Which HPR Chute: Sky Angle, Giant Leap, Rocketman?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyC2

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working on my level 2 project, and have not yet selected a chute. Having used my share of Top Flights and Spherachutes, I'd like to try something else. Not that there is anything wrong with the ones I've used (for many successful flights), but I'd like to use something higher performance (and more forgiving in case of mistakes) for my cert flight.

I've seen in previous posts that some in this forum prefer Rocket Rage HPR chutes, but I think their smallest (15lbs) is a bit too large. My project will come in around 11-12 lbs, and I don't want it to drift too far (motor deploy only for the cert flight); our club field is sod, so allows for a bit faster descents. Do people have opinions and/or preferences for a project this size between the following:
1) Sky Angle Classic 60"
2) Giant Leap TAC-1 60"
3) Rocketman R9C
4) Others?

Are there major differences between these that I should be aware of? Packing space is not much of an issue, with a 7.5" tube. While I like the look of the Sky Angle, it is quite a bit more expensive - is there any reason for this? It seems like the likelihood of shroud tangles is quite low with these options. Is there a difference between 3 lines for the Sky Angle, and 4 for the others? Is the extra strength (and weight) of the Sky Angle Classic II or TAC-1 really necessary? I'm thinking that even if I get the delay way off, the Classic chute is plenty strong to take the stress.

Thanks for any tips.

My advice is stick with Spherachutes if you have had good luck with them.

I've used the TAC chutes from GLR, they're nice but don't pack quite as small as others. Of course this wouldn't be an issue for you...Never had any tangles or failures of any sort, and the swivel provided w/ the chute works well.

I use Rocketman on all of my larger projects and have had great success. They pack small as well - if that becomes a concern on future projects.

But many of the folks at our club use skyangle.

Both are well made with their minimal number of shroud lines take a lot of work out of the recovery.

If you decide to go with Rocketman - Rocketwomen has a webstore on e-bay...good savings on the RM chutes.

Good Luck

Back