Tubing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I have gotten a tube from a friend that came out of a roll of fabric. The tube measures 2.980" OD and 1.780 ID with a wall thickness of .105". Will this make a good body tube for a MPR?

Double check your measurements. Something does not add up.

It is hard to tell if it will work for Mid power.
Thickness does not always equal strength.

I would think yes, it would work, but that is a guess.

Edit...I won't be using this tube...The measurements aren't the same all the way around the tube. This is scrap...

Originally posted by bigone5500
Edit...I won't be using this tube...The measurements aren't the same all the way around the tube. This is scrap...

I wouldn't be so quick to throw it out. Anything close to a common diameter, i.e., 2", 2.5", 3", 4", etc. I keep around. I have found these tubes useful in making an altimeter assembly to slide into a payload bay. Just paint them with epoxy, sand and you have a strong sub-assembly that can be inserted/interchanged between rockets of similar payload bay diameter. Sounds like the one you have would fit nicely in a 3" rocket.

-Tim

Originally posted by dixontj93060
I wouldn't be so quick to throw it out. Anything close to a common diameter, i.e., 2", 2.5", 3", 4", etc. I keep around. I have found these tubes useful in making an altimeter assembly to slide into a payload bay. Just paint them with epoxy, sand and you have a strong sub-assembly that can be inserted/interchanged between rockets of similar payload bay diameter. Sounds like the one you have would fit nicely in a 3" rocket.

-Tim

Thanks Tim. Great Idea. The largest dia. I have is an Estes Big Daddy. I piddle mainly with LPR but hope to be able to go with some MPR soon. The only drawback is I don't have a club nearby to join and to my understanding I need to have a L1 to launch some MPR rockets.

A 3 or 4" rocket is so enticing...:D

Do you mean it's bigger at one end than the other? If it's straight, keep building the rocket. The nose cone only has to fit the top end.

Back