August Best Rocket Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Preferably one that is STILL in your fleet at the time of the competition!
6. Rocket may be entered into the competition only ONE time!
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

THEME

August..Hmmmm, what happens in August? Other then summer time fun in the sun, I can't think of anything..lol..So, the theme is a wide open one this month! ANYTHING! Submit whatever suits your fancy that you think is your best rocket creation!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is Sunward Aerospace! And the prize up for grabs is A $30 SHOPPING SPREE!..Edited to show what this months prize is! A free for all to get what you want up to $30!:cool:

So, submit away!

Last edited:
V2 Project Blossom
This is a V2 Project Blossom; plans came from Peter Always books “The Art of Scale Modeling”, and “Scale Bash”. It is a BT-60 based model with parts coming from the Estes Der Red Max and Patriot. The fins are 3/32 basswood. The roll patterns were drawn on with a Sharpie marker. The numbers on the fins were done in Word then printed onto decal paper. This rocket uses an 18mm motor mount and uses the motors that are recommend for the Der Red Max.

V2 Blossom A.jpg

V2 Blossom B.jpg

V2 Blossom C.jpg

V2 Blossom D.jpg

V2 Blossom parts.jpg

I'd like to enter my Estes Big Bertha modification for the August Rocket of the Month. This Big Bertha has been modified with a 24 millimeter motor mount to fly on up to F power (though I have only tried it on a C6 using an adapter, and a D12). The balsa fins have been replaced with plywood fins, a kevlar shock cord was substituted for the weak rubber band, and an 18" nylon x-form parachute that jumps from rocket to rocket was swapped in for the 18" plastic chute. Body tube spirals and fins were sealed with a wood filler and water slurry, and the rocket was primed and painted in what seems to be a Tony the Tiger theme using cheap spraypaint from Michaels. The flight picture is from our college club launch on a farm 2 hours east of Pittsburgh, I can't remember the town. Good luck to all the entrants.

bbresized3.jpg

bbresized2.jpg

bbresized1.jpg

3041_99040854545_657679545_2553342_7914963_n.jpg

Last edited:
This month, I'm entering my Art Applewhite Stealth 54mm oddroc. This is the "big boy" version of this kit as Art offers 13mm, 18mm, 24mm, 29mm, 38mm and this massive 54mm.

It was relatively easy to build except this thing sucked up what seemed like a gallon of epoxy.;)

It was also the first time I ever glassed a rocket.

Also, for those interested, here is the build thread:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=40018&highlight=54mm

To date I have flown this on an AMW J357WW, a Research J170 C-slot sugar motor, an AT K695R, a really awesome flight:D and a Research J180 C-slot KN/Epoxy motor in a drag race with another oddroc.:D

Stealth oddroc.jpg

54mm oddroc drag race.jpg

Last edited:
This is my I-ROC EXT. This was flown on an Aerotech K550 at LDRS 28 to 4,776 feet. It is 75 inches tall, 5.5" in diameter and weighed in at 12 pounds on the pad. it landed about a mile away. It was drogueless at apogee and main at 400 feet. I used a Perfectflite HA45K altimeter for electronics.

LDRS28-081882.jpg

The IMG tag is your friend... Great looking upscale by the way, glad you were able to repair it. Hope you don't mind me posting the images differently for you.

IMG_5353.sized.jpg

IMG_5351.sized.jpg

IMG_5352.sized.jpg

My entry is this experimental rocket. It utilizes air ducting through the motor mount to reduce base drag and increase the air pressure at the nozzle exhaust area. I built the kit as instructed with wood glue but added fiberglas to the fins and body tube joint area to strengthen the surface mount as well as an ejection baffle. After a dozen flights it spit the mmt at ejection. I rebuilt it with a new mount with five 3/8 holes through the lower ring. I cut five triangular holes in the BT between the rings and aligned the mmt holes with them. Then five triangular scoops were glued to the BT to direct air through the mmt.
The first flight was straight to a comparable altitude as the original design with a small payload added. The rocket then was primed(3 coats) and lavishly filled with glazing putty(4 coats) to smooth the exterior. The finish is three coats of Rustoleum fluorescent green and two coats gloss black for the details.
Two subsequent flights had slight arcs without the payload likely due to the increased weight of the filler. I hope to fly it on an AT E soon. Ted

Last day to get your entries in! Entry period closes tonight at midnight EDT(or when I get home from work tonight-whichever is later!), so get in the running for a $30 shopping spree at Sunward Aero!:D Official 'closing' post will go up when I get back from work tonight!

Here is my entry for the month. AIM-54A Phoenix Missile (Peanut Scale). The rocket measures just under 30cm in height and weighs just slightly over 2 oz. The best part of this model other than the decals is the motor. The rocket is built to use a 24mm engine. I have only been brave enough to launch it on a C11 and it screams off the pad to some exceptional altitudes. It has flown a number of times with great results. Shown below are a few pictures. Isn't photography great? If the rocket is only 30 cm how tall is the guy in the background???

If you are interested in the build information checkout:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/scratch_baby_phoenix.shtml

Ray King

aim-54a-1.jpg

P1010216.jpg

P1010211.jpg

CIMG21198.jpg

Okay! Acording to my Mickey Mouse it is past midnight here on the east coast..So, entry period is officially closed!

Some very nice looking rockets for this month! And exactly 7 entrants, so only 1,single, lonely poll this month!:roll:

Poll to be posted shortly! Good luck contestants! :D

My 3X Orbital Transport is the best rocket. I scaled up the plans and redrew the decals in Corel Draw. It is built from parts by LOC, BMS, PML and Estes. I fiberglassed the main wing section tip to tip over the 29mm motor mount. I built custom brackets for the wing tips. I trimmed the glider by hand tossing using both arms. It ended up with 1 oz nose weight added. It flew on an H-180 with 4s trimmed off of the delay. The flight was spectacular. There was a nice NASA roll. The glider seperated from the top of the booster right at apogee. It was a beautiful glide that lasted a few minutes. It flew over the swamp and was found in the thicket after a breif search. The chute got stuck in the booster which resulted in the crash. I have already repaired it by adding a coupler and more airframe. Here is a link to the video. https://sears572.com/gallery/2009-07-12Vids/Russ_Roberts_H_motor_glider_crash
Thanks to Marty Wiggins for the Video and Greg Lane for the pictures.
Pictures are posted below. Thanks Sleepy Steve.

Russ Roberts
TRA L2
SEARS572

Great looking OT. Sorry, I missed your reply months ago. I am still building slowly.
Your OT rolled more than I would expect but just as I would like mine to. Did you use spin tabs or did it roll naturally? I have put small tabs on my Semroc OT and am waiting for a warmer day (above freezing) to launch off the lake to test the spin tab idea.
Also, did you keep the same singular glider mount? I was planning to add mounts on the booster's glider supports.
Thanks,
Matt

I did not add spin inducing surfaces, but I do like the slow NASA roll that it has. I just used the single hook at the nose, but I do agree that it would be better to add a pair on the wings at the glider supports.

Back