This just seems wrong especially from a hobby retailer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuddrucker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this on eBay….. just seems wrong (to me at least) that a hobby retailer is trying to sell 2024 Estes catalogs for almost $15 shipped. Especially since they probably got them from Estes for free as a hobby retailer. Maybe I am way off base but this practice just seems greedy.

Fudd

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    531.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeah that's not cool.
But maybe equally uncool is the false advertising that at first glance I thought the Falcon and the Saturn on either side the orange was that Estes is going to produce a realistic shuttle with fall away boosters. 😭😆

They're free, other than shipping, from Estes.

Since the Saturn, Shuttle, and Falcon were not contemporary, it's pretty clear there's a bit of artistic license going on. Not that they would ever have been launched that close together.

I think they left the Shuttle in one piece so you could figure out how to make detachable boosters. My first thoughts about it were to move the dummy fins to mount on the tank, and then mount a third motor in bottom of the tank, in the same plane as the booster motors. It would be better in the shuttle, but that might present some interesting stability problems. The booster motors should be shorter burning than the center motor. The boosters could be mounted by pins in little tubes, supported at launch, and then fall out when they are not thrusting but the center is. Without fins, they might come down sideways and not need chutes. I suppose it would be in poor taste to have the ejection charge blow out the o-rings.

I've seen hobby shops sell the catalogs for a few bucks, but 15 is excessive.

It is greedy, but it's not an outlier when it comes to many businesses and their pricing strategies.

Boo!

I wonder if they actually end up selling any. As mentioned earlier, you can get them for free from Estes. When I used to order kits from AC Supply, they always tossed one in the box for free without me even asking for one. I don’t know if they still do that, but they used to.

Latest posts

Back