West Systems Six10 vs. 105 w/ silica

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSteve

Reaction score
Anyone used the West Systems Six10 (in a caulk tube w/ a static mixer tip) vs. 105/206 and colloidal silica for fin fillets? (Or Proline, etc. for that matter.)
Any difference or are both similarly viscous & thixotropic (shear thinning when tooled).

Have used other two part epoxies w/mixers and caulk gun (masonry bonding) but don’t mind pumping/weighing & mixing for rockets if they handle/smooth out similarly.

Anyone used the West Systems Six10 (in a caulk tube w/ a static mixer tip) vs. 105/206 and colloidal silica for fin fillets? (Or Proline, etc. for that matter.)
Any difference or are both similarly viscous & thixotropic (shear thinning when tooled).

Have used other two part epoxies w/mixers and caulk gun (masonry bonding) but don’t mind pumping/weighing & mixing for rockets if they handle/smooth out similarly.
Braden did on his RocketVlogs Youtube channel.

Let's Get Some Stuff DONE! - YouTube

Six10 is 105with colloidal silica already mixed in .
I have been using West 105/205 for 20 years and is my go to or OG if you preferer . Proline handles higher temps and lays down a nicer fillet, but is much messier.

First off, I have not used the Six10 but if you choose to go the 105/206 route I have some advice. I've been using West Systems Epoxy and big syringes from the farm store since 1997. Up until four years ago when I found out about Hawk Epoxy. Same thing as West Systems but much cheaper. They even have a cross reference chart to west systems. You can buy it in a quart kit for under $60.
Just unboxed this kit which includes the resin. hardener, filler and the pumps. IMG_0118.jpg

Starting your TRF presence with a "glue thread" is a bold move...
As Wildman says: “Go big or go home!”

He also confirmed my suspicion it’s just regular WS + silica w/ a different dispenser system.

Was at Wildman’s last weekend.
Picked up 2 tubes of the Six10 and extra mixing tips. Will update when the fillets go on the Ultimate Punisher.

The advantage of Six10 vs 105 w/additives, is that Six10 will be consistently the same exact product, adding additives to 105 will create a similar product but the properties are not as repeatable nor has it been tested to specific characteristics. The "Caulk" tube every one is referring to is known as a uTah tube and is used in normal caulk gun. System 3 T88 comes in the same type packaging, unless using the whole tube I ditch the tip and squirt as much as I need in a cup and hand mix (it works and I can save the rest of the tube for later)

First off, I have not used the Six10 but if you choose to go the 105/206 route I have some advice. I've been using West Systems Epoxy and big syringes from the farm store since 1997. Up until four years ago when I found out about Hawk Epoxy. Same thing as West Systems but much cheaper. They even have a cross reference chart to west systems. You can buy it in a quart kit for under $60.
Just unboxed this kit which includes the resin. hardener, filler and the pumps. View attachment 511598
Interesting. Is it just one pump of each?

Back