X-15 (3D printed parts + BT-80 body tubes + plywood fins)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think @KenECoyote might experiment with launching with the external tanks (maybe with them moved back to the rear of plane). I am sending him some prototype external tank parts.
They are pretty centered on the CG location so I don't think they're going to impact flight if you have the CG near the front of the wing I mean the actual airplane flew with them there and their CG was further back.
If you do another run I'll definitely take an a2 kit with the external tank parts

I think @KenECoyote might experiment with launching with the external tanks (maybe with them moved back to the rear of plane). I am sending him some prototype external tank parts.
I've done a rush build (don't judge me! Lol) with the tanks and plan to launch it tomorrow as a first test. I've done swing testing with 6oz nose weight and it performed well.
20230505_085255.jpg
If all goes according to "best laid plans" ;) , I'll detail the build in a separate thread.

20230505_092341.jpg
20230505_092357.jpg
I love how it built up and the finished result!

I've done a rush build (don't judge me! Lol) with the tanks and plan to launch it tomorrow as a first test. I've done swing testing with 6oz nose weight and it performed well.
View attachment 578995
If all goes according to "best laid plans" ;) , I'll detail the build in a separate thread.

View attachment 578998
View attachment 578999
I love how it built up and the finished result!
Your build is incredible! The X-15 looks cheeky winking like that.

For everyone's reference -- Ken will be the first person to launch this model with those bottom drop tanks. I did not even make the tank ends in the original model since they seemed likely to make this a bit less stable. Anyway, 3-4oz should be good weight w/o the tanks so Ken went up to 6oz with the tanks.

I really appreciate everyone pushing me to make this more and more prototypical and to add details that were on the real thing. I guess I will need to add oval window inserts for the tank version (or make some new NC versions)!

Last edited:
It flew! 😍🤩🥳

I used mini rail buttons and the 20mm rail happened to just make it between the tail and a tank (I did file a bit of the base of the rear tail for clearance the night before after measuring). Sometimes things just work out so well!
20230506_093417.jpg

20230506_133239.jpg

Rocket took off very quickly on an F52 and it weathercocked and arced overhead faster than I could track with my camera. It then ejected at apogee (with one tank coming loose, but my fault since I made them removable and could've fastened them better) and the JL Chute release opened at 400' with the rocket landing just behind the pads.
20230506_134231.jpg
Success! :clapping::cheers:

Tomorrow: Drag race an Apogee X-15? 😈

It flew! 😍🤩🥳

I used mini rail buttons and the 20mm rail happened to just make it between the tail and a tank (I did file a bit of the base of the rear tail for clearance the night before after measuring). Sometimes things just work out so well!
View attachment 579240

View attachment 579239

Rocket took off very quickly on an F52 and it weathercocked and arced overhead faster than I could track with my camera. It then ejected at apogee (with one tank coming loose, but my fault since I made them removable and could've fastened them better) and the JL Chute release opened at 400' with the rocket landing just behind the pads.
View attachment 579241
Success! :clapping::cheers:

Tomorrow: Drag race an Apogee X-15? 😈

It was a great accomplishment to get this to fly with the tanks (and they are supposed to drop off so that is prototypical). Also a beautiful model!

It flew very straight once it got going. I actually think that the rail was a bit short (it was only about 4 feet long). Tail kicked out a bit (it shifted into the wind so maybe it was windcocking) just after it came off the rod but then flew very straight.

Here is the video that my wife took (she also lost the rocket for a bit since it took off so fast).

Drag race with an Apogee X-15!

So my friend at the field had a built Apogee X-15 and he had just launched it Saturday before I launched mine. After mine was successful I think he suggested a drag race!

He decided to go big with a G78! 😳

My choice was tougher since I hadn't flown mine without tanks and without the added nose weight (a 2oz lead donut).

I ended up choosing a F44-4W (24mm) with a 29mm adapter (from an Aerotech kit?) because I had just used that motor in a drag race and it lit quickly and really jumped off the pads (I was lucky lol).

20230507_120744.jpg

Here's the drag race (LCO said first off the pads wins):

Drag race Rematch with an Apogee X-15!

That launch was beautiful! It windcocked a bit and recovered nearby the pads. I had used a JLCR set for 300'.

Since my friend's didn't launch, I asked if he wanted a rematch and he was game!

I considered all options again, but joked that he made it too easy for me to win, so I'll do a cluster of 2 D16s. 😆

I'm really loving this kit. Quite tough and very modular on the engine options if built that way. I'll likely do another launch with tanks on F again and then try G motor sans tanks at our next club launch.

I'm really loving this kit. Quite tough ...
I'll add that while I was quite confident in my RR X-15 surviving tough landings and deployments (it actually reminds me a lot of my 4" Hangar 11 X-15 with its stoutness), I wasn't so sure about the Apogee one given the balsa wings and fins on that one.

In fact, my friend's Apogee X-15 had significant damage from what I'm guessing was a high speed deployment/too short delay (zipper and then maybe the wings and rear fin hit the taut line):

20230507_214730.jpg
(My friend's Apogee X-15 after the drag race. )

Now this is the second friend at our club that I know of with the Apogee model who had the wing/fin part broken. The first complained about the fragility and I think his had damage on landing in a ditch. YMMV.

Edit: I'll add that I'm not bashing the Apogee kit. I have one in the build pile and I think it's a gorgeous kit, but I also feel it's different. It reminds me more of the TLP kits... lighter and goes higher on smaller motors.

Back