TOS Star Trek AMT Model and her sisters.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I had one of the original ST models that had a light kit and took two AA batteries to light up the hull and the bussard collectors(ramscoops)aka(nacelles).
I got it in 1969 when ST was in reruns for the summer from 8:30 to 9:30 pm. My Dad helped me build it even though he hated watching the show. I had the ST PJ's (Gold top, black bottoms), my brother had the Blue top, black bottoms) I wanted the blue, my brother wanted the gold, we switched halfway through the summer. It goes to show how much my folks paid attention. Anyway, the model had gone through a few modifications since my next model of the Enterprise. The next one had a choice of other makes such as the Constellation, Exeter, Hood, ect... As I remember, there were 12 Constitution Class Starships in the fleet. If Enterprise is N.C.C. 1701, Constitution should be N.C.C. 1700. The decal sheet shows 14 different names, who decided them? Why the other names?
Gawad, am I a ST geek!

Gawd those were the days. Playing ST with friends, man landed on the moon. Sun burns and skinned knees, I can smell the fresh cut grass now, (aaachooo).

I had one of the original ST models that had a light kit and took two AA batteries to light up the hull and the bussard collectors(ramscoops)aka(nacelles).
I got it in 1969 when ST was in reruns for the summer from 8:30 to 9:30 pm. My Dad helped me build it even though he hated watching the show. I had the ST PJ's (Gold top, black bottoms), my brother had the Blue top, black bottoms) I wanted the blue, my brother wanted the gold, we switched halfway through the summer. It goes to show how much my folks paid attention. Anyway, the model had gone through a few modifications since my next model of the Enterprise. The next one had a choice of other makes such as the Constellation, Exeter, Hood, ect... As I remember, there were 12 Constitution Class Starships in the fleet. If Enterprise is N.C.C. 1701, Constitution should be N.C.C. 1700. The decal sheet shows 14 different names, who decided them? Why the other names?
Gawad, am I a ST geek!

Roddenberry named all twelve - and several of those appeared or were mentioned in the three year run of the series. Some of these were the Constitution, Exeter, Constellation, Valiant, Hood and Potemkin. I'm blanking on the others. They were all listed in "The Making of Star Trek". You can also find the full list and the episodes they were featured in on Memory Alpha.

Roddenberry named all twelve - and several of those appeared or were mentioned in the three year run of the series. Some of these were the Constitution, Exeter, Constellation, Valiant, Hood and Potemkin. I'm blanking on the others. They were all listed in "The Making of Star Trek". You can also find the full list and the episodes they were featured in on Memory Alpha.

Thanks, I forgot about TMOST book. I still want to know where the other two names came from on the decal sheet?
Here is the decal sheet I forgot to post.

https://culttvman.com/main/?p=3697

Probably the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. I'd have to dig up my copy to see... What's funny is that many TOS Enterprise modellers, in the days before inkjet printers and the like, preferred the Estes Enterprise decal set over the AMT offering. Starlog publications' 'Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy' recommended using the Estes decals and sensor dish over their poorly detailed AMT counterparts.

Probably the Franz Joseph Technical Manual. I'd have to dig up my copy to see... What's funny is that many TOS Enterprise modellers, in the days before inkjet printers and the like, preferred the Estes Enterprise decal set over the AMT offering. Starlog publications' 'Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy' recommended using the Estes decals and sensor dish over their poorly detailed AMT counterparts.

I remember reading about that! Thanks for the memory.

While not the old AMT kit, I just picked up the 1:350th scale TOS Enterprise from Polar Lights. She'll look great next to my refit.

While I can certainly see owning the AMT for nostalgia purposes, that is about the only reason. With the Polar Lights kits out there in a wide variety of scales, why bother with anything else?

I had the Klingon kit with littler lights. It looked terrific. I had it hanging in my bedroom with a large moon map (probably about 5'x5') hanging on one wall. If walked to the center of the room, you could see the Klingon ship with the moon in the background.

Mrs bought me one of the AMT Enterprise models (not sure which era TNG probably) about 10 years ago. I never built it.
I was never good with plastic models, always seemed to get the glue where it didnt belong. And if I got the model together, well it looked like a 6yr old painted it by the time I was done (even when I was in high school).
I did see it not too long ago on top of a box-o-junk in the garage. Maybe when I get home, I'll dig it up and give it a whirl. Good project to do in the AC while avoiding all contact with the Texas swelter.

While not the old AMT kit, I just picked up the 1:350th scale TOS Enterprise from Polar Lights. She'll look great next to my refit.

While I can certainly see owning the AMT for nostalgia purposes, that is about the only reason. With the Polar Lights kits out there in a wide variety of scales, why bother with anything else?

That may deserve it's own build thread. Seriously. Do you plan to install the lights package?

For those of you who want to see the kit, https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Class...-EDITION-from-Polar-LightsRound-2_p_2371.html

Greg

The Franz Joseph tech manual lists the "correct" 12. Kongo is one of the "fakes," and the other, I'm pretty sure, is Republic. OK, I've posted it wothout checking just to challange myself; now I'll look it up.

Well, I checked, and I was wrererer. I was wro-rere. I was wro-o-ong.

The Franz Joseph tech manual list the same 14 as the decal sheet. But I've still never heard of the Kongo anywhere else, and I don't think the Republic either. So when Kirk tells U.S. Air Force captain John Christopher that there are only twelve in the fleet, I choose to believe that those are the two he did not mean.

I had the light-up Enterprise. I tried to build it on my own, and broke one of the nacelle supports. "Oh well, I guess there's nothing to do about it" said my mom when I asked for help. (My father's own hobby, heavy drinking, prevented him from helping, and he hated anything to do with SF anyway) I hung on to that model for years, pretending the flopping nacelle was the result of battle damage.

I just barely remember a Klingon with the lighting system. By the time I had the scratch to buy one, and a replacement Enterprise, the lighting system was gone from both. I had a Romulan Warbird too. I gave them all, plus many other plastic models, to a friend's kid before moving out west. I'm sure they didn't last a month . . . crunch-smash!

Well, I checked, and I was wrererer. I was wro-rere. I was wro-o-ong.

The Franz Joseph tech manual list the same 14 as the decal sheet. But I've still never heard of the Kongo anywhere else, and I don't think the Republic either. So when Kirk tells U.S. Air Force captain John Christopher that there are only twelve in the fleet, I choose to believe that those are the two he did not mean.

The 'origin' of the Technical Manual is given in the Forward. Due to the computer malfunction in that same episode, the information was downloaded to the AFB computers.

Back