Tripoli Reno 08/16

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Anyone going to Tripoli Reno on Sunday? That may be my answer to the cancelled TCC launch.

Good flights, great time! I think my K360 was the largest of the day -
nMyJliM.png

Dave, I think it was, with a LOC Onyx on H128 for L1 after coming back to the hobby -
HflC6pN.png

There was also a gorgeous redline burn on a dual deploy Frenzy that a complete failed to capture, and Ari checked in with another great glider flight.

Nice photos! Eric, do you know what the waiver is for the Reno launch?

Ari.

Seemingly unnecessary no L rule? How about not being able to meet minimum distance to pad rules; How about proximity to highway and houses? Two launches ago a member had his 4" dia. J motor propelled rocket cross the highway and land somewhere amongst the houses; he never found it. There's a homeowner over there that complains about the noise at the launch site; he complains to the landowner and the landowner has two men who fly remote control planes at the site regulating our activities. This site is walking on egg shells and needs to be careful in order to keep the site.

Oh, and watch what dust you kick up.

Hi I am John Jamieson, Met you at the launch on the 18th. Have sent you a friend request. Would like to follow your level 3 cert. This was intended for Watermelonman, but would like to stay in touch with all that were there.

Last edited:
Wow Great Pics! Mine was the LOC ONYX and it was a L-1 cert. I did enjoy this launch and meeting everyone. Please stay in touch. Hoping to do a L-2 at NCR Oktoberfest in Colorado. I used to be L-2 But now re-certifying after being gone for awhile. Thanks for posting the pic! I enjoyed meeting everyone and hope to make it to Balls next year.

Seemingly unnecessary no L rule? How about not being able to meet minimum distance to pad rules; How about proximity to highway and houses? Two launches ago a member had his 4" dia. J motor propelled rocket cross the highway and land somewhere amongst the houses; he never found it. There's a homeowner over there that complains about the noise at the launch site; he complains to the landowner and the landowner has two men who fly remote control planes at the site regulating our activities. This site is walking on egg shells and needs to be careful in order to keep the site.

Sorry if I brought it up the wrong way. Someone had mentioned they fly low and slow, and was bummed about the K limit. I thought, hey, yes, why not open up all L2 as long as the waiver is respected. Myself, I will probably not even fly K there as half of my J flights would bust that waiver. I like fast and high.

Hopefully I did not make too much dust there, or noise here.

Hi I am John Jamieson, Met you at the launch on the 18th. Have sent you a friend request. Would like to follow your level 3 cert. This was intended for Watermelonman, but would like to stay in touch with all that were there.

Awesome, so glad I enticed you to join! This is a great resource, helping me from my first return to low power all the way up to the current L3 build in what seems like no time at all. Sorry I mangled your name, tough when you meet so many new folks at the same time. I have not posted a proper build thread for my current project but have some discussion here -
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?127370-plunging-into-a-new-project

You know, it would help if you put this on the website. Personnel distances are a serious consideration--both legally and in terms of safety--but not obvious. In fact, this is the first field where I've flown where this puts a limit on motor sizes. You may also want to put waiver altitude information on the site.

I notice that if I explain the rules to people up front, I spend a lot less energy enforcing them afterwards.

In any case, I'm super happy that this field exists, and I'm glad I finally got to fly there, and I hope that neighbor relations continue to improve. Thank you for keeping it up!

Ari.

You guys need to do what ever it takes to keep your launch site. If someone doesn't like your launch site rules they need to find another launch site. Its getting harder all the time to find and keep a launch site.

Have Fun Fly Safe

I'm not one of the leaders of the group and I agree with you that they need to make things clearer to people to make things easier. My experience with the people who are watching our activities is limited to June when I showed up an hour early and had to listen to these men and their ideas as to what we should and shouldn't be doing. It was maddening to listen to them while keeping my mouth shut for fear of angering them and perhaps coloring their views of the group. They were clearly more interested in their activity of flying remote planes and how our activities affected them. They decided where our flight line would be set up that day before any of the club officers showed up. Since they were directly connected to the landowner and I was not.

Watermelon man, you didn't raise any dust, or noise, you only touched on my frustration with these men who have some control over the use of this launch site. I would love to stuff those two gentlemen down a hole and cover the hole with playa dust.

You know, it would help if you put this on the website. Personnel distances are a serious consideration--both legally and in terms of safety--but not obvious. In fact, this is the first field where I've flown where this puts a limit on motor sizes. You may also want to put waiver altitude information on the site.

I notice that if I explain the rules to people up front, I spend a lot less energy enforcing them afterwards.

In any case, I'm super happy that this field exists, and I'm glad I finally got to fly there, and I hope that neighbor relations continue to improve. Thank you for keeping it up!

Ari.

Just received the newsletter with news from the Aug. 16 launch. The group is being blamed for leaving the gate to White Lake open and has been given new additional instructions. We now have to provide a gate guard the entire day to keep the gate closed as people enter and exit the lake bed. There's other rules, but they're mitigated by keeping a gate guard so any cows don't get out.

I would suggest checking the TRAR website. September's launch is cancelled due to XPRS at Black Rock.

Just received the newsletter with news from the Aug. 16 launch. The group is being blamed for leaving the gate to White Lake open and has been given new additional instructions. We now have to provide a gate guard the entire day to keep the gate closed as people enter and exit the lake bed. There's other rules, but they're mitigated by keeping a gate guard so any cows don't get out.

I would suggest checking the TRAR website. September's launch is cancelled due to XPRS at Black Rock.

Crud, that is a bummer about the gate. I will do what I can to help out next time I am out that way.

September, well there are plenty of launches to attend.

Latest posts

Back