if that will suffice.

Thanks

it will also depend on what your interests are.
do you foresee yourself pursuing experimental motor making?
if so then tripoli would be the better option for you.

So, I've been doing research on what the difference is and hoping someone can give me some insight.

Also fo NAR, do I really need 6 external switches? seems a little insane.

TIA

TRA will accept NAR certifications so if you are a member of both and cert NAR, you are a L3 with TRA too. You could make.motors still

For Tripoli, I'd need a tap, but for NAR, I just need someone who is Level 3?

Actually, for NAR you need members of L3CC (Level Three Certification Committee).

Neither TAP has mentioned any requirement as ridiculous as six switches. My design is safe, no doubt.

Have you looked at the list of L3 advisers to see if one is near you? I found that having a L3 adviser that was a member of the local club to be a big advantage. That, in my opinion, might make the decision pretty easy.

Your adviser will need to sign off on your electronics system design. You should ask them about the disconnect requirement.

This.........../\...

All of the requirements / paperwork for either NAR or Tripoli level 3 certification are going to go to the people that are going to sign off on your success...
The only thing that will go back to NAR or Tripoli headquarters is their signatures...
It is for this reason that you should get the people who's signatures are going to be on the paperwork on-board early on....
Ask them what they want to see and be sure your build meets their expectations....
They're usually quite reasonable....
No need to over complicate the level 3 certification process....

Teddy

TRA.

More TAPs, more understandable rules (the 6 switches thing with NAR is just absurd), etc...

TRA will accept NAR certifications so if you are a member of both and cert NAR, you are a L3 with TRA too. You could make.motors still

In a word...

No.

Tripoli research activities require active Tripoli membership at level 2 or higher.

Tripoli and NAR do recognize each others certifications, so if you go NAR for your L3, you'll just need to join TRA and send in a copy of your NAR L3 cert, and bingo... Tripoli L3. TRA research activities are a go.

The cert processes are so similar, some folks probably can't tell one from the other.

NAR changed the language in question. There is no longer an absolute requirement for disconnects between an altimeter output and the corresponding charge. It used to say that the battery disconnect "shall not" be enough. It now says the battery disconnect "may not" be enough. That is between you and your L3CC rep, and what he or she thinks is necessary to make your project safe. Basically, they don't want a charge going off at the RSO table, or while you're arming the bird at the pad. Some old altimeter designs had problems. Like charged capacitors still connected to ejection squibs. Make a boo-boo, and that charge goes off when you DON'T want it to... Even tho the battery was disconnected. That ain't good.

Get with your L3CC or TAP, which ever organization you choose. It all comes down to building it right, prepping it right, and getting the laundry aired out. And your L3CC or TAP is in the best position to advise you on all of that.

Good luck on the L3. Your L3CC or TAP can help you engineer failure out of the equation. Take advantage of that.

Angel,

Yes, Tim is a TAP. And you know that you have a good network of people who can help you out with your journey. Just remember what happens when you ask questions on the forum.....we all know how that works. Stick to who you know and trust for the questions that you have. We won't steer you wrong. We might steer you to a bigger motor, but we won't steer you wrong!

Angel,

Yes, Tim is a TAP. And you know that you have a good network of people who can help you out with your journey. Just remember what happens when you ask questions on the forum.....we all know how that works. Stick to who you know and trust for the questions that you have. We won't steer you wrong. We might steer you to a bigger motor, but we won't steer you wrong!

+1 to this. I did my L3 cert this spring at the mini Midwest Power launch. I had my L3 motor all picked out, but Tim and Dr R thought I should have more oomph. So the M1560 was set aside for a calm day and the M1939 was installed instead. Best decision ever! The smoke and flame from that motor was the cherry on the sundae that is getting your L3 (not sure if this analogy makes sense :confused2: ). Net result for me was a very fun and successful L3 flight.

Adrian

Angel,

Angel,

This is good advise from Jason, and you have a great base of L3 fliers that you can tap knowledge from.

Back