Viewing Old Threads (POLLS)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I was about to start a poll on a subject until I decided to research and see if one had already been done. Sure enough, it was a 2007 thread. It was a 2 page read and I went to look at the poll results, and this popped up.

Gary Byrum, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

For crying out loud. It was a poll about canned SPAM. Wass up with that!?

It may have been from before TRF 2.0. The archive threads are all locked I believe.

It may have been from before TRF 2.0. The archive threads are all locked I believe.

Actually, the pre-crash files that were archived for static viewing, finally got merged "live" back into the active forum.

However, there seems to have been some data corruption (dating back to when the files were archived, not necessarily the merge back to the live forum). I recently looked at an old message I wrote which referenced two links in the forum. One of those links was good. The other link took me to a thread that had nothing at all to do with the original, and I knew the original thread message quite well.

Also, IIRC, I think I have run into a case where a linked-to pre-crash thread produced the same sort of message Gary got (though this was for a message thread and not a poll result). But it was not the kind of thread that would have ever gotten deleted or locked. So, I figure data corruption. I do not know much about restoring corrupted forum data files, but I do know enough to appreciate that a very high percentage was salvaged and restored.

Over on the Kerbal Space Program forum in 2013, they had a forum crash that wiped out months and months of forum postings. The guy paid to be in charge of the forum website got fired for not backing it up properly and letting the site get buggy before the big crash (the bugginess were symptoms of major problems, and a huge hint to archive the site just in case).

Last edited:
Well, I reckon this is starting to address my visit to that thread. Funny, I don't remember when it was, or what, but this is not the first time I have gotten this same pop-up.

Well, I reckon this is starting to address my visit to that thread. Funny, I don't remember when it was, or what, but this is not the first time I have gotten this same pop-up.
That is the same message that comes up anytime a message is no longer available.

It is a bit odd that it happened when you tried to get the poll results.

But then again, if the poll results got corrupted.....bingo....

"But I don't like Spam...."

Well, someone had to do it.

ME EITHER! No matter which kind. When I was a kid, it was delightful. Just like a can of SpaghettiO's. YUCK! I don't even know how or why I liked those things. The promotionals are often anymore. Maybe they're feeling the pressure like so many other canned junk food producers and junk fast food joints are dealing with anymore. Focus on healthy food from the public, seems to be hurting a lot of these kinds of industries. All the better, I say. FRAK SPAM!

Back