Beginner RMS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hobbyline 29/40-120 on the left, RMS 29/120 on the right
9160725974_5ec2a450c9_b.jpg

The magazine is as much for my family's safety as for the safety of the reloads. I'm a safety nut. Just prefer the sealed away from accidental flame and such.

Ok. So if red arrow has the 3 set in stock, I'll order it tomorrow. Now I just have to find affordable reloads. Does anyone other than Aerotech make those?

Does anyone other than Aerotech make those?

No. I purchase reloads at https://www.buyrocketmotors.com/ which, as luck would have it, is local to me. There is a local Hobbytown USA store that carries a selection as well.

Other sources:

https://www.valuerockets.com/

https://www.hobbylinc.com/aerotech-model-rockets

... Are they really any better than aerotech cases?

No, same-same. Rouse made cases under license to Aerotech specs. That agreement ended recently so no new Rouse-tech but you may find some still in the pipeline.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Rouse-Tech-inventory&highlight=rouse+aerotech

Last edited:
The 29/120 case has a couple of really cool loads, but if I had it to do over again, not sure I'd get the 29/120 and the 38/120. I do like the loads though. The reloads for those cases are MUCH different, using HPR style bates grains (basically a propellant grain with a drilled out core ) rather than the slotted grains of the hobbyline cases.

I typically use my 29/40-120 for F and G loads, and the 24/40 case for E and F loads. My favorites for the 29/40-120 are the F40, G64 and the G76 (this is a green motor, and is a real neck snapper!) For the 24/40, MAD love for the E18 and the F24...

. I almost typed PMS reloads; just stay away from those.

Dying here..."everyone run, she's reloading!" Thanks for the hearty laugh first thing in the morning, needed that!

To stay on topic I agree- the 24/40 and 29/40-120 are invaluable additions to my flybox.

Just a few tips that have worked for me.....Watch this forum for good prices on used hobbyline hardware. Over the years I have made several good deals here. E-bay is iffy, but deals can be had. By far the best way to get extra hardware is is at your local club launches. Put a sign up on your table. 'Wanted hobbyline cases 18, 24, 29. Buy or trade.' I have scored more hardware and loads this way. And you get to meet some real fine folks! 18mm around 20.00, 24mm 20.00 to 25.00, and around 25.00 to 30.00 for the 29mm. Wildman has 24 cases for around 25.00, new. Many times high power fliers who have not used their hobby stuff in a while will sell you their cases and loads cheap. Buy them. You will be suprised at how much fun you can have with these motors, and most of the time, cheaper than bp motors. A great way to get into AP. Have fun! Tim Thomas L3

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423195998.734922.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1423196036.524942.jpg

I just happen to be building a 18mm motor mount for use with RMS. You must file down the hook under the thrust ring so the casing and charge fit. It is easier to do in the build stage but you can file down existing hooks.

Another option is the Rocketarium 18mm retainer. I have a few and they are nice but also pricey.

Last edited:
The magazine is as much for my family's safety as for the safety of the reloads. I'm a safety nut. Just prefer the sealed away from accidental flame and such.

Safety is a good thing. I won't try to talk you out of that. However, remember that APCP is not explosive. Outside of a motor to contain the pressure, it just burns slowly. Also, It's pretty hard to light, even when you really really want it to.....

However, remember that APCP is not explosive. Outside of a motor to contain the pressure, it just burns slowly. Also, It's pretty hard to light, even when you really really want it to.....

You could store some copperheads with the reloads.. then they'll never ignite.

~sorry.. i just had to.

Umm. Blonde moment here. Copperheads are the igniters that I've heard bad things about right? Are those the ones with flat copper on each side of a paper tail?

yeah-they're all copper, and you have to use a special clip or tape on both sides to get them to ignite. Fortunately they're getting phased out by aerotech, and are being replaced by ones that are a little more friendly

Umm. Blonde moment here. Copperheads are the igniters that I've heard bad things about right? Are those the ones with flat copper on each side of a paper tail?

There's really nothing wrong with them...and I've never had one fail. But a variety of things can lead to them not working, or being... difficult. I believe they stopped making them.

The joke being, with a copperhead near a motor....it's guaranteed it'll never light :) The ignitors I use burn at 5400 degrees, and I've had a motor or two act a bit stubborn about lighting even on those. composite motors are relatively safe.

I think I may have a copperhead. Have one F21-4W left and I think they have copperhead igniters.

I've had good results with Copperheads. They're current hogs, though, and work better with relay type launch systems.

01_copperheads.jpg

02_copperheads.jpg

07_interlock.jpg

10_paper.jpg

11_tape.jpg

13_lighter.jpg

That card stock with a hole in it is freaking genius. So much more elegant than the tape method.

That card stock with a hole in it is freaking genius. So much more elegant than the tape method.

I wish I could take credit for it, but someone here told me about it. The card stock headers from the AT reload packages are perfect for it.

One feature of the 29/40-120 hobby-line case is the fact that the forward and aft O-rings are the same size. This helps <me> speed up assembly in the field. By comparison (18-54):

18/20 Case - larger O-ring is forward
24/40 Case - larger O-ring is aft
24/60 Case - forward and aft O-rings are same size
29 RMS - larger O-ring is forward
38 RMS - larger O-ring is aft
54 RMS - forward and aft O-rings are same size

I excluded the seal disk and liner O-rings from the above.

One feature of the 29/40-120 hobby-line case is the fact that the forward and aft O-rings are the same size. This helps <me> speed up assembly in the field. By comparison (18-54):

18/20 Case - larger O-ring is forward
24/40 Case - larger O-ring is aft
24/60 Case - forward and aft O-rings are same size
29 RMS - larger O-ring is forward
38 RMS - larger O-ring is aft
54 RMS - forward and aft O-rings are same size

I excluded the seal disk and liner O-rings from the above.
Wow, that's even more awful than I realized. So much for keeping a simple "if different sizes, larger is aft" thing remembered. It'd be easier if the instructions used words like "thicker" and "thinner" rather than only listing fractional inches...

I have a notebook with print outs of all the assembly drawings from the AT web site for all reloads 18mm through 54mm. The cross section diagrams with the component list in the corner is easier for me to read than the axonometric illustrations with shades of gray that are hard to distinguish. IMHO.

I have a notebook with print outs of all the assembly drawings from the AT web site for all reloads 18mm through 54mm. The cross section diagrams with the component list in the corner is easier for me to read than the axonometric illustrations with shades of gray that are hard to distinguish. IMHO.

I agree. I do the same thing.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/resources.aspx?id=6

While we are on the subject of RMS has anyone received or used the RMS-EZ loads yet? Are those just an option or are they replacing the RMS with them? I hope not, I want to use all the forward closures I have. I don't mind putting the delay assembly together.

While we are on the subject of RMS has anyone received or used the RMS-EZ loads yet? Are those just an option or are they replacing the RMS with them? I hope not, I want to use all the forward closures I have. I don't mind putting the delay assembly together.

I got some as part my Wildman bss order. They seem to be replacing the standard reloads, but most are still shipping as the standard variety- I think they've only converted 3 or 4 to EZ so far. Iirc, they're still providing a forward retaining ring with new orders, do no new hardware will be necessary. One also comes as part of the reload adapter system, so if you have one or are getting one, you're good.

Nate

Back