Tube Legnth, Whatchya Think?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Given the overall fin length, I'm not sure if this is tube would be longer than 18 inches. After the fins are added it would leave a little over six inches. I haven't tried this in Rocksim yet, just wanted get some feedback.

Thanks
Steve
falconplan.jpg

Attachments

• falcon plan.jpg
    falcon plan.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 71
Estes part numbers usually had a letter suffix it the tube was not 18". e.g BT-60 was 18", BT-60AD was 14", BT-60K was 7".

Well, it's a plain BT-60 which would be 18 inches, but from the diagram it would seem to indicate that it would be longer considering the overall length of the rear fins and the addition forward fins. I guess I should just build a Rocksim version to see which is the most likely length.

far as I know Estes didn't make any Bt60 tubes longer than 18" and since there is no tube coupler listed on the parts list(not to mention, that TLAR agrees)...I'd say that 18" is most likely.
out of curiosity where did you dig up this plan set?
Rex

I checked on the BT length for the BT-55 Aaardvark Falcon. Scaling it up to BT-60 gives a 17.2" tube length. This was a quick calculation so don't take the length as gospel, but it does indicate that an 18" BT-60 is pretty close. Unless you enter it in a scale contest, it should be close enough. YMMV

No, it won't be entered into anything for scale. Okay, I can live with this. Thanks for all the input guys!
Steve

thanks much. looks like one can get most of the parts from a big bertha(except fins).
Rex

looks like one can get most of the parts from a big bertha(except fins).
Rex

D'aaaah Dude! I was going to be a purist about this and sand down the nose cone to the proper shape. Now knowing this I'll be tempted to use the Bertha nose cone.:lol:
Good to know. If I wreck the other, I have a Bertha I can scrap. :wink: Never paid attention which nose cone the Bertha used. HA!

Thanks for the link Roy, in looking at some of those, there isn't that much distance between the fore and aft fins...Then I forgot what I was there for after I scrolled to the girl in the garter belt standing in front of the Valkyrie. :pop: You'll note I kept enough of my faculties to identify the aircraft.

Hmm... I have a "junk" Bertha that I "inherited" from someone exiting the hobby. Since the fins are a wreck, I could just shave them off and replace them with Falcon fins (I'd go for a more scale look than that Estes plan).

Then I'll just sit back and tally up how many people say, "Hey man, nice looking Phoenix! Why'd you paint it orange?"

Back