thinning proline 4500

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone thinned proline out to less than a honey consistency? I have the standard chemistry set (Hyacol, MEK, Acetone, etc) I need it to flow and I'm out (*gasp*) of JB AND stuck being an indoor kitty with this frickin' flu bug. Not worried about cure time as long as I don't accelerate it. Sure,I could do tests, but it's a PITA to make small samples and hey! What are TRF buddies for?

When I have asked I have been told not to do it. So maybe you are stuck with experimenting. Post your findings

That is the same information I have received. I would PM CJ and see what he thinks. I am pretty sure it is a bad idea, but he is more of an expert on proline adhesives.

Here I be......

You can thin the regular with denatured alcohol.
The black high temp stuff should NOT be thinned.....but I suppose if you really need to ....ahem...ahem...I would NEVER do it.[yeah right] just a tiny tad of alcohol will work...but it does change the property of glue. I did it just to tack stuff.

Hi Jim! I'm gonna try xylene based on the chemical makeup. I'll let everybody know the results but I don't have the lab I used to (with strain gages, etc.) I do have a contact number to the lab that formulates this so I'll have to wait until Monday to give them a call. FWIW- this is actually going into a bastardized Wild Child I should post as the worst build thread ever. I'm sure everybody would laff at the mods I've made, especially after they see what Mark (StickerShock) and I cooked up for decorations. At the least, it's kept me off the streets, out of the pool hall and left several Mother's daughters safer....

Last edited:
Stuff I've read about thinning epoxies is that it weakens it. I think it was West Systems that published emperical data on the affects of varying ratios of alcohol to their epoxy.

For tacking, like Jim is doing, it's not really relevant. For structural purposes, I'd avoid it.

-Kevin

Back