Plastic Liner Stuck Inside Case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
My 38/1080 case has the plastic liner stuck inside the case after burning a J575 motor. Beginning to think this case is unusable . . . nothing I have tried has budged the liner. I have broken small pieces of the liner out but that's all.

I use a seal disk and wooden dowel to remove liners. You should soak it in Dawn dish washing detergent or Simple green for a bit before smacking it out.

Throw it in the freezer overnight, pull it out and quickly run it under hot water, then pull the liner out. The metal and plastic will contract in the freezer, but the metal should expand faster than the plastic.

Throw it in the freezer overnight, pull it out and quickly run it under hot water, then pull the liner out. The metal and plastic will contract in the freezer, but the metal should expand faster than the plastic.

This is good advice.

I did the freezer method on a bearing, that I was told takes a 2 ton press to set. After a couple of hours in the freezer, I pushed it in with my finger.

TA

I did the freezer method on a bearing, that I was told takes a 2 ton press to set. After a couple of hours in the freezer, I pushed it in with my finger.

TA

Dammit, I thought I was the only one to figure that out!

IMG_0219.JPG

Beer crisper... :rofl:

BTW...

A clean fridge is a sign of a sick mind. :lol:

Yeah,,
I was gonna say dat,,
That fridge is way too clean...
I love the big gear in it though,,
But honey,, where else am I supposed to keep it...

Teddy

I had my 38/720 get stuck after 3 weeks soaking in a "lake" , left it in sun for few days to try to dry out water between linear and case , after that pushed it out rather easy using spacers

lake = sewage treatment pond

12 hours in the freezer, thrown into a tub full of hot water, seal disk inserted and piece of wooden dowel pounded on with hammer . . . NO JOY!

Plastic liner is in there for good. Time to purchase another case since I have (3) J570 reloads to burn.

12 hours in the freezer, thrown into a tub full of hot water, seal disk inserted and piece of wooden dowel pounded on with hammer . . . NO JOY!

Plastic liner is in there for good. Time to purchase another case since I have (3) J570 reloads to burn.

I think you might have missed the intent of this method. If you threw it in the tub then that means you exposed the case and liner to the hot water. I believe the idea is that once you pull the case out of the fridge you rinse the outside with hot water to hopefully make the aluminum warmer than the liner...unless I am missing what you're saying.

Man don't give up on it yet. Could be worse:

[YOUTUBE]3eYDPh8tfVo[/YOUTUBE]

You know another method I use for uber-stubborn phenolic liners is to get a length of PVC that fits inside of the casing and cut it at a sharp angle. This way, I pound the point of the PVC pipe between the liner and case thus shredding the liner. Not sure if that would work here...

-Dave

Get an aluminum rod about 3/8" diameter. Cut the end at about a 30 deg angle to the axis. Force the sharp tip between the liner and case, use a hammer to drive the rod down, splitting the liner. Sometimes it comes out easily once split, other times you will have to split the other side.

Dammit, I thought I was the only one to figure that out!

IMG_0219.JPG

Do the guys down the road know you have Rainier in your fridge?

To the OP, recheck the freezer/hot water method or one of the force methods. If all else fails, rig up a jig and use the jack from your car to apply force to the liner. Instead of writing off the casing, what have you got to lose in trying some of these? Besides, it will make for some good pictures and cautionary tales for the rest of us.

Last edited:
OMG ... look at the size of that case!

I think you might have missed the intent of this method. If you threw it in the tub then that means you exposed the case and liner to the hot water. I believe the idea is that once you pull the case out of the fridge you rinse the outside with hot water to hopefully make the aluminum warmer than the liner...unless I am missing what you're saying.

Man don't give up on it yet. Could be worse:

[YOUTUBE]3eYDPh8tfVo[/YOUTUBE]

You know another method I use for uber-stubborn phenolic liners is to get a length of PVC that fits inside of the casing and cut it at a sharp angle. This way, I pound the point of the PVC pipe between the liner and case thus shredding the liner. Not sure if that would work here...

-Dave

Hank, try the freezer again, with just running hot water on the outside afterwards.

ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT method...

Soak it a short while in a bath of white vinegar. Then put the seal disc in and drive the liner out. ABSOLUTE LAST resort, tho. Cuz if you don't get the liner out and clean off ALL the vinegar within about 15 minutes of it going into the bath, you WILL be buying a new case. The vinegar will eat the aluminum alive.

Hank,,
No kidding,,
If you can't get it out send me the case and I'll get it out for you.........
I'll send it back to you clean as a whistle..........

Do you have my address ?????

Teddy

The vinegar will eat the aluminum alive.

No it won't.

I have yet to have any of my cases that I've tortured with vinegar over the years oxidize or lose their anodizing. I stopped using vinegar not because it ruined cases but because warm water and dish soap is just as or more effective and doesn't make my shop stink.

Hank,,
No kidding,,
If you can't get it out send me the case and I'll get it out for you.........
I'll send it back to you clean as a whistle..........

Do you have my address ?????

Teddy

This is a great freaking offer. Take this fella up on it.

No it won't.

I have yet to have any of my cases that I've tortured with vinegar over the years oxidize or lose their anodizing. I stopped using vinegar not because it ruined cases but because warm water and dish soap is just as or more effective and doesn't make my shop stink.

Yeah Dave,,
I didn't get this one either...
I use straight white vinegar to break down AP burn residue...
I don't find it necessary much on the case itself
but the aft closure I drop in a glass jar of vinegar
and often forget about it...
I've left aft enclosures and seal disks in that vinegar jar for at least a week...

I've never seen any ill effect to the anodizing or the aluminum....

Hank's a good man Dave,,,
I'd love to be able to talk him into sending me that case...
I'll get the liner out.......

Teddy

I bought a used case that had a phenolic liner stuck in it. I used a hacksaw blade to CAREFULLY score the liner in 3 places, as thin as I dared. Then I used bamboo skewers hammered between the liner and case to break it loose. It fought me all the way and came out in pieces, but eventually I got it out. I have not used the case yet, but the closures screw on and off without a hitch.

I'm a poor working stiff & it is a Dr Rocket case, so it had to be saved!

I thought I had better photos, but here is the thread from my removal. Couple photos near the end...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?36468-Stuck-liner-removal

Last edited:
I don't need much of an excuse to buy a new tool. Or build a new rocket. Speaking of which, I need to go shopping...

Hey they opened up a Harbor Freight Tool by me on Rt 18 in East Brunswick NJ.........
WWWooooo HHHoooooooo....

Teddy

I had a 38mm liner get stuck once.... I brought the whole case to a Home Depot in search of something with the same diameter as the liner. I found a piece of electrical conduit that fit perfectly. That with a hammer did the trick.

I want to thank everybody for the outpouring of advice and offers of help. This is truly appreciated and I didn't want to wait any longer to say that. I will make more attempts to fix this myself and let you know how I fare. I will also keep in mind some of the offers of help in case I fail.

I am going to be posting [Wanted] for another 1080 case or complete motor only because I believe in having a backup and since I actually have two complete sets of 38mm cases except for the 1080 case. In fact, the set that is missing the 1080 case is a Dr. Rocket Naram 42 set that is red and mottled (tie dye) black. Have always wanted to complete that set. The case with the stuck liner is a Dr. Rocket red case.

Again, thanks everyone.

I had a 38mm liner get stuck once.... I brought the whole case to a Home Depot in search of something with the same diameter as the liner. I found a piece of electrical conduit that fit perfectly. That with a hammer did the trick.

Hi Chris,,
What was the electrical conduit that was the perfect size for 38 mm...

1" EMT ??????

If I had an extra I'd offer it to you Hank...
I'll keep my eye's open for one...
They pop up every now and again...

Send me the case Hank,, I wanna get the liner out fer ya...

Teddy

Back