Using Basswood

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have purchased a piece of basswood from Michael's craft store. It is 1/8 thick 4" wide and 36" long. Does this make a good fin material for LPR?

I like the rigidity it has. But am leary of the usefulness.

It should be fine - make sure the grain direction is correct, and it will be stronger than balsa.

Basswood is awesome!

It's often overkill for LPR but works very well when you have a large fin area or fins that experience greater than usual stresses.

I've used 1/8" basswood for fins on a cloned Gyroc and for a bash of a Fliskits Rhino that I fly on an F21.

It's a little tougher to cut than balsa, but take your time and make several cuts, each successively deeper, and you'll get through it.

-- Jim

1/8" is a bit thick, I usually use 3/32" in place of 1/8" balsa. 1/16" and 1/32" for micros. sometime spliting them for really thin stuff.
as someone mentioned already Basswood is considerably stronger, denser, a bit heavier and more durable than Balsa. I rarely use balsa for fins anymore on ANY size model. and Prefer Basswood for turning nosecones and transitions as well. Finishing is also easier with Basswood, with it's tighter grain, it takes far less primer to fill the grain completely.
Hope this helps.

Back