What to do with an Ace Nose cone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swissyhawk

Reaction score
I was recently given a Rocketry R&D 4" Jayhawk from a relative that's been out of rocketry for many years. He had the kit just laying around. I decided to build it because I think the Jayhawk looks pretty cool. I had never heard of Rocketry R&D until I got this kit and did some searching on the web. I will say this, the quality of today's kits is far superior.

It came with an ace nose cone. It's really thin and easily flexes when I squeeze it. It even flexes on the shoulder. I'd like to know what people did in the past with these nose cones. It has a screw on cap, but I don't think the cap is strong enough to support an eye bolt. On my current builds, I've drilled a large hole in the shoulder so I could get a nut on an eye bolt in the center. I'm worried about drilling or cutting on shoulder of the Ace nose cone because it feels so thin. The base of the nose cone also feels thin (weak?) and I'm not sure if it will support recovery hardware. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The picture shows the ace nose cone on the bottom and a LOC cone on the top.

Ace Nose Cone.jpg

I'd do the same as the LOC cone, maybe foam it for added strength.

Other choices are drill a few holes in the base and weave some thick tubular nylon through to make an attachment point.

If you wish to replace it with another cone let me know. I may have something we can trade or possibly by that Ace cone from you.

They make great tailcones! ^+1 after the MMT is configured. BTW- they actually flew pretty good but because of the flexibility they were hard to keep paint on.

They're fine for Mid and small High Power flights. Add masking tape to the shoulder until it is a snug fit in the body tube. A small eyebolt can be added through where the labeling is (where it says "Ace"). Considering how lightweight the cone is, a 1/4-20 bent steel eyebolt will work fine. Also make sure you keep the cap on it, as this does add quite a bit of resistance to bending/deforming.

I would assume that you won't put more than a J in your Jayhawk, and therefore you'll be just fine.

Back