April Best Rocket Competition!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum/YORF/RP Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 22nd until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture must include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.Please..This contest is going to be run concurrently on 3 forums..So, please, keep your integrity intact and enter only once. Either here, over on YORF or RP.
4. No extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Preferably one that is STILL in your fleet at the time of the competition!
6. Rocket may be entered into the competition only ONE time!
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st(or there about) of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

THEME

ODDROC's! Seems appropriate for April! :D Seeing as we have survived April Fools Day, things are going good! So, let's see those odd/weird/bizarre/outlandish and 'that can't possibly fly' rockets!

This month's competition is being proudly sponsored by Hot Rod Rocket Shop(Hotrod Lincoln)! And he has mentioned earlier that he 'will make it worth your effort to enter'!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

I am sure it will be something pretty special from Hot Rod Rocketry! Stay tuned! ;)

Saw this posted on YORF too. Two separate contests or one in the same?

Ed

Saw this posted on YORF too. Two separate contests or one in the same?

Ed

One in the same..Allows people to submit and join in the contest from the venue of their choice..Be it here, YORF or Rocketry Planet..

APRIL BRC PRIZES from HotRod Rockets Posted on all three Forums.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

APRIL BRC PRIZES from HotRod Rockets

Aprils' winner..... hmmmm what to offer? Let's go down in to the rocket shop and see what I can dig up.

Well now this is a multi-forum event. I do hope to see lots of entries, better offer lots of prizes.

Alright, I just put together an official HotRod Rockets big box O' Prizes.

Winner for April's multi forum contest gets a HotRod assortment one each of these Kits:

Kestrel
Begal
Discovery
Endeavor
and V.B.B. Accessory (booster)

So let's see those ODD ROCKS!

Also, PantherJohn: If you need a “second place or runner up prize” I got a little sumth'in for that two.
Let Me know.

WOW! 4 rockets and a booster kit for the winner! That is AWESOME Dave! And yeah, a little sumthin' sumthin' for the runner up would be cool too!

So, don't be shy! Lot's of cool stuff up for grabs! If you don't enter the contest, at least visit our sponsor's website and spend some $$'s - Dave has a bunch of 'kewl' stuff over there!:D

This one is a favorite of mine and has proven very dependable.

It's a near copy of Art Applewhite's DESCON 14 entry and I found the plans on EMRR here: https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/cluster_cone.shtml

My own experience is chronicled here: https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/plan_aaw_3-stage_cluster.shtml

As a kid I never had luck with either clusters or staged rockets. When I decided to try as a BAR I went for broke with this design that did both and was not a kit. I have been well rewarded for the effort.

The first stage features a cluster on 3x24mm motors. The configuation is D11=Ps outboard and a D12-0 in the center. The second stage is 18mm and I've used both B6 and C6, depending on the field, audience, wind etc. The top is 13mm and is intended for an A10-P although I've used motors with ejection charges succesfully. I even used a 1/4A3-3 one at a museum exhibition so everythign wood take place at an easy to see altitude.

It has worked perfected every time, always pleases the kids and is currently awaiting the replacement of the sustainer which was lost to the San Antonio River in another museum exhibition.

My most memorable flight occured once with the full power configuration. Everuthng worked perfectly and the 3 stage landed in a straight line at equidistant intervals from the pad. Art was there when it happened and told me that he's still trying to get his to work right; mine has not failed.

2 stage.jpg

3-stage-web.jpg

Straight-line-landing.jpg

descon14entry.gif

Here is my Odd roc entry for April

Its never flown and is EXTREMELY unstable. We have to keep this ahem....."model" in a cage because it has an unusual liking for high thrust!!!

Ben

scott.jpg

Its never flown and is EXTREMELY unstable. We have to keep this ahem....."model" in a cage because it has an unusual liking for high thrust!!!

Ben

Lol.

Here's my Odd-Ball entry:
It was actually an entry in a local Orlando R.O.C.K. section competition.
While the "rules" hinted at building a rocket featured in any NAR logo, I decided to fly the actual lettering from the logo.
I carved the R.O.C.K. letters out of florists green styrofoam, it was actually easier than I thought it would be.
To get the letters on the BT-5 tube I simply turned the tube into the foam, drilling through the letters. The nose cone was carved out of left over foam.
I sprayed the foam with white, then painted over with grey appled with a foam brush. I left some of the white showing. I added highlights with a dusting of black spray and touches of a sharpie pen. I was trying to give the letters a carved granite look.
Three wide fins were made from laminated card stock. I added five nose weight washers under the nose. Because of the narrow body tube, I used streamer recovery.
I was not looking for altitude, just stability and safe recovery. It did fly stable! - only one time with an A10-3t engine.
That's it for me!

rsz_rockonlauncher.jpg

View attachment Rocklogo.bmp

Ben

C'mon Ben... You know you are just jealous of the Members Only jacket... And maybe because that, MY first HPR flight, was successful:p.

Ben

But what makes yours the "best"?

Here's my Odd-Ball entry:
It was actually an entry in a local Orlando R.O.C.K. section competition.
While the "rules" hinted at building a rocket featured in any NAR logo, I decided to fly the actual lettering from the logo.
I carved the R.O.C.K. letters out of florists green styrofoam, it was actually easier than I thought it would be.
To get the letters on the BT-5 tube I simply turned the tube into the foam, drilling through the letters. The nose cone was carved out of left over foam.
I sprayed the foam with white, then painted over with grey appled with a foam brush. I left some of the white showing. I added highlights with a dusting of black spray and touches of a sharpie pen. I was trying to give the letters a carved granite look.
Three wide fins were made from laminated card stock. I added five nose weight washers under the nose. Because of the narrow body tube, I used streamer recovery.
I was not looking for altitude, just stability and safe recovery. It did fly stable! - only one time with an A10-3t engine.
That's it for me!

How did you do in the section competition?

I didn't win, but then again I wasn't really looking to win anything. I just liked the challenge and the laughs the model got. Here's how the R.O.C.K. website re-cap explained it:

"If we would have been handing out awards for the most creative entry, Chris M with his <---R-O-C-K---<<< arrow shaped "Styrofoam Rock-it" rocket would have taken the cake! His foam R-O-C-K letters on a BT-5 shaft really caught the spirit of thinking outside of the "logo" box."

That alone is winning to me. I launch with a great group.

By the way, the youngest entrant (with the biggest model) took first place!

ROCKContestEntries2.7.09.jpg

I didn't win, but then again I wasn't really looking to win anything. I just liked the challenge and the laughs the model got. Here's how the R.O.C.K. website re-cap explained it:

"If we would have been handing out awards for the most creative entry, Chris M with his <---R-O-C-K---<<< arrow shaped "Styrofoam Rock-it" rocket would have taken the cake! His foam R-O-C-K letters on a BT-5 shaft really caught the spirit of thinking outside of the "logo" box."

That alone is winning to me. I launch with a great group.

By the way, the youngest entrant (with the biggest model) took first place!

I agree. It was a cool idea.

Dr Who fans will immediately recognise the Police phone box that is the TARDIS. TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. It is the method of transport through time and space for the Doctor: the last of the Time Lords. It is shaped like a police box due to an accident on earth where the TARDIS was damaged and got stuck in its present form, until the accident, it would camouflage itself into what shape suited its environment. Using Time Lord Technology, the TARDIS is famed for being bigger on the inside than on the outside.

This rocket started life as a money box filled with sweets. It is actually the second of my TARDISs: The recovery system is rear ejection. A 24mm couple was weighted with a washer and Steel bonded to the top of the TARDIS to raise the CG. On ejection the whole tube and base will eject, the base is linked to the outer TARDIS via a shock cord with a parachute attached.

The recovery system is an 18 inch chute, this needs to be wrapped next to the body tube and be held against the to be via the shock cord. Flights are on D12-3. and gets to a respectable hieght of about 400-500 foot.

The whole thing cost me about £3 to make. There are similar rockets on the market, but I like mine, and its a lot cheaper too. The static photo shows a TARDIS in the rain... it always rains. The second shows lift off on a D12.

p18_gillard_02.jpg

p18_gillard_03.jpg

Well, we have a total of 3 rockets in the competition so far?:confused: Now, I know that there are quite a few of you out there who have Odd-Rocs! I will hold open the contest until midnight Friday night(or whenever I get home from work-which ever is later)...So let's see some Odd Rockets! ;)

DEADLINE: 12:01am 4/25/09!

Last edited:
there's three on this thread: Jal3, hcmbanjo and Gillard

are there any from the other forum?

My bad!:eek: Made the correction in the post above..There are 3 entries in this months contest..Still too few! Just another reminder:

DEADLINE: 12:01AM 4/25/09!

And there have been no other entries from the other forums..:(

Our rocket started out as bank in which my daughter found at the toy store. She walked in with a bank and said this would make a great rocket. Some of our best rockets have come from what my daughter finds and brings home. Over the next two months we worked on make the bank into a rocket. The hard plastic did not take any glue well so we worked out a way that the only epoxy was the fins being glue to the engine tube. Fin can slides in and is held in place buy the slots in the tube hardened by zap and four plastic rivets and the rear plastic cap. The nose cone is fasten by two plywood discs screwed together. It has flown on F,G,H engines each flight was great. This is my daughters #1 rocket thank god I have a few more tubes if a problem comes up. Jim

happy girl.jpg

Copy of good day2.jpg

mellow yellow pad.jpg

My submission for the April Best Rocket Competition is: Bad to the Bone. This meets the “ODD ROC” theme because it employees 3 different types of recovery. Upon ejection the rocket separates into 4 components: main body, upper body, escape pod, and internal payload. The main and upper body sections deploy parachutes, the escape pod is a glider and the internal payload is helicopter recovery. It is my best because it was built completely out of parts provided by other Rocketeers as part of the EMMR 2008 “Box of Stuff” contest. Including things like a Happy Birthday Horn (part of the nose), tooth picks (painted yellow), and tonque depressors. I included a picture prior to paint so you see some of these items. This rocket flies very nicley on a 24mm engine.

Here is a link with more information: https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/scratch_bop_king_bad_to_the_bone.shtml

Thanks,
Ray

b2b_close_up_of_party_horn.jpg

b2b_depolyment_b.jpg

b2b_launch_rod.jpg

Okay...I am now home..:rolleyes:..So entry time has expired!

We have 5 entries!:D Thank you all for joining in the fun! Now the REAL fun begins! Time to vote! Poll to be posted within minutes!

Back