What tool for homemade CR's and bulkheads?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what the dimensions are for ID and OD for 3" and 4" centering rings? I wasn't sure if they made them oversized some or what. I wanted to turn out some for other club members, etc.

Michael

Anyone know what the dimensions are for ID and OD for 3" and 4" centering rings? I wasn't sure if they made them oversized some or what. I wanted to turn out some for other club members, etc.

Michael

Depends on whos tubing it is.

Gary I am getting ready to build this one.
https://www.solsylva.com/cnc/febbigtable12.jpg

That's the solsylva right? ... 'course it is, I see that now from the image link.

I'll soon be starting on a Joe's 4x4:
attachment.php

Gary

How big is your drill press; size & HP?
I bought mine from Sears about 10years ago & still does great work, it's a 10" with a 1/2 HP motor with a speed range of 500 to 3000 RPMs. It cuts up to 7.5" rings. The key on using a drill press with a fly cutter ( aka: circle & wheel cutter ) is the speed. Your top speed should be 500 RPMs.

DrillPress.jpg

JD

I have one and I hate it. I have a drill press and it simply does not have the torque for this attachment. I have difficulty cutting 1/4" plywood or Masonite rings, even when I cut half way through one side and then flip it over. Keep in mind, that the bigger the centering ring, the more torque you'll need.

for prototype rings and fins I goto A1centeringrings
or sometime use a so called Fly cutter in a drill press. I tried a circle cutter for a Rotozip , but it was a cheap plastic POS and failed. the rotozip was good for the job but no real support. So here my new savings moola project.

https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/CNCShark.aspx

they have a small one and a larger one call Pro, I'll try the small one first.
and it uses a Rotozip too!

I've been using a scroll saw & sandpaper all this time.
Now I see this circle cutter tool for my drill press, like homer says, "Whoo Hoo!" Next time I need centering rings, I'll be buying a circle cutter!

Back