• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Vostok-1 R7 Paint color

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafgulch

Reaction score
Does anyone if there is a available paint that matches Testors Paint Model Master Enamel "Euro I Gray" Spray FS36081. I understand that this is the color that closest matches the actual Vostok-1. The Testors paint is discontinued.
Thanks.. Paul

I'm not a stickler for this so I would go with Rusto 2x Painter's Touch Satin Granite as being close enough, but YMMV.

Thank you Mike. I did find a hobby shop in my area that still had 2 spray can and one bottle of the Testors stuff. I have plans to enter my Vostok in competitio, so I am trying to be as accurate as I can.

FS 36081 Euro #1 Grey is the old name for what is now called FS 36081 Deep Grey. Check out Crosslink Paints. They will make it in a spray, a bottle, or a paint pen if you like. Plus they give you a DOM, DOEx, and a lot number so it's traceable if the judge questions it's authenticity.

Andrew

I used "Wolf Grey" from Montana. Very similar to Panzer Grey, used by AFV modellers. The US Olive Drab often suggested as Vostok colour scheme is incorrect.

Attachments

• 20240328_091001.jpg
    20240328_091001.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240328_091109.jpg
    20240328_091109.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 0
The actual color is a Soviet navy color that is blue grey. I have not been able to confirm but have been told by knowledgeable ship modelers that its a Baltic Blue. Moskova-class helo carriers were painted a similar color in the 70's. The old Euro Grey was not bad but lacks a blue tone. Also, it's entirely possible that the color has changed over time. For instance, there are only a few pictures of the Sputnik R-7 but even from a distance it is painted a noticeable lighter color than later R-7s. The Soyuz for the Apollo-Soyuz mission was painted white. There have been other commemorative paint jobs over the years. The amount of Russian Marker Red (Testors color) on the bottom of the first stage boosters has certainly changed over time.

I painted my Soyuz and Vostok Euro Grey and it has held up well over time. I do agree with Sotheby, the real things are most assuredly NOT OD green.

Here's an admittedly anecdotal take on this question. During the 2006 World Spacemodeling Championships participants were given the opportunity to tour highlights of the Baikonur Cosmodrome, and one of the stops was the facility where Soyuz components were stored and integrated. It was an unusual opportunity to inspect the booster parts up close, and settle the "grey or green?" question.

Guess what? Some saw grey, some saw green. The truth can probably be assessed only by an up close photometric analysis with one of those spiffy rigs that you find in graphics studios or auto body shops. My personal take is that the color is grey with a healthy dollop of green.

L1000245.jpeg
L1000243.jpeg
L1000241.jpeg

Back