Would a Baro-Sensing Altimeter Work Inside A Conical Shrouded Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the proposed build- the "Delta Clipper": which is a finless conical-shaped experimental craft from the 90's (I'm going to add some clear Lexan fins and a lot of nose cone weight). My thought was to essentially build a normal 4" dia. rocket, with a fiberglass conical shroud secured top (just below the nosecone) and bottom. The rocket will be about 60" tall with a conical base diameter of about 15". The rocket would contain a dual deploy baro-sensing altimeter, with the normal sampling port holes drilled into the altimeter bay. But of course the altimeter bay would be inside the conical shroud.

So- if several holes were drilled into the conical shroud, would that allow the altimeter to sample the baro pressure? If so, should I drill more holes and larger holes than the dimensions of the altimeter bay would normally call for?

I don't NEED do use dual deploy, but if I wanted to, I'd prefer not to send up a "doomed" craft if the consensus is that the baro-sensing altimeter wouldn't function properly.

Thanks!

Mike Momenee
TRA L3 #12430

In my opinion it will work perfectly fine but will overestimate altitude in proportion to its speed. However as the rocket nears apogee its will be sufficiently slowed to provide reasonably accurate apogee altitude readings.

I agree with jderimig. Won't necessarily give an accurate altitude curve, but apogee deploy should work fine.

Ditto. And the flow behind it may be turbulent enough that the readings on the way up won't be that far off, either.

Model your rocket in Rocksim by starting with a giant conical nosecone. Then add a body tube that's the length of tube that will stick out (for instance, 0.1 in). Then add an "inner tube" that's got a negative location up in your nosecone. Plus mass objects, etc.

Here's one with a J380 and 5 lbs of nose weight.

cone2.jpg

Back