why did estes stop printing their chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woohoo

Reaction score
why did estes stop printing their chutes because whenever I get a new rocket from estes it has this letter that says

Dear Estes customer
Due to new restrictions in the printing of plastic materials, we have suspended the printing of our colorful parachutes. This parachute material conforms to all current goverment requirements and can be decorated with a design of your choice usiing colored markers.

been answered several times...short answer, the supplier of the chutes apparently has a problem w/ meeting us import regulations concerning the use of hazardous materials for printing on plastics.

Many inks and plastics contain small amounts of lead. New consumer protection laws were enacted after a wave of bad publicity surrounding some high-profile incidents of contaminated products from China (pet food, charm jewelry, children's toys). Some retailers of Estes products required the products to be lead-free.

Thus, no printed parachutes from China.

If Estes must sell crap from China--use parachutes printed in the USA. Problem solved!

This parachute can be decorated with a design of your choice usiing colored markers.

Is that a joke?

I have probably purchased over 200 Estes kits over the past 25 years. I will probably never purchase another. With all of the great low power kit makers out there--why buy kits made in China--with all associated problems?

I thought that Estes was moving production back to the USA and that circumstances slowed that a bit and that's the only reason we still have some Chinese made product.

We'll know in a few weeks when we can ask the Estes folks who should be attending NARAM-52.

https://www.peakcity.org/
NARAM-52 Sponsors and On-site VendorsJames FlisGary RosenfieldBill SaindonEstes Model RocketsBill StineArt ApplewhiteJeffrey Joe HintonAurora Flight SciencesMary Roberts I wonder what Aurora will be selling?

I wonder what Aurora will be selling?
Fred, I know you know but others may not. The head of Aurora is John Langford who is a huge supporter of model rocketry and the current manager of the U.S. Spacemodeling team which will be competing in Serbia this August. The Old Rocketeers Reunion at NARAM 50 was held in Aurora's hangar. I'm pretty sure Aurora is sponsoring NARAM 52 just to be helpful.

As a side note, Mary Roberts, from Estes, who will be at NARAM will also be accompanying the U.S. Spacemodeling team to Serbia. It's wonderful to see Estes participating in organized rocketry again!

Fred, I know you know but others may not. The head of Aurora is John Langford who is a huge supporter of model rocketry and the current manager of the U.S. Spacemodeling team which will be competing in Serbia this August. The Old Rocketeers Reunion at NARAM 50 was held in Aurora's hangar. I'm pretty sure Aurora is sponsoring NARAM 52 just to be helpful.

Here's John back in 1972, flying (and destroying, but I can't find the slide with the debris!) a Cineroc, at an airshow at Ben Epps Field in Athens, GA.

That's "Willard of 96Rock" in Atlanta (three or four years before he got that moniker which would stick to him for 25+ years) at the launch panel.

24404_350709339723_551569723_3574111_8338140_n.jpg

The Omega was outfitted with a Foxmitter to transmit sound from the rocket, and was boosted by either an FSI E60 or F100. I don't remember why it crashed, it just did.

Last edited:
I kinda like the new red parachutes. I can spot it more easily than the white and orange.

I kinda like the new red parachutes. I can spot it more easily than the white and orange.

I tend to like them too. I also liked the 18" red cloth parachutes Bill Stine got from China 20 years ago for the MRC rockets. Same reason (and they were preassembled too).

I don't think the E60 existed yet in 1972. The F100 did exist.

I posted the comment because if you read through the heading fast, you might focus on the "on-site vendors" phrase and not notice the "sponsors" word. Maybe they'll have some logo hats, shirts, etc. for sale? And I can always use an extra drone or two. :D

I've got a Foxmitter III sitting in my old electronics box. I built it completely from scratch (etched the cicuit board, but bought the components, since making my own 2N998 would be difficult).

Here's John back in 1972, flying (and destroying, but I can't find the slide with the debris!) a Cineroc, at an airshow at Ben Epps Field in Athens, GA.

That's "Willard of 96Rock" in Atlanta (three or four years before he got that moniker which would stick to him for 25+ years) at the launch panel.

24404_350709339723_551569723_3574111_8338140_n.jpg

The Omega was outfitted with a Foxmitter to transmit sound from the rocket, and was boosted by either an FSI E60 or F100. I don't remember why it crashed, it just did.

I love looking at vintage rocketry photos like this.

You and me both ! Takes me back to summer days when I was 12 years old flying my first Estes rockets with my brother and cousin......great times and memories.

Ahhhhhhhh ,simple times.....the best there is !

I`ve got a stash of old Estes chutes I was going to give away ,but now I think I`ll just keep them.

Paul

Last edited:
I don't know........I see new Estes kits going back to balso nose cones. I see a new catalog full of "classic kits" on the way back and even some of them on the shelves already.

And I see people bashing the company because of "unprinted" chutes? Jeeeeeeeeees!

I don't know........I see new Estes kits going back to balso nose cones. I see a new catalog full of "classic kits" on the way back and even some of them on the shelves already.

And I see people bashing the company because of "unprinted" chutes? Jeeeeeeeeees!

I agree.
Cheers
fred

Latest posts

Back