When using Open Rocket, which way does drawing point?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
When using Open Rocket, which way does drawing point?

I haven't found something in the way of directions on the website, there is a Users Guide Wiki being developed but it isn't fleshed out yet.

later,
Forrest

And it's saying "Warning Discontinuity in rocket body diameter" in lower right corner and I can not figure out why.

Other than put in catalog dimensions for Estes BT-60.
Inside dimension 1.595 inches
Outside dimension 1.637

Which would make a wall thickness of 0.042

But when I pulled up the body tube panel to edit it to fix it, the program keeps making the wall thickness 0.021 inches - and that math can not add up.

I'm lost.
Forrest

That is across the diameter of the tube which included two wall thicknesses.

Divide the 0.042 by the two, for the two walls and the tube wall thickness is 0.021

For the drawing, the nose of the rocket points to the left.

For the Discontinuity warning, what this usually means is that the base diameter of the nosecone is not the same as the outer diameter of the body tube beneath it.

For the wall thickness thing, those measurements are the tube *diameters*, not the *radius*. So OD minus ID will give you twice the wall thickness, since the wall is measured twice in the OD. I hope that makes sense...

Oh, and we *are* working on the OpenRocket documentation, I promise! ;)

Cheers,
Phil

For the wall thickness thing, those measurements are the tube *diameters*, not the *radius*. So OD minus ID will give you twice the wall thickness, since the wall is measured twice in the OD. I hope that makes sense...

That is across the diameter of the tube which included two wall thicknesses.
Divide the 0.042 by the two, for the two walls and the tube wall thickness is 0.021

"I shoulda had a V8" ? :bang: Don't mind me, I'm only 75.3314% here today.

Uhh, where are motor lists?
Will search forum to start with - it would be polite to put some effort in to finding things myself.

It's a lot easier to get started with an existing .rkt or .ork file to manipulate. Once you find your way around, you can build rockets from scratch. Unfortunately, while OR will read .rkt or .ork files, it will only write .ork files. So to get started find an .rkt file somewhere and open it with OR.

On the RHS go to "Motor configuration" "Edit configurations". Once there, make sure you have the proper motor tube checked on the LHS. Then click "New configuration". A new line will be added with "No motors" and "none". Double click on "none" to get a list of motors that fit your motor tube. Click on the one you want, select the delay on the RHS, and click "OK". A motor has now been loaded, and you may now proceed to "Flight simulations".

Thanks guys :) Here's where it is now.
Not having motor data files installed used Mass function to add weight of D-12 to motor mount area to see what CG would be.

Attachments

• Pointy Noser.jpg
    Pointy Noser.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
What it was that was throwing me was that the further from one end of the tube you got the numbers were negative and the other way they were positive.
My brain said logic dictates that positive numbers would be to the front; negative numbers would be behind the rocket.
Oh well, so much for my brain.

On the RHS go to "Motor configuration" "Edit configurations". Once there, make sure you have the proper motor tube checked on the LHS. Then click "New configuration". A new line will be added with "No motors" and "none". Double click on "none" to get a list of motors that fit your motor tube. Click on the one you want, select the delay on the RHS, and click "OK". A motor has now been loaded, and you may now proceed to "Flight simulations".
Okay, doing that now.

D12-7 gives Apogee of 660 feet: that's okay, it is nice to be able to see the thing.
Motor mount will take an E but E single use motors available in program are E6-P.
Here's a screen of where it is now.

Attachments

• PointyNoser_2.jpg
    PointyNoser_2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Not having motor data files installed used Mass function to add weight of D-12 to motor mount area to see what CG would be.

Don't do that...when you load a motor, the mass gets added and you will see the CG shift. If you use the mass function, you will be adding that weight twice.

Did remember to take mass out when adding motor.
Yeah, leaving it in there would be an issue that could break something.

Keep in mind that at that point I hadn't figured out how to add motors - today is first time using the program.

It took me hours to figure out how to add a motor. It's a good program, and very intuitive once you adjust your intuition.

Tell ya what, it is first "design something" program I've ever used and I'm really enjoying it :D

Latest posts

Back