Ugh...it's too hot to work...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was hot and humid again today here, once again inducing a languid state of affairs build wise, but I got the motor mounting bracket cut, bent and drilled for my lathe nonetheless. Also finished the wheel well plastic repair on my vehicle, and it actually turned out very nice, but it is too dark to take any pictures now.
The motor mount just needs primer now, as nearly all lathe components will will be primer grey.
I did not sit around in-spite of the heat, and went places and did things in the air-conditioned comfort of my vehicle.
It finally started to rain at around 6, so I went out and continued the inspection of my new vehicle, and then the UPS guy showed up with my Covercraft LeBra Front End Cover, so in-spite of the directions to not get it wet, I decided it is going on and staying on, and it only took 15 minutes to figure out and get on. The box says "All-Weather Protection" and it was only $71 on Amazon, so if it lasts for more than a few months I'll gladly replace it.

Jeez! Folks still have not stopped shooting off fireworks displays!!! It's three days later, and there's another at home fireworks show going on right now up the road. It started on the 1st, so that's been 7 days of continuous displays as soon as it gets dark.:facepalm:
I love fireworks too, but holy crap, my neighbors and fellow townsfolk must REALLY love them. :facepalm:
It does'nt help that the fireworks store is only 15-20 minutes away, and they do a bunch of sales like buy one get two free.

I hear ya, TopRamen- we had some fireworks going off near us nearly nightly, but mostly little stuff. What I miss most in your post is actually the rain- out here in the Sonoran desert we get a few weeks of it, typically starting around July 4. Came a bit early this year, and has dried out considerably. Favorite thing to do is open the garage door and watch and listen to it pour down when it comes. Any other desert rats here with me? kweaver? Terryg?

Our club had to stand down todays launch due to the sod farm being to dry and they need to mow and water the field. Bummer

Any other desert rats here with me? kweaver? Terryg?

Yep, it has been to hot to do much of anything. I do builds and repairs in the house and get up early to paint at dawn (so it stands a chance of reaching the rocket before it dries). It certainly speeds up epoxy and paint cure times. We are one of the few clubs (SARA) that launches year round. June's launch was not bad temp wise since we start and close the range earlier in the summer. The monsoon season gives a welcome break from the intense heat of direct sunlight.

A few years ago I was talking to a Florida flyer, he was saying they could not launch due to the drought index. I asked when it rained last and how the index was calculated. It had rained the previous day, and was based on temp and humidity. I told him we were launching at 105 degrees and it had not rained in 110 days, and we were launching sparky motors!
The thing is it had not rained in so long the weeds dried up and blew away so we were on square miles of bare dirt.

Just mindless whining here, but does anyone else ever feel their excitement and enthusiasm for this (or any) hobby sap away from them when the workshop gets impossibly hot? We bought our house because it has a three-car garage set-up- one double door, and a single door at 90 degrees to the first. That single bay is my "shop", with three uninsulated external walls, with the fourth being the roll-up. I have things I want to do, but can't bring myself to stand out there when it's 130 degrees inside.
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully moderated the temperature in a hot garage? Does blown-in insulation help, and if I glue styrofoam panels to the door? I don't have active cooling, so I think it will not help...trying to come up with a way of cooling the space economically and aesthetically pleasing- the shop is right in front of the driveway. Maybe I'm just being a baby :sigh:
7 years later, still hot?

7 years later, still hot?
Ha! Even hotter here! We were 110 again Friday, 3rd time this year. This happens very infrequently throughout history, I posted the statistics in another thread before we got to this point.

I'm not real sensitive to heat, I've spent a lot of time outside and I can tolerate it pretty well, but I don't like to go out in my garage and work in the heat. I decided to start my next few builds and I've been out in the garage an hour or two a day for the past few days. Our hot weather will end/reduce/take a break next week so I'm ready to get some building done.

That house plan with 2 car garage plus another 1 car garage looks amazing to me. I only get about 1/4 of a 2 car garage for my little workshop.

Back