Using Table Top Epoxy Over Deep Pour/Casting Epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanhickok33

Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I have a table project going on with an 8’ X 4’ sheet of plywood, with about 15/16” height trim along the perimeter of the plywood sheet. I have glued, sealed, and placed a variety of chew cans (590 to be exact) which obviously takes up a lot of the volume. For my first pour, I used 2” deep pour/casting resin (https://magicresin.com/collections/all-products/products/75-gallon-2-85-l-2-deep-pour-casting-art-clear-epoxy-resin-kit-free-shipping ) which has seemed to work just fine (it is currently about halfway through the process of curing). The only issue is that I was planning to do only one pour, where I would pour enough resin that it would settle about 1/16” above the trim. It turns out that I did not purchase enough resin to do only one pour. With the amount that I used (4.5 Gallons), the resin is either dead even with the top of the trim, or in some cases, just below the top of the trim. So, I obviously need to pour an additional pour to be able to achieve my desired thickness of 1/16” above my trim. This is where my questions arrives…I have table top epoxy (https://www.theepoxyresinstore.com/...-clear-epoxy-resin-tabletops-bars-woodcrafter) that I could use for this second pour, however since I am a rookie, can someone clarify for me/let me know if I can pour table top epoxy over my 2” deep pour/casting epoxy?

I am planning on waiting until the casting epoxy is fully cured, and then I would sand the casting resin, and pour the table top epoxy on top to be able to achieve my desired thickness, but again, if this something that I’m able to do? I guess the only reason I initially thought that this may cause problems is because they are not only two different brands but they are two different kinds of epoxy (one is casting/deep pour and the other is table top as mentioned). Any comments, questions, tips/tricks for this would be greatly appreciated.

Hey y’all,

I have a table project going on with an 8’ X 4’ sheet of plywood, with about 15/16” height trim along the perimeter of the plywood sheet. I have glued, sealed, and placed a variety of chew cans (590 to be exact) which obviously takes up a lot of the volume. For my first pour, I used 2” deep pour/casting resin (https://magicresin.com/collections/all-products/products/75-gallon-2-85-l-2-deep-pour-casting-art-clear-epoxy-resin-kit-free-shipping ) which has seemed to work just fine (it is currently about halfway through the process of curing). The only issue is that I was planning to do only one pour, where I would pour enough resin that it would settle about 1/16” above the trim. It turns out that I did not purchase enough resin to do only one pour. With the amount that I used (4.5 Gallons), the resin is either dead even with the top of the trim, or in some cases, just below the top of the trim. So, I obviously need to pour an additional pour to be able to achieve my desired thickness of 1/16” above my trim. This is where my questions arrives…I have table top epoxy (https://www.theepoxyresinstore.com/...-clear-epoxy-resin-tabletops-bars-woodcrafter) that I could use for this second pour, however since I am a rookie, can someone clarify for me/let me know if I can pour table top epoxy over my 2” deep pour/casting epoxy?

I am planning on waiting until the casting epoxy is fully cured, and then I would sand the casting resin, and pour the table top epoxy on top to be able to achieve my desired thickness, but again, if this something that I’m able to do? I guess the only reason I initially thought that this may cause problems is because they are not only two different brands but they are two different kinds of epoxy (one is casting/deep pour and the other is table top as mentioned). Any comments, questions, tips/tricks for this would be greatly appreciated.
First, I’m not experienced in either type of epoxy, so my input should only be considered as part of a discussion rather than actual advice.
The epoxies I’m experienced in using are laminating epoxies. If you want to add a second layer, doing so before full cure (24 hours for the Aeropoxy I have used and the West Systems I have now) usually results in cross-linking, where the second layer is bonded chemically not just mechanically to the first. That does not require sanding to enhance the bond.
Second, I would hesitate to use two different epoxies without having done a test first or better yet consulted with the manufacturers of the two epoxies and compared the MSDS for each to make sure they use the same resins and hardeners.
Why are you even tempted to do this using different epoxies? A friend of mine just did a gorgeous table using the deep pour epoxy. It turned out fantastic. Because of the very slow cure time it doesn’t cook off, like many faster cure time epoxies.

Hey y’all,

I suggest doing a trial on a corner of the table. Epoxies are usually compatible with one another--epoxy resins are chemically very similar, though the hardeners vary widely-- so I wouldn't expect crazing or similar problems. However, when doing the trial, sand a spot on the cured epoxy and see whether the tabletop epoxy fills the sanding marks.

If the marks are still visible...sanding *may* not be necessary at all. The deep-pour epoxy may have left an "amine blush" surface that resists bonding---lots of epoxies do this---but that comes off with a damp sponge. In any event the table isn't going to fly at a couple hundred mph ;) so the strength of the bond to the underlying epoxy isn't terribly critical.

Best,
Terry

Hey y’all,

Can't say specifically for your case, but maybe this will help . . .

MAS's FAQ on their website says for their products, yes (and has some other great info as well):

https://masepoxies.com/faq/
Can you make an epoxy resin river table with MAS Tabletop Pro?

The max thickness MAS Table Top Pro should be applied is 1/8-1/4” per layer. We typically recommend using MAS Deep Pour epoxy for river tables where you can pour large amounts of epoxy up to 0.5-1” thick, and then using MAS Table Top Pro as the top coat. However, thicker coats and castings of Table Top Pro can be achieved by step pouring multiple layers. Each layer MUST be allowed to cool to room temperature (70-80°F) before adding additional layers. Use caution for very large pours. Pouring too thick and layering too quickly could cause the curing epoxy to heat up, yellow, distort or crack.

Hey y’all,

I know this is a little old, but I found myself in a similar situation tonight. Did you end up attempting this, if so how did it go?

Back