Things you never throw away

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used Estes motors. I throw them in a box. Occasionally use one to install thrust ring in a low power rocket. But mostly, I clean them out with a drill bit, then glue dowel rods in them to make rocket stands. I've made dozens through the years for kids in 4-H to use for fair displays. A 1/2" dowel fit nicely in a standard 18mm motor case, and just the dowel (no motor) works for 13mm rockets. I cut 4x4 inch pieces of 3/4" thick wood (solid or plywood), drill a hole in the center for the dowel and presto, a nice working stand.

Nose cones and parachutes. I try to save parts from crashed rockets if they can be reused. Have quite the collection of Estes parachutes now. I'll never run out. Or buy one to replace a damaged one.

I made a 12' by 10' book shelf for the office. It's full to overflowing. I have BIG box of paperbacks. Like John Carter of Mars. Loved that series.

I pick up the used igniter wires after the launches. I have a lot of the stuff you all have mentioned.

Used Estes motors. I throw them in a box. Occasionally use one to install thrust ring in a low power rocket. But mostly, I clean them out with a drill bit, then glue dowel rods in them to make rocket stands. I've made dozens through the years for kids in 4-H to use for fair displays. A 1/2" dowel fit nicely in a standard 18mm motor case, and just the dowel (no motor) works for 13mm rockets. I cut 4x4 inch pieces of 3/4" thick wood (solid or plywood), drill a hole in the center for the dowel and presto, a nice working stand.
Anti-pro tip: For a cheap and dirty version of this, just glue the spent case directly to a 4×4 piece of cardboard. Not much for display, but good for storage and painting. I keep several on hand.

That single sock missing it's match because one day...
Because one day I'll lose another one from the same six pack of pairs, and then I'll have an even number again.

Back