USB Flash Drive Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rebel,

that video looks great! the wobble seems to be gone. did you change anything?

cwg,

I tried to mount an 808 camera in a transition similar to what you are attempting to do, but I couldn't get it positioned correctly to make the video worthwhile. I ended up cutting a huge hole in the tapered part but it still encroached no matter what angle I put the camera at.

I'm sure it can be done, but I gave up and resorted back to taping it on the the side with electrical tape. That is a proven method that works for me and produces the best videos without resorting to cutting massive holes in the airframe.

nope, but I imagine that me not swinging/rocking the camera back and forth as I walk around helps. :)

interesting. I may have to pick up one of those cameras now. too bad it isn't hd, though.

yeah, it's not a simple, slap-it-together thing as the sensor/lens assy is offset from the center of the mainboard.
the hole i cut is in a normal airframe, so it's not in a transition; that said, i have a bunch of tubes sittin' around, so i'm not too worried about wasting a 2' section.
(what don't have is a bunch of couplers, which would have made this a lot easier.)

if i can remember when i get home after work, i'll try to get a shot of the 8mm camera payload i have in the garage.
it is really massive, something i'm trying to avoid. i'm hoping to go for good altitude in a 3" airframe.

if i can save some up some money(instead of buying bike parts) i'll be looking at 38mm airframe kits to mod for a cam rocket.

cwg,

I tried to mount an 808 camera in a transition similar to what you are attempting to do, but I couldn't get it positioned correctly to make the video worthwhile. I ended up cutting a huge hole in the tapered part but it still encroached no matter what angle I put the camera at.

I'm sure it can be done, but I gave up and resorted back to taping it on the the side with electrical tape. That is a proven method that works for me and produces the best videos without resorting to cutting massive holes in the airframe.

so here's how it looks so far; i have the mainboard screwed to a basswood spar because the SMT components are all different heights preventing me from using a piece of hobby plywood. i expect the basswood will break if it lands moderately hard, so i'm considering packing the payload section with bubblewrap. the 3AAA holder is also screwed to the basswood spar.

it took me about 2 hours to remember how to de-solder and resolder the leads of the old and new ribbon cables, even though i realized that the tip of the borrowed soldering iron was the 'normal' size, not the micro size. anyway, these things are hard enough to work on when you have so little time and supplies, let alone a nearly-20-year break from rocketry in general.
rocket-video-cam.02.JPGrocket-video-cam.01.JPG

my search for the perfect water bottle to use as a window will continue, as one of y'all noted, water bottles aren't exactly optical grade, so i'll have to see how bad it really is.

All did NOT go well today. The launch site started out foggy this morning, and it never really burned off, so we were facing an incredibly low visible ceiling pretty much all day. Things finally started clearing up about 30 minutes before our launch waiver was closing, and we were able to launch some mid-power. I only had time to send up one rocket. This flight was the last one of the day. I'm uploading the video now, and it should be visible here soon.

Gotta love a purple Crayon! Nice video! At one point it looked like it was aiming for the creek.

AND that listing appears to include 8gb storage too... HMM, tempting.

yeah, I noticed that too. there is a seller selling one with a 4gb card for about $31. that seemed like a better deal.

I already have a 32gb card. I wonder if I can find one that is camera only (like the original listing on this thread.)
I 'll have to look around later - I don't have time right now.

yah, looks a bit less cumbersome than my hacked-up vivitar. while i am disappointed that i only got an empty AVI file, the flight was perfect as usual, with recovery within 200' of the pad. i'm guessing that the components and my assembly weren't up to the rigors of a G80T kick-in-the-pants lift-off. running 4.5V is tricky if you need to use the LCD(for the backlight i'd guess.)

your linky is for the "long" lens, i think i'd prefer this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-18-15...AU_Home_Personal_Security&hash=item2326503e3e

it has what looks to be a wide-angle lens. i really, really like that the sensor is on a ribbon, not soldered to the mainboard.

looks like the drop-frame rate is pretty high(>18%) compared to the #16(<10%), according to Chuck Lohr's website.

according to chuck lohr, the #18 has a higher drop-frame rate than the #16. that said, the length of the ribbon cable of the #18 means it's easier to mount and aim.
i'm ok with some simple soldering, but i'm not sure i could work on that kind of ribbon without ruining it. i wonder if there are ribbon extenders available...

Gah, I can't find my manual/driver disc. Can someone who bought one of these remind me how to set the time/date. I remember that I need to stick a text file on the root of the storage device and then turn it on, but I don't remember the filename/format conventions.

-RB

To set the time correctly:

-Connect the USB camera to your computer via USB cable
-Create an time.txt file at the root of the removable disk, type the one line of text in this blank file just like below:
2012-01-01 12:00:00
Save the file and quit.
-Unplug camera from computer.
-Turn on the camera, and then turn off the camera. When you do this the USB camera reads the time.txt file, sets the time/date on the camera according to what you typed in the file, and then erases the time.txt file.

View attachment User Manual for USB Flash Driver Camera U10.doc

Thanks, Salvage-1! That is exactly what I was looking for.

I still had the disc in the CD drive from when the packages came... so much is now delivered digitally or USB stick that things stay in there months sometimes.

Back