X-Winder Creating Incomplete Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eysenbachj

Reaction score
I am working with a 4-axis X-Winder in 2X mode. I have successfully wound a 3.5-inch mandrel many times however am now struggling to wind a ~12-inch mandrel (we have the 16" expansion kit). The software claims to be 100% done with the wind but in reality, the part is 95% done (see photos). Has anyone else had this problem when working with larger mandrels? I have done multiple winds with the same result. Thanks for any ideas!Screen Shot 2023-07-05 at 11.20.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-05 at 11.20.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-07-05 at 11.20.28 AM.png

So I would question that your mandrel axis is moving less than the program thinks it is. I see you have a 1.5:1-ish belt reduction that could explain what you're seeing (if the software thinks it's not there).

I would check both axis (since you're at it):
Is your carriage axis (z-axis?) moving 10 inches when told to move 10 inches?
Is your mandrel axis (c-axis?) moving 360 degrees when told to move 360 degrees?

If you're doing multiple layers with this setup, the error could get buried: 4x 3/4 layers would be 3 complete layers. This could explain why you're not seeing it on you 3" winds.

Back