WARNING! Be sure who you call for technical support!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanJ

Reaction score
BEWARE! "Global PC Cure" is a scam outfit posing as support for various providers and computer companies

DISTRIBUTE THIS WIDELY

DO NOT CALL 1 888 958 7518, or ANY OTHER number from a page with "globalpccure" in the domain.

My aunt had trouble with her AOL connection. She gave me what she thought was the AOL support number, which she had googled for.

When I called, there was no company introduction.

They IMMEDIATELY wanted me to turn on remote access. They were DESPERATE for me .to give them access. I hung up, and they CALLED BACK! "Global PC Cure" is a SCAM.

Again: Taking advantage of a Google search hack, they POSE AS YOUR PROVIDER'S TECH SUPPORT LINES!

It is NOT a search hack...it is a paid ad. It's highlighted as such.

Underneath the ads are legitimate search results.

Y'all be careful out there.

FC

Do be careful of a phishing scams that looks to be from PayPal or E-bay.
They want you to verify your info.
When in doubt visit the site in question in a separate window and NEVER use the e-mail hyperlink!

JD

be careful of websites offering free scans of your computer while the scan is in progress it installs
malware on your computer which the company then tells you their program has detected it and you need to purchase their program to remove the malware that THEY INSTALLED !!!!

Bobby

I highly recommend setting everyone you know up with opendns. Set your DNS ips to: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and you not only get reliable DNS servers but they block some of the malware and phishing sites. Oh yeah this is totally free. A lot of the time you have a "poor" internet connection it can be tied to DNS servers your ISP runs (I know that is absolutely the case with my ISP).

Also, for FREE you can sign up for their "home protection" that allows you to filter traffic based on category. I block, in addition to phishing and malware, domain squatting, domain typo and web spam. It has been great and I have not heard from my dad in over a year about cleaning up viruses and crap from his computer.

I don't work for OpenDNS I am just a happy user and thought i'd pass it along. It is a godsend for those of us who are the on call IT staff for our families.

I highly recommend setting everyone you know up with opendns. Set your DNS ips to: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and you not only get reliable DNS servers but they block some of the malware and phishing sites. Oh yeah this is totally free. A lot of the time you have a "poor" internet connection it can be tied to DNS servers your ISP runs (I know that is absolutely the case with my ISP).

Also, for FREE you can sign up for their "home protection" that allows you to filter traffic based on category. I block, in addition to phishing and malware, domain squatting, domain typo and web spam. It has been great and I have not heard from my dad in over a year about cleaning up viruses and crap from his computer.

I don't work for OpenDNS I am just a happy user and thought i'd pass it along. It is a godsend for those of us who are the on call IT staff for our families.

Dude, this is friggin GOLD for us 'family IT' guys! I did some research on OpenDNS after this post and I'm really surprised more people don't know about it... Thanks for the info!

FC

Sorry for the question, but is there a "how to" for this on the web?

Greg

Dude, this is friggin GOLD for us 'family IT' guys! I did some research on OpenDNS after this post and I'm really surprised more people don't know about it... Thanks for the info!

FC

My pleasure to help. Between that and a decent self-updating AV/Malware software install my calls are now just about problems with the printer!

Sorry for the question, but is there a "how to" for this on the web?

Greg

There is - if you go to their site and click on OpenDNS "For Home" (big orange button in the middle which brings you here: https://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/ ) that will explain how to set it up. There is "Premuim DNS" and "Parental Controls" for options. Premium gives you phishing protection, parental controls opens up a wide range of options to choose from.

They have some great tutorials on how to update your PC or router. i STRONGLY recommend setting this up on your home router - that covers everything which connects to the internet through that device, your PC, smartphones, game consoles, etc. They have great tutorials for each major router vendor in the instructions. If you have issues send me a PM and I can help sort it out.

Here is how to setup the "Premium DNS" (Without Parental Controls)
https://store.opendns.com/setup/

If you want more control over what you block choose the "Parental Controls". You have 3 options here: Home, Family Shield and VIP.

Family Shield is free and it is a "set it and forget it. It "auto blocks" the following: Adult websites, phishing sites and identity theft websites. https://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls#family

Home is where you can choose what you want to allow and block. You have to register an account so you can manage your settings. https://store.opendns.com/get/home-free

Home VIP is the same as home but without ads on the block pages. https://store.opendns.com/get/vip-home

I hope this helps you out! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Latest posts

Back