Are Micro Models Not included in the LPR section?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes about the challenge aspect. As to whether there really is a need for a composite propellant 6mm motor, well, how about a long-burning end burner?

(BTW, take a look at the description for this forum up at the top of the page. :) )

But the technical challenge of putting APCP propellant into such a small package (and being able to ignite it) would really be the appeal here, not some perceived need for a more powerful option for Micromaxx fliers.

But why not? With all due respect, powderburner, have you ever tried putting an Estes A into a BT-3? :eek:

Now, how about a 6mm diameter microhybrid? :D

Mark \\. (grinning and ducking)

Yes! I did notice the Forum Header tag line change. Thanks Troy, that clears the thread location up:)

The other posting to this thread have also been interesting. I don't mind getting a little off topic if it helps or draws intererst to the general idea...

Personally, I'd like to see some longer DELAYs, and a -0 Booster for existing MMX-II motors. a 2 or 3 second delay would greatly increase the atainable altitudes of micros at the current .31Ns power level.
I have many models that can get well over the current 82m (269') mark if we only had a longer delay motor. Some of my 1999 and 2000 designs flown on the old .21Ns motors tracked and closed well over 300feet with the 1.07s avg delays but were still going up at ejection. the Current .89s delay motor is fine for the average 10-14g models but for super light, streamlined models most of the power is really wasted.

Higher altitudes really do not necessarly require Longer burns or different propellants rather a bit better model engineering and construction.

I've thought some about making a micro Hybrid, having some experinece with them back in the early 60's...Hybrids are nothing new. I believe the main problems would be machining a micro main valve, and tank weight to volumn constraints. but it's surely worth a hard look;)

Last edited:
[...]
I've thought some about making a micro Hybrid, having some experinece with them back in the early 60's...Hybrids are nothing new. I believe the main problems would be machining a micro main valves, and tank weight to volumn constraints. but it's surely worth a hard look;)
Well, I wasn't talking about microhybrids per se, but about Micro-microhybrids! (Nanohybrids? :p ) At any rate, I had tongue firmly in cheek when I wrote that. :D

Mark \\.

I've thought some about making a micro Hybrid, having some experinece with them back in the early 60's...Hybrids are nothing new. I believe the main problems would be machining a micro main valves, and tank weight to volumn constraints. but it's surely worth a hard look;)

Did it use something other than the whipped cream chargers?

Aw come'on, everyone knows Micros aren't real hobby/sport rockets - they're classified as toys.

(He says as he steps slowly back, and covers his vital organs and head)

Well, I wasn't talking about microhybrids per se, but about Micro-microhybrids! (Nanohybrids? :p ) At any rate, I had tongue firmly in cheek when I wrote that. :D

Mark \\.

Sorry Mark, I must have missed something? "tongue firmly in cheek" Why's that?
It's been conclusively proven, anything that's being done in sport rocketry can and is being done with micros. More importantly being done without the outlandish costs involved in some of the bigger stuff. granted there would be a pretty hefty pricetag on developing a to use your term Nano Hybrid system for use with micro models but that's not to say it can't or won't be realized at some point.

I for one see Micros expanding in both use and popurarity as money and more importantly flying fields become smaller and harder to find, expecially here in the east.

Oh Ak:
Now that was funny ROTFL!!!!

They already have super micros!

Just cut the head off of a match and wrap it with aluminium foil! (with a tiny hole in one end)

Sorry Mark, I must have missed something? "tongue firmly in cheek" Why's that?
It's been conclusively proven, anything that's being done in sport rocketry can and is being done with micros. More importantly being done without the outlandish costs involved in some of the bigger stuff. granted there would be a pretty hefty pricetag on developing a to use your term Nano Hybrid system for use with micro models but that's not to say it can't or won't be realized at some point.

I for one see Micros expanding in both use and popurarity as money and more importantly flying fields become smaller and harder to find, expecially here in the east.

Oh Ak:
Now that was funny ROTFL!!!!
Hear, hear! What he said!!! :) :D :) :D

I couldn't agree more!!!

Mark \\.

They already have super micros!

Just cut the head off of a match and wrap it with aluminium foil! (with a tiny hole in one end)
Sorry, but that's not a model rocket. I know that you were just kidding, though. (You were, weren't you?) :D

Mark \\.

Not quite a Nano Hybrid but could make for a small field rocket.

https://www.aeroconsystems.com/motors/Screamer_folder/screamer.htm
Yes, the S'Creamer is one of a few different versions of a microhybrid. Microhybrids were invented about 15 years ago. The Aerocon S'Creamer is commercially-made and has been available for years. It uses standard-sized commercially-made vials of nitrous oxide for the oxygen component of the propellant, and uses Aerocon's own standard-sized sleeves of acrylic plastic for the fuel. Aerocon doesn't make the nitrous containers, but they do sell them. (This makes them the only hybrid motor maker that I know of that actually supplies the N20 for its motors.) As noted at the Aerocon site, the S'Creamer has a total impulse equivalent to a D motor. It is slightly smaller in diameter than an Estes D12, but with the nitrous tank, it is substantially longer. At 22mm in diameter, it could use either a Semroc ST-8 or ST-8F as a motor tube. Bill S., is this something that could be NAR certified?

Mark \\.

This thread got me to get out a couple of my Micros and go in the backyard for a drag race . The Diminutive Deuce's mega power against the sleek Micro Kraken. It was a tie off the line with the Deuce easily going twice as high.

dragrace.JPG

Yes, the S'Creamer is one of a few different versions of a microhybrid. Microhybrids were invented about 15 years ago. .........Bill S., is this something that could be NAR certified?

Mark \\.

Good question. The NFPA 1125 rules for hybrids are a little confusing. I'm pretty sure it would have to be certified as a high power motor and there might be some issue with the nitrous cartridges since the manufacturer probably doesn't want them to be used in a rocket engine for liability reasons. Then again, since they can be shipped they must have some kind of DOT approval. If one is submitted I'm sure S & T will have some interesting discussions!

This thread got me to get out a couple of my Micros and go in the backyard for a drag race . The Diminutive Deuce's mega power against the sleek Micro Kraken. It was a tie off the line with the Deuce easily going twice as high.

Oh wow...
Great little model to go with the monster you have already built.
If you keep turning out such goodies we may have to put you on the payroll.
;)

Good question. The NFPA 1125 rules for hybrids are a little confusing. I'm pretty sure it would have to be certified as a high power motor and there might be some issue with the nitrous cartridges since the manufacturer probably doesn't want them to be used in a rocket engine for liability reasons. Then again, since they can be shipped they must have some kind of DOT approval. If one is submitted I'm sure S & T will have some interesting discussions!
Bill - I'd like to continue this discussion for just a little bit more in a new thread, OK? I have just a couple more thoughts on the matter, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Mark \\.

Back