What the heck are these?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
A frame from a metal detector review on YouTube where he was wondering the same thing I am. What the heck are these? Some kind of insect larva pods?

50707234306_1de528106a_o.jpg

Did you say you saw this pick in a Metal Detector review on YouTube?

Well then maybe they are the remains of a failed experiment by Monsanto to grow automotive ice studs for tires on genetically modified Oak trees up in the Iron Mountain range. The different sizes could indicate which size vehicles they are for.

I'm not saying that's what these are, but it could be.....in 2020 we can expect to see almost anything.

Brad

Found this,
Will thousands of oak leaf galls produce a mass invasion of wasps?
The red cone galls, also known as Hershey kiss galls, are thick on many oak trees throughout the Bay Area this year, but there’s no reason to worry.
DEAR LIZ: No need to buy protective clothing or barricade yourself indoors. The wasps that emerge from the galls are tiny, non-aggressive and live very short lives.

When most people hear the word “wasp,” they immediately conjure images of yellow jackets and hornets. But yellow jackets and gall wasps are very different. For one thing, they belong to different families. Yellow jackets are in the Vespidae family and gall wasps belong to the friendlier Cynipidae family.

The two most common are the oak apple galls, produced by Andricus californicus wasps, and the red cone galls, which look like tiny red Hershey’s kisses, produced by Andricus kingi.

I said the wasp produces the galls, but in reality, it’s the oak that produces them. Here’s what happens: One of these very small wasps bores a tiny hole in the tree bark or, more commonly, in a leaf or leaf bud. The wasp lays an egg inside and injects a chemical that starts the process. The egg then takes over, secreting hormones that hijack the gall’s genetic system and trick the oak into forming a gall. The egg is encapsulated by the gall chamber as the hard, outer surface forms.

When the larva is almost to maturity, it starts eating the inside of its home. It will then drill a tiny escape hole, emerging as an adult. Once on the outside, the cycle begins again, with wasps quickly laying eggs for the next generation before dying.

We are seeing a lot of red cones this year, probably brought on by the milder weather. Galls form both in the spring and autumn.

Staci Hobbet, a natural history docent for Mount Diablo State Park and a self-confessed gall nerd, is collecting data about red cone gall sightings and compiling information on this year’s bumper crop for the colorful galls. You can email pictures and information about galls in your area to [email protected].
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/11...-leaf-galls-produce-a-mass-invasion-of-wasps/

A frame from a metal detector review on YouTube where he was wondering the same thing I am. What the heck are these? Some kind of insect larva pods?

50707234306_1de528106a_o.jpg

Cue in Steve Martin way back when Saturday Night Live was actually funny, “what the heck is that.”

Cue in Steve Martin way back when Saturday Night Live was actually funny, “what the heck is that.”
"Oh, I know what that is!.................. What the heck is that?" So simple, but brilliant.

Back