Sewing technique

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
At work we have these green coats that are made of a heat resistant fabric similar to Nomex. Once in a while these coats become torn or worn out but still have their heat resistant properties. I got the idea to salvage these coats and use them as chute protectors.

When I cut the size square I need, it leaves the edges prone to fraying. I have access to a regular sewing machine but no serger. What can I set the machine on to make a reliable stitch that will keep the edges from fraying?

P.S. - I did a flame test on my own and the fabric is very hard to light with a regular lighter. It singes the fabric a little but doesn't burn it.

You could probably fold over a 1/4" back onto the fabric and then do a zig-zag stitch. You'll lose a little bit of fabric space, and it will be a little stiffer, but it'll keep it from fraying.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
You could probably fold over a 1/4" back onto the fabric and then do a zig-zag stitch. You'll lose a little bit of fabric space, and it will be a little stiffer, but it'll keep it from fraying.

WW

Great!! That sounds like a winner.

Thanks...

I have a large chute protector that I would like to turn into a number of smaller ones, but have held off cutting it up because I don't have any Nomex thread.

Is it necessary/worth it to get Nomex thread for serging the edges of a Nomex chute protector? Or will regular cotton+polyester thread hold up OK since it is out of the direct path of the ejection charge?

You can probably use regular thread if you want because even if the thread burns the chute will still be (mostly) protected. You might have to repair/re-sew it so the cloth doesn't start to fray.

With Rip-Stop nylon the better 2/3rds tells me she likes to use a zig-zag stitch along the edges and around the spill hole to help prevent fraying. we use kevlar thread but have also used plain old nylon also. I also find it helps to sew the shroud lined into the gore seams for added strength.

Back