Rocksim file needed: Estes Optima or The Shadow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
After reading a build thread on an Estes Shadow, I realized I wanted to build one of these, but didn't want to pay $45 for a kit. I already have most of what I need except a rocksim file or list of BT lengths, fin measurements, and placements. Does anyone have this info?

Thanks.

Thanks. But the measurements on the large tubes is not very clear. Is it 14 3/16 or 14 1/16?

After reading a build thread on an Estes Shadow, I realized I wanted to build one of these, but didn't want to pay $45 for a kit. I already have most of what I need except a rocksim file or list of BT lengths, fin measurements, and placements. Does anyone have this info?

Thanks.

I've attached a couple of Rocksim files. The "clone" file is of my Shadow clone made from Aerotech parts. I basically used an Aerotech kit and replaced the plastic fins with ones I cut from plywood.

The Optima one is by Roger Banks. I assume I got it from EMRR:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/

-- Roger

View attachment oop_estes_optima.rkt

View attachment shadow clone.rkt

Thanks guys. I hope to be able to start work on this asap. I'm going to go with a single 24mm MMT as I'll probably not use anything less than an F12J in it.

Thanks guys. I hope to be able to start work on this asap. I'm going to go with a single 24mm MMT as I'll probably not use anything less than an F12J in it.

That would be a good choice for a "stock" Shadow clone. The Shadow never flew quite high enough on a D12 motor to ensure that the 'chute had time to deploy. My original Shadow suffered quite a few broken fins and dents from rough landings when flying on a D12. Using an Aerotech E15 worked much better.

As I said, I built my Shadow clone using Aerotech parts and thin "through-the-wall" plywood fins. The rocket's heavier than a standard Shadow so I fly it on motors like the F23 or G38.

-- Roger

Back