What's up with SEVRA?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10fttall

Reaction score
Since I recently moved back to Virginia, I looked up SEVRA. The webpage has a notice that Fentress is unavailable indefinitely because of Navy requirements. Is this code for "The field is gone for good?" Is there another location or any future possibilities?

Since I recently moved back to Virginia, I looked up SEVRA. The webpage has a notice that Fentress is unavailable indefinitely because of Navy requirements. Is this code for "The field is gone for good?" Is there another location or any future possibilities?

Where are you at?

Check out our Facebook page for truly up to the minute info. We've experienced a change in leadership due to annual elections, and your best bet is our active group.

Fentress is not gone forever, hopefully we'll be reinstated on the Navy field soon. As in a few weeks or so soon. Leadership is sorting out the final requirements now.

I'm told that this is not the place to go into what happened, and I only have the info second hand (I wasn't there that weekend), but the latest updates are being posted as they happen on our Facebook group.

Either way, we have low power/mid power launches at smaller venues in Norfolk/VAB once in a while to keep the powder burned down a little! :)

Many of us are flying with some other clubs until we get a reinstatement on our primary High Power field. Until then, it's MDRA, Bayboro, and Battle Park, amongst others.

My house is in Suffolk, and I'm from Hampton Roads. Last time I lived around here, I visited a couple launches at Fentress before I had to move. It would be nice to have a place to go locally with other rocket people. I only have the chance once in a while though. I'll look at the Facebook group when I get an opportunity. I just can't do it from where I am now.

I'm a BAR this year, and only got to attend two SEVRA launches before the halt at Fentress. It's a group, like any other, with an active core and good fellowship. We've been doing some LP launches, but the school schedule (field usage) and our glorious weather might have put a halt to that for the season.

If you're into some travel (3ish hours drive each way), Battle Park opens this weekend and Bayboro launches again next weekend.

Do you have any launch vehicles?

I'm a BAR for many years, but sort of in limbo, moving every few years and always busy. I have a bunch of LPR models. I have built several MPR, mostly scratch, using SU and RMS.

I wish I could go to an out of town launch, but I have a long list of things to build for the house squeezed inbetween kids games and whatnot, for many Saturdays to come. Local would be the only possibility.

As Tom says, we had a shake-up with the Navy which revealed that we were not in-line with a Commander, Navy Installations Instruction from 2012. We are getting our documentation together and hope to get back to flying at Fentress before the end of the year.

Back