Ultrasonic Cleaner for Motor /Closures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTank

Reaction score
Anyone else using an ultrasonic cleaner/ultrasonic bath to clean their RMS cases and closures? I bought one that will fit up to a 54/1706 case and closures through 98mm and have had great results, but have only used it a few times. I have been using a mix of heated white vinegar and water. Closures are as clean as they have ever been including the threads that required no effort to get the residue and lube out of them. Anyone out there been using one for a period of time? What's your preferred cleaning solution? Any noted impacts on the anodizing or rubs/wear from metal to metal contact?

This is a great idea! I have an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning resin 3D prints, but I never thought to use it for cleaning closures.

I would not use vinegar. It's acidic. Acid attacks the anodizing on the aluminum. In a past life, I had many, many customers unhappy when the dealer sprayed their wheels with acid to get the brake dust off and it ruined the anodizing on very expensive parts. Anodizing is impervious to pretty much any hydrocarbon solvent, but has very little resistance to acids.

I would not use vinegar. It's acidic. Acid attacks the anodizing on the aluminum. In a past life, I had many, many customers unhappy when the dealer sprayed their wheels with acid to get the brake dust off and it ruined the anodizing on very expensive parts. Anodizing is impervious to pretty much any hydrocarbon solvent, but has very little resistance to acids.
I've actually been using white vinegar for just that reason at the recommendation of Aerotech for years now without any issue. I've found it cleans better than most other things. My only potential concern is the addition of the Ultrasonic to the mix. Ill have to keep an eye on that. Thanks for the heads up!

I used to sell Branson ultrasonics for the jewelry industry. One piece of advice would be too get a basket for parts to keep them off the bottom of the tank. It will shorten the life of the transducers to have objects resting on the bottom. We always used dish detergent and water. Just avoid flammable liquids.
They're definitely the way to go to get into all the tiny spaces. Wherever the liquid can go the cleaning action goes.

Anyone else using an ultrasonic cleaner/ultrasonic bath to clean their RMS cases and closures? I bought one that will fit up to a 54/1706 case and closures through 98mm and have had great results, but have only used it a few times. I have been using a mix of heated white vinegar and water. Closures are as clean as they have ever been including the threads that required no effort to get the residue and lube out of them. Anyone out there been using one for a period of time? What's your preferred cleaning solution? Any noted impacts on the anodizing or rubs/wear from metal to metal contact?
I’ve been using an ultrasonic cleaner for several years now to clean motor components, tether links, etc. I’ve also been using white vinegar without any noticeable effects on the anodised parts. Using a basket is preferable.

I used to sell Branson ultrasonics for the jewelry industry. One piece of advice would be too get a basket for parts to keep them off the bottom of the tank. It will shorten the life of the transducers to have objects resting on the bottom. We always used dish detergent and water. Just avoid flammable liquids.
They're definitely the way to go to get into all the tiny spaces. Wherever the liquid can go the cleaning action goes.
Mine has a suspended basket. It mentions to not put anything in it without the basket.

Last edited:
I drop mine in a jar of white vinegar and let them soak overnight. Then I use a tooth brush and dish soap to clean them up and rinse off with water. Easy peasy.

I have also been using a heated ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of dish detergent as well. It does work, and I haven't observed any damage to closures yet. However, my new found favorite is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It can take off stubborn deposits with little effort and doesn't seem to harm anodization. In the past, I have removed the anodization and had mild aluminum corrosion on 24/40 cases with white vinegar for TARC motors, but this was after many, many cleanings. I won't use vinegar on any high power casings.

I've been using a heated ultrasonic bath with diluted simple green crystal for years. It takes about 10 minutes to get the cases and closures looking brand new.

The solution has a ph >7.0.

Zero effect on the anodizing that i can tell.
I think I am going to try Simple Green next to see how it compares to the white vinegar. I had read other articles about it working great for other applications (Carburetor cleaning, jewelry, etc).

Back